Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Raze

Culadasa has died

18 posts in this topic

https://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/message/23181118

John Yates, aka Culadasa, died yesterday of complications of cancer. For those who didn't know him, he helped write the book The Mind Illuminated, which has been somewhat popular in pragmatic circles.

Sending best wishes to all who cared for him.

Culadasa (John Yates, Ph.D.) is a meditation master with over four decades of experience in the Tibetan and Theravadin Buddhist traditions. He taught physiology and neuroscience for many years at the Universities of Calgary and British Columbia. Later, he worked at the forefront of healthcare education and therapeutic massage, serving as the founding director of the West Coast College of Massage Therapy. Culadasa retired from academia in 1996, moving into an old Apache stronghold in the Arizona wilderness, where he deepened his spiritual practice. Culadasa’s book, The Mind Illuminated, is the first comprehensive guide to Buddhist meditation for a Western audience. It combines age-old teachings with the latest research in cognitive psychology and neuroscience, providing meditators with step-by-step guidance for every stage of the path – from your very first sit, all the way to mastery of the deepest states of peace and insight. This is the clear, friendly, and in-depth meditation manual that people have been waiting for. In addition to teaching meditation, Culadasa is the author of the groundbreaking book, A Physician’s Guide to Therapeutic Massage, which has been through several editions and is still frequently used in classrooms today. He is also a lifelong sitar player and an amateur woodworker, with several hand-carved canoes hanging from the ceiling of his workshop.

Edited by Raze

I don't understand how such a venerated meditation teacher ended up cheating on his wife with up to 10 woman

9 minutes ago, Raptorsin7 said:

I don't understand how such a venerated meditation teacher ended up cheating on his wife with up to 10 woman

Shows that enlightenment won't for certain fix behavior "issues":  waking up ain't growing up. 

It's also not an unheard of thing for meditation masters to be scandalous.  

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

What a beautifully wonderful human being... He will be missed. But no one truly lost him.

41 minutes ago, Raptorsin7 said:

He said that they were already divorcing. I don't doubt he was realized, in his last years he was kicked out of his organization, getting divorced, said he was borderline destitute, and told he didn't have many years to live, and he seemed pretty calm and happy all things considered. 

Edited by Raze

He has not died, he has Awoken.

Namaste

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

13 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Namaste

❤️ 

25 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Namaste

??❤️ 

Nothing but gratitude for this man and his contributions to humanity. 

His last interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdiW7_HcjiE

Interesting details:

he believed he wasn't dying soon - reminder every day is a gift

despite liberation his lung collapsing causing him to wake up every 20 minutes gasping for air made him contemplate if it was worth living, and this spurred him into another insight. Still claims he wasn't suffering though, not sure how that works.

he had no one in the area he could call to take him to the ER, he mentions he let his relationships fall away without noticing due to his liberation

everything in the universe is fractal including the mind

Edited by Raze

On 9/14/2021 at 0:51 PM, Leo Gura said:

Namaste

"Death is us at our highest potential." Mike Tyson

I'm really thankful for his contributions, without him I probably wouldn't have got into the whole meditation and spiritual practice thing. I hope from the bottom of my heart that whatever is after death, if there is anything, treats him well.

On 13/09/2021 at 10:58 PM, Raze said:

He said that they were already divorcing. I don't doubt he was realized, in his last years he was kicked out of his organization, getting divorced, said he was borderline destitute, and told he didn't have many years to live, and he seemed pretty calm and happy all things considered. 

Probably just some lame excuse.

Lots of cheaters will use this excuse to cheat but in most cases, they are just unhappy with their marriages, most haven't talked about divorce at all with their spouses but go on cheating thinking it's justifiable.

8 hours ago, Recursoinominado said:

Probably just some lame excuse.

Lots of cheaters will use this excuse to cheat but in most cases, they are just unhappy with their marriages, most haven't talked about divorce at all with their spouses but go on cheating thinking it's justifiable.

bro who gives a shit he is dead.

5 hours ago, Raze said:

bro who gives a shit he is dead.

Well, that can be said about this thread also.