TheSelf

Loving physical pain

23 posts in this topic

It's 5 am, I woke up about two hours ago because of a lot of pain below my right rib, now it expanded to my whole stomach area, I don't know what it is but I've been suffering from this pain for the past 2-3 years, maybe it's Gallbladder,I don't know, I haven't investigated into the issue yet.

Im still in a lot of pain and usually it takes a few hours before it goes away.

What I'm trying to do now is to calm down and just be, watch myself experiencing the pain.

Just stay relaxed and love the pain, why I can't just love the pain and allow it to ruin my happiness? Sure it's hurting a lot, but if I do this at some point I may transcend suffering from physical pain and go to the next level in my spiritual journey...

Wish me luck! ??

Edited by m0hsen

17 minutes ago, Godishere said:

Ummm.. go to a Dr maybe?..

I've been trying to heal myself with spiritual tools and energy healings, still no luck!

I've been in a similar situation before, trying to transcend the pain by observing and contemplating it. It's tough. Good luck. 

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, 'This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful.' The moment you see it, the head stops running thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts running. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

Pain is not supposed to feel good. That is its point.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

8 hours ago, Osaid said:

I've been in a similar situation before, trying to transcend the pain by observing and contemplating it. It's tough. Good luck. 

it's really really though man, like the pain can get so intense like the way I experienced it today you kinda shift into an altered state of consciousness, you don't know anything anymore! you don't care about anything anymore! all you care about is getting relief from the pain. btw the peace after the paint is gone is so beautiful.

Peter Ralston (from the booklist ;) ) wrote some interesting things in "The Book of Not Knowing" about pain..

You can derive it from simple logic

Left means not right

8 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

@m0hsen Have tried inquiring into the root of the pain/suffering?

Ignorant and unconscious way of living?

37 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Pain is not supposed to feel good. That is its point.

but Ego avoid pain and seeks pleasure while God equally love pain and pleasure, I just don't know how one can practically get near to that state which you become more and more ok and stay peaceful while experiencing intense pain.

like this monk:

The-burning-monk-1963-small.jpg

at my current state it's literally unpractical to be like that while I'm in intense stomach, liver pain forget about the firing monk.

15 minutes ago, IAmReallyImportant said:

Peter Ralston (from the booklist ;) ) wrote some interesting things in "The Book of Not Knowing" about pain..

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Edited by m0hsen

@m0hsen Do you want to end up like that monk? Be careful what you wish for.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

You could also check out Scott Kiloby. He has some very interesting tools for working with chronic pain. And he suggests that a lot of chronic pain is actually caused by unconscious repressed emotions and beliefs that can be seen and released trough inquiry. This is how he claims he healed himself from severe chronic pain in his spine. Shinzen Young also has some good Vipassana techniques for dealing with pain. You could get his audio book called natural pain relief or something like that. He claims that as long as sensory clarity, concentration and equanimity is strong enough, there will be no suffering regardless of the intensity of the pain, right up the fainting point. Also as one goes into the pain it can break up into a flow pattern rather than being dense, then it feels like the pain is massaging and purifying you. Good luck!

9 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Why would he burn himself? What is the value of that? I think any real spiritual teacher will never be interested in such stunts. They value their lives more, I think.

I am the only thing stopping myself from receiving infinite Love form Myself. I am Infinite Love for god sake.

I have personally experienced myself having intense contractions in my body, especially heart area and stomach.  And I couldn't find any emotional quality or stories connected to it for a long time, it just felt like random pain. But that's because the stories and emotions wouldn't present themselves to me by simply feeling it or resting as awareness because they were repressed.  By inquiring into the reoccurring body contractions, I realized that these contractions where to a large degree the manifestation of  unconscious deficiency stories about myself (I am incapable, I am unworthy, etc.) and repressed emotions

Edited by yolosmoothie

Imagine this. 

You are so loyal to your own survival, that you are willing to create pain when something is wrong with your rib. This pain is so intense that you have to dedicate considerable amount of resources and time to fix the issue, or else you will die - or at least, your life will be living hell.

That is some serious dedication. As if, you were loving yourself by creating this pain. Think about this.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

34 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I don't wanna burn myself like that monk, but I see value reaching that transcendent state of consciousness, I want to keep being happy & peaceful no matter what happens to my body. I don't think the monk was in a hellish experience while he was in fire, I think he was free from any kind of suffering including physical pain.

