Dan502

Dr. K

10 posts in this topic

Hello

I couldn't see any existing references to Dr. K on the forum and wondered if it might be beneficial to bring this individual to members' attention as he tends to teach coaching and a range of meditation techniques. He produces content through his organisation Healthy Gamer, on Twitch and YouTube.

Dr. Alok Kanojia as he's more formally known, was at one point playing too many videogames, so his father sent him to India where he spent seven years training to become a monk. However, he met a girl, fell in love and decided to come back to the US again. Upon returning, he completed his degree and went on to become a qualified psychiatrist at Harvard medical school.

Rather than pursuing a traditional career, Alok founded Healthy Gamer. We might say that he wants to help his former self, the loser who played too many videogames. Dr. K combines experience from both his psychiatry and his spiritual training to provide coaching sessions to individuals, some of which are streamed publically and shared as videos.

He recently mentioned both Neti Neti and Siddhis, which made me think about Actualized.org. I've not heard him mention Spiral Dynamics but he managed to hold a room containing both David Pakman and a passionate Trump supporter recently as a demonstration of the power of empathetic listening and understanding. Admittedly Pakman didn't speak much.

Edited by Dan502
removal of excessive spacing at end of post

Profound Familiarity
An Audio Journal

Dr. K's awesome.  I've recommended his stuff to people and have referenced him here and there in different episode summaries.  I bought his Guides to Meditation, Anxiety and Depression.  Totally worth it.  His channel is great too.  I listen to Healthy Gamer while I'm gaming, so I can get healthier while I game.  Very meta.

@Dan502 I followed quite a bit of his content and I think what he's doing is great for the video game community.

I wish he had more spiritual teachers on though. I think he's a great bridge for people to become interested in spirituality, but I find the content of his meditations etc to be wanting.

Overall I really like what he does though

8 hours ago, FlyingLotus said:

Dr. K's awesome.  I've recommended his stuff to people and have referenced him here and there in different episode summaries.  I bought his Guides to Meditation, Anxiety and Depression.  Totally worth it.  His channel is great too.  I listen to Healthy Gamer while I'm gaming, so I can get healthier while I game.  Very meta.

Are you as good at video games as you are organizing and sorting Leo's content haha:ph34r:

I'm average.  I mostly play RPGs so luckily my skills don't affect anyone but me.  

Dr.K's guide on meditation is way way, more extensive than any meditation stuff he does on his channel, but of course it's not free.  

@FlyingLotus Ahh. I really liked Skyrim and AC Black Flag, but I don't find many RPGS i really like.

Are Dr K's meditations your main practice?

I've been working my way through Dr.K's meditations.  There are 26 modules.  

I have a bunch of different meditations I do depending on the situation.  The Satisfaction meditation is good.  The meditation from Leo's episode on Dealing with Strong Negative Emotion is super underrated and very effective if you get good at it.  

Edited by FlyingLotus

@FlyingLotus Wow I'm surprised he has something that in-depth. 

I've found that the fit between student and teaching is the most important factor. You can't really assess teachers in a vacuum. 

I think Leo and Dr K would be an interesting conversations... I'd pay to see that haha