JuliusCaesar

Are you an Empath?

35 posts in this topic

Actually, you know what. It wasn't right of me to say. It doesn't come from insecurities, maybe shadow. But, to put it simply I caused my own suffering by buying into the empath paradigm. The idea increased my ability to be empathetic, thus I suffered more. So the label it self has a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't know why I made that comment originally, since I made it a few days ago. t's not like me to talk that way anymore. I'm guessing someone else had me partially fluttered at the time. 

I'm not happy with the comment. I wasn't happy with it when I made it either and I don't want to upset or invalidate anyone. Then on top of it use reasoning to justify my wrongs.

I apologize.

I believe everyone deserves empathy. My philosophy though is to put my empathy into a glass box. That way, it doesn't take an emotional toll on me too much. I can access it whenever I want. I can see through the box to see what's in it. When the toll is taken on me because of empathy, it can lead to me making bad decisions in order to free myself or others of the bad emotions I am feeling. This is what I mean by balance, not me cutting off my empathy for others completely lol. Just make sure we are stable and integral ourselves when we are helping others due to our empathy.

Edited by Nos7algiK

@Nos7algiK if you are being empathetic to others the one thing I can suggest is to have an exclusive list of personal boundaries and enforce them strictly. 

Often as an empath, my biggest struggle was attracting energy vampires who would constantly feed on my energy almost trying to destroy me for their gain in the name of asking for empathy 

I remember a discussion with a member on the forum a few months back where they gave me an important oversight. 

They told me that I was being foolish empath by trying to help any Tom Dick and Harry. They told me about the concept of the Wise Empath. 

Which means helping only those who genuinely deserve help and not get exploited by people who predate on your energy. 

It's difficult and you need a tough screening filter and a whole set of tough boundaries, that's your arsenal. 

It's like if you have decided to be an empath or worker, carry a flask with you.. And a flashlight. 

In my past I often helped the wrong kind of people. Who drained my empathy or used me for their purpose. Because of this, when I saw people who genuinely needed help, I was completely drained by that point and unable to help. 

If you are an empath, the world becomes extra difficult because of these challenges. So in order to not be drained, be on the look out to remove and cut off people who drain you so you are left with enough energy to Help those who genuinely deserve help. 

This is something all empaths should keep in mind. 

The biggest challenge for an empath is that they feel they should stop being an empath because they are hit with negative experiences. 

The wisdom here is not to stop being an empath. But to use your empathy as a precious asset to be used carefully and wisely. There is no need to stop being an empath. 

You should invent smarter and better and more efficient ways of being an empath. There is a definitely way around this problem without cutting on empathy. 

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Preety_India

I appreciate the advice, but I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing there lol.....

I do agree with what you are saying, but I'm not trying to make the statement at all we should be less empathetic. Rather, we should go meta on empathy to see how to best use it. Step outside of empathy and look at it from the outside as a whole. Though this meta perspective does involve some of what you say like cutting people out and seeing who truly deserves our help.

11 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

The wisdom here is not to stop being an empath. But to use your empathy as a precious asset to be used carefully and wisely. There is no need to stop being an empath. 

This is literally what I am saying lol. It is very unhealthy to just absorbed everything around us or act on every feeling we have due to this emotional osmosis. 

There is no problem also. There was just a moment in time where I made a comment due to circumstances in my life in which my perception of them caused me, by my own choice or lack of control, to be slightly more rigid and say something that was not true to how I felt at the moment.

Other than that, my lessons on empathy have been learned and I don't feel like I need to investigate my own emotions towards this concept more to have a deeper understanding out of the feeling of lack or misrepresentation. Though, I do assume regardless of how I feel about it now I will learn more about it in time.

Edited by Nos7algiK

11 minutes ago, Nos7algiK said:

This is literally what I am saying lol. It is very unhealthy to just absorbed everything around us or act on every feeling we have due to this emotional osmosis. 

Emotional osmosis is a good way of defining the way I used to act in the past. I used to literally absorb other's pain, sometimes even fake pain. 

They were people who would beg me for money 

And later I would find out they were scammers and they never needed the money. 

Your advice is correct. One shouldn't absorb Like a sponge. 

I feel it's important to assess one's empathetic score to evaluate one's personality and avoid being exploited in the future. 

Once you are aware that you are an empath, it makes things easier for you. 

I recommend this idea. Every psychologist should carry an empathy screening tests on clients. The ones with high scores need to be trained to use their empathy wisely and should undergo a rigorous training program in boundary enforcement. 

This will protect them from future exploitation. 

In my personal experience working with other empaths, I found similar stories of exploitation and abuse where their own empathy was weaponized against them 

I wish more empaths took screening tests for empathy and appropriate measures for self protection since empaths are highly likely to be exploited by scammers, cheaters, psychopaths, narcissists, sociopaths and all sorts of energy vampires and vultures. 

An empath is like a blood soaked sardine to a shark. Narcissists and sociopaths can smell an empath from a hundred miles away. 

Edited by Preety_India

17 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

Emotional osmosis is a good way of defining the way I used to act in the past. I used to literally absorb other's pain, sometimes even fake pain. 

They were people who would beg me for money 

And later I would find out they were scammers and they never needed the money. 

It's a tricky situation when empathy kicks in. It's not like a super power that's 100% correct and many can use it against us. It's extremally difficult to deny the feelings we feel or look the other direction. But, a certain level of trust and wisdom will be built up using our direct experiences. Both the good ones and the bad ones. Similar how one needs to build up a relationship with their own intuition as well.