Edited by m0hsen

26 minutes ago, yolosmoothie said:

You could also check out Scott Kiloby. He has some very interesting tools for working with chronic pain. And he suggests that a lot of chronic pain is actually caused by unconscious repressed emotions and beliefs that can be seen and released trough inquiry. This is how he claims he healed himself from severe chronic pain in his spine. Shinzen Young also has some good Vipassana techniques for dealing with pain. You could get his audio book called natural pain relief or something like that. He claims that as long as sensory clarity, concentration and equanimity is strong enough, there will be no suffering regardless of the intensity of the pain, right up the fainting point. Also as one goes into the pain it can break up into a flow pattern rather than being dense, then it feels like the pain is massaging and purifying you. Good luck!

Interesting! Thanks! ?? I'll check these out.

23 minutes ago, yolosmoothie said:

I have personally experienced myself having intense contractions in my body, especially heart area and stomach.  And I couldn't find any emotional quality or stories connected to it for a long time, it just felt like random pain. But that's because the stories and emotions wouldn't present themselves to me by simply feeling it or resting as awareness because they were repressed.  By inquiring into the reoccurring body contractions, I realized that these contractions where to a large degree the manifestation of  unconscious deficiency stories about myself (I am incapable, I am unworthy, etc.) and repressed emotions

How did you end up realizing that? Did you just get an insight into the source of the pain by concentration?

44 minutes ago, tsuki said:

Imagine this. 

You are so loyal to your own survival, that you are willing to create pain when something is wrong with your rib. This pain is so intense that you have to dedicate considerable amount of resources and time to fix the issue, or else you will die - or at least, your life will be living hell.

That is some serious dedication. As if, you were loving yourself by creating this pain. Think about this.

Interesting, But that's the ego-self! Imagine you reach a state of consciousness which you transcend the ego-self unconditionally love yourself, with or without a body! ?

Edited by m0hsen

14 hours ago, m0hsen said:

It's 5 am, I woke up about two hours ago because of a lot of pain below my right rib, now it expanded to my whole stomach area, I don't know what it is but I've been suffering from this pain for the past 2-3 years, maybe it's Gallbladder,I don't know, I haven't investigated into the issue yet.

Im still in a lot of pain and usually it takes a few hours before it goes away.

What I'm trying to do now is to calm down and just be, watch myself experiencing the pain.

Just stay relaxed and love the pain, why I can't just love the pain and allow it to ruin my happiness? Sure it's hurting a lot, but if I do this at some point I may transcend suffering from physical pain and go to the next level in my spiritual journey...

Wish me luck! ??

This is a interesting topic.  My first precaution would be at least first to see if its actually not just a real physical issue before going down the road of acceptance.  

That said, I've discovered or at least played around with certain ways of looking at and approaching pain that seem to help accept and or transcend.

Now I don't know how much you've looked into what pain is, but here's some food for thought.

When pain seems to arise, is it actually "real" (this can be its own worthwhile inquirey, to find out what real is to you in general, and worth 10-10,000 hrs of contemplation)?  I'm sure you've at least once or twice in your life, believed, felt or saw something that seemed to be what it seemed to be, only to find out that it wasn't, or not even close to what you were certain and sure of.  If you can really let this in, then when pain arises, you can leave room or space to ask the honest question, is this "what I think and feel as pain" actually as it seems.   You see, felt pain, is so certain and true, that to even ask this question for many seems crazy and would never be considered.  However, if you've seen time and time again, that just because its felt and seen that way as your experience, doesn't mean its actually the way it seems to be.  This one insight, in my opinion has lead to a number of breakthroughs in non-reaction to thought, emotions, pain, others, life circumstances.  And it can be taken to such extremes that ya, the being on fire like the monk, may just be a passing background something or other.

Now of course, this will most likely not all happen suddenly, it will probably take a tremendous amount of what feels like will power, commitment and practice, and sometimes will lead to stupid results, because sometimes its best to just go to the doctors and get something for a parasite infection, but if you've looked into your issue and no one seems to be able to figure out whats going on, then, yea this path can be a god send and can create the willingness of mind and strength to practice, since your going to be in "pain" anyways with the issue :)