Thought Art

How do I overcome the fear of being 'canceled'

9 posts in this topic

I am afraid of being accused of things I didn't do, or canceled because I said something that offended people. Each time I see someone canceled in the media I have trigger and feel a tonne of fear. How should I go about getting over this fear? I don't feel like an offensive person and am pretty unity based in my thinking but still. 

Afraid of having my dreams ripped out of my hands. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Carry yourself with such high integrity and be such an example that nobody reasonable would question you or take any accusations seriously.

hrhrhtewgfegege

@SLuxy Is there a way I can read that without downloading it 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Maybe get a piece of paper and write out: "What would be so bad about being canceled?" on the top. 
then right your answer. Then to that new answer, write out, "what would be so bad about x" 
then to that next answer, write out, "what would be so bad about y" 
and keep going down further and further until you get to a core/root fear.
I did this myself this morning on the same topic. My answer was that I would be afraid that if I got canceled while being my authentic self, that would mean that I wasn't allowed or couldn't be my authentic self and operate in the world. If this is the case, I would rather die. haha. But of course, we can be ourselves and operate in this world. We just have to prioritize what we think and feel over others. Easier said than done. This is a teal swan inspired method. But here's another one [it is a jay shetty inspired method]: 

1. Write out the ways in which you can't control other's perceptions and why

2. Ask yourself: How does this make me more considerate of the things in which I choose to include in my life? How can I find the things that I enjoy enough and value in my life that will allow me to let go of this attachment I have? (maybe it's a reputation attachment?) who knows :) we all have irrational fears my love. You are not alone <3 

Edited by Gianna

wait a sec, the guy had talked about his fear of being sexually accused by women legally, was that guy you? 

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

@Thought Art

On 15/09/2021 at 6:17 PM, Thought Art said:

I am afraid of being accused of things I didn't do, or canceled because I said something that offended people. Each time I see someone canceled in the media I have trigger and feel a tonne of fear. How should I go about getting over this fear? I don't feel like an offensive person and am pretty unity based in my thinking but still. 

Afraid of having my dreams ripped out of my hands. 

A combination of contemplation and mindfulness practices. Also, don't worry, celebrities and millionaires are common targets of cancelling, not so much entrepreneurs that are starting out. Also, as long as you have some passions, and some skills, if on the off chance you get cancelled in one area, you have another area to work instead.

You are always going to make enemies on your way to success. Even if you are the most noble, loving, hardworking, competent, high integrity, intelligent person in the world; If you have some measure of success there will be a significant group of people that will take great joy and delight in taking you down.

That's how this works. And you have to see that as an opportunity of growth for yourself.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)