Derek White

Sadhguru's Religious And Cultural Bias

59 posts in this topic

I thought I would share this video of Sadhguru supporting the religious extremist ideology Hindutva. This video really shows his cultural and religious bias, and more importantly his ignorance of history and politics. Look at the word he uses, "They have been trying to dismantle Hinduism for 1000s of years...", "What you call Hindu is the future of the world." The 'us' versus 'them' dynamic. It seems he thinks everyone is conspiring to overthrow his religion. Such paranoia, which will eventually spread among his followers. He is ignorant of so much outside of the narrow field of spirituality. It is not that surprising because in order for him to run his Yoga organization at such a big scale he has to be on the good side of the pro-Hindutva government. 

For some context:

What is Hindutva? Hindutva is NOT Hinduism. In short, you can think of it as Hinduism's version of Islamism. Hindutva is a political ideology which is literally inspired by Nazism and Italian Fascism. The term was popularized by a man named Savarkar who was also involved in Gandhi's assassination. It also wants to turn India into a Hindu-Nation run by Hindu laws (sounds familiar right). Hindutva is not 1000s of years old as Sadhguru claims, it is barely 100 years old. This ideology is used to intimidate and spread hate against religious minorities, and is often espoused by politicians giving hate speeches against Muslims. It is inherently undemocratic and it a thread to not only religious minorities but to people's civil liberties, women's rights, religious freedoms, intellectuals, universities, free press and journalism, and much more. Hindu extremism has been a problem in India for a long time, leading to pogroms, riots, lynching, and discrimination; it has lead to the deaths of thousands of people in the past. I don't think Sadhguru knows any of this. 

What is "Dismantling Of Global Hinduism"? It is a name of a conference on Twitter by some American Academics who wish to put a stop to this hateful ideology and differentiate it from Hinduism. It seems Sadhguru knows nothing about them either, he heard "Dismantling... Hindutva" and immediately became defensive. Check out their website if you are interested: https://dismantlinghindutva.com/

“Many talk like philosophers yet live like fools.” — Proverb

Sadhguru understands that India is still developing thru Stage Blue.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

14 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I don't you understand what going on in India. You keep making dumb statements about it.

All that matters to this discussion is that India is mired in deep Blue. It's super underdeveloped.

So what do you expect?

22 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

All that matters to this discussion is that India is mired in deep Blue. It's super underdeveloped.

So what do you expect?

You overestimate that. There are various gradations of stage blue. Stage blue has increased in India over the years and Sadhguru is fanning the flames instead of helping. India has less freedoms and more poverty than it did 10 years ago. People are more hateful now. Sadhguru is not supporting progress here. I lived in India and things like this were not as normal back then as they are now.

If tomorrow a religious dictatorship takes over India and Sadhguru supports it, you will say, "India is mired in stage blue, Sadhguru know that, oh well, moving on...". It's a huge oversight on your part.

I think you are using the spiral dynamic too much and getting lost in the big picture, not understanding the nuances on the ground. 

Edited by Derek White

Yeah part of his popularity is because of his blue talking points. No way would he have his success in India without that image 

but in the video he also basically said lets be inclusive for non hindus (that means nothing though) and drop the caste system (that seems pretty progressive)

48 minutes ago, Derek White said:

If tomorrow a religious dictatorship takes over India and Sadhguru supports it, you will say, "India is mired in stage blue, Sadhguru know that, oh well, moving on...". It's a huge oversight on your part.

I'm well aware of the dangers of Hindu nationalism/fascism. Obviously that's a danger that must be avoided.

17 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

but in the video he also basically said lets be inclusive for non hindus (that means nothing though) and drop the caste system (that seems pretty progressive)

He says Hindus need to stop discriminating each other and become united (I don't think he means non-hindus), but he says that... while supporting an ideology that hates other religions and promotes extreme conservatism. 

Being against caste system is as progressive as being against racism. Which is to say it is what we expect everyone to be.

58 minutes ago, Derek White said:

Which is to say it is what we expect everyone to be.

In the west. 

1 hour ago, Opo said:

In the west. 

In India too. People here are very ignorant about cultures outside of USA. You guys categorize China, India, Afghanistan, and Russia as one big blue when in reality it's much more complicated. TBH yall have a pretty biased view against other places.

Edited by Derek White

Actually sadhguru even though is a great guy, I see in him certain defensiveness about hinduism. For example of you went to J. Krishnamurti or Osho and critiziced something about India or hinduism they would have not given a damn, they even even critiziced it themselves to the point of humilliation all the time. You better believe sadhguru would get offended, and he has debated people for this topics. He may not be offended but it will attack with some sarcasm or laugh at your side back in some way.

Edited by AminB501

Sadhguru is a stage green hippie, nothing more than that. You haven't met real masters if you think Sadhguru knows all. 

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

nope. He isn't trying to help. If you look at his speeches related to politics, you'll find the same Stage green narratives used by the likes of SJWs/Celebs.

This isn't a sign of Stage yellow. A stage yellow person and above would not even care about the conference regarding one religion.

India is still developing through Stage purple, red and blue, I agree. 

Edited by Enlighten

4 minutes ago, Enlighten said:

Sadhguru is a stage green hippie, nothing more than that.

Haha, have you met stage green people? With their culture wars, and judgements of lower stages? Sadhguru doesn't judge, that's the key.

2 minutes ago, Stovo said:

With their culture wars, and judgements of lower stages?

The OG video literally shows Sadhguru judging 'some people' for trying to dismantle Hindutva for '1000 years' . Comparing them with 'dogs'.

People in the west have a very holy image of Sadhguru. If you do a simple Youtube search about his political opinions, you'd find he is full of bs. He attends political conferences related to Right wing governments, has connections to other people who openly support the current regime.

This is the guy you all are defending:

Oh man I don't usually enjoy vegan ideology, but man this guy is good at ripping into this charlatan.

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

21 minutes ago, flowboy said:

This is the guy you all are defending:

Oh man I don't usually enjoy vegan ideology, but man this guy is good at ripping into this charlatan.

the first video had some great points 

the last video i'm not so sure about

thanks for posting them though i learned something