I recommend this idea. Every psychologist should carry an empathy screening tests on clients. The ones with high scores need to be trained to use their empathy wisely and should undergo a rigorous training program in boundary enforcement. 

I would agree with this. 

In my personal experience working with other empaths, I found similar stories of exploitation and abuse where their own empathy was weaponized against them 

An empath is like a blood soaked sardine to a shark. Narcissists and sociopaths can smell an empath from a hundred miles away. 

I've noticed this as well. Truly is tragic in some cases. It's a shame such good people, or at least people with good intent I should say, are exploited by those only to seek personal gain. I find the whole empath/narcissist situation to be a phenomena and one of the most profound social dichotomies we can witness. It's surreal how these "opposites" attract and many highly empathetic people get into relationships with narcissists. Which the narcissists seems to only gain from and many empaths come out broken from it. Though, some do find their some of their greatest strengths by overcoming this paradigm and gaining awareness to what is happening.

A difficult lesson to learn was that of loving narcissists just as much as I love others after many bad experiences with them. I mean I'm not going to go out and befriend them lol. But, demonizing them wasn't healthy for me. 

Edited by Nos7algiK

13 minutes ago, Nos7algiK said:

It's a tricky situation when empathy kicks in. It's not like a super power that's 100% correct and many can use it against us. It's extremally difficult to deny the feelings we feel or look the other direction. But, a certain level of trust and wisdom will be built up using our direct experiences. Both the good ones and the bad ones. Similar how one needs to build up a relationship with their own intuition as well.

I would agree with this. 

I've noticed this as well. Truly is tragic in some cases. It's a shame such good people, or at least people with good intent I should say, are exploited by those only to seek personal gain. I find the whole empath/narcissist situation to be a phenomena and one of the most profound social dichotomies we can witness. It's surreal how these "opposites" attract and many highly empathetic people get into relationships with narcissists. Which the narcissists seems to only gain from and many empaths come out broken from it. Though, some do find their some of their greatest strengths by overcoming this paradigm and gaining awareness to what is happening.

A difficult lesson to learn was that of loving narcissists just as much as I love others after many bad experiences with them. I mean I'm not going to go out and befriend them lol. But, demonizing them wasn't healthy for me. 

One cardinal rule that I want to follow in my life is to never judge a book by its cover. 

Some people appear sweet but stab you from the back 

Some people appear rough and rude and unpleasant but they have a golden heart and a soft core. 

The other thing that I learned is that the simplest people are the best people. 

In order to understand the intricacies of life, one has to study the human mind. The human mind is always attracted to wrong things. We are attracted to junk food instead of healthy food. It takes a lot of mind training and Consciousness training to start liking healthy things. Similarly we are always attracted to something more different, unique, wilder and adventurous 

As a result we're naturally drawn to complicated people. This is a scam. Complicated people no matter how interesting they appear, can be downright dangerous to be around. They can mess with your brain to a degree where you reach a point of no return. This phenomenon is usually observed with cult leaders. People are fascinated by their charm and unique complexity of character. This is just our brain on opioid. In reality there is nothing fascinating about them. They do more harm than good. Yet they present themselves as charming and attractive. Our brain cannot resist this kind of charm. Our brain is not trained to like simple things. 

This is how people get addicted to toxic people, just like they get addicted to junk food 

People find simple people boring. But in reality you will feel much better around simple folks. They might not be charming like narcissists yet they are not going to play mind games with you. 

If you are dealing with a complicated person, it usually doesn't end well. It's the price you pay for the adventure. Their complex behavior will eventually ruin your psychologically and that's not easy to deal with. It's like playing with fire. You will get burned one way or another. It's not worth it in the end. 

Sometimes... It also changes from the person to person whom I am interacting with. If the person in the question truly deserves to be treated well, I don't hesitate to feel as intense empathy as possible towards him/her. I have a switch inside my brain which allows me to turn on and off both my emotions and the ability to feel empathy. I exploit this circuit to my best ability.

Empaths must not watch this.

Warning: Almost graphic content.

I believe the girl was paid to do so.

10 hours ago, hyruga said:

Empaths must not watch this.

Warning: Almost graphic content.

I believe the girl was paid to do so.

My heart sank watching that video. I tried to love it, but from an ordinary state of consciousness I found that to be difficult.

"SHE SHOULD BE SKINNED ALIVE.

Once her identity is found the authorities should give her the death sentence. All animal abusers out there should be stoned"

^from 2:08 in the video. Is it just me, or is stage Green eerily similar to stage Blue?

Potestas Infinitas, Libertas Infinitas, Auctoritas Infinitas.

Euh...

*I* am reading in YOUR mind right now and i can tell what YOU think.

As proof:  YOU do NOT believe my present statement, probably because YOU've got something else in mind...

So for me it's a win-win situation, one way or another i win.  At most it's a kif-kif!

Hummm...  What model of nails capet should i acquire from eBay?  ...  Choices!!  A BlueTooth one for starters, most certainly.

Bring empathetic is a great quality. But overly empathetic to the point it hurts the person that has the empathy is not. It comes down to a lack of awareness of that person. The reason we have empathy for others is because it helps us help other people. If the empathy hurts the person it defeats the purpose. Again, it boils down to a lack of awareness.

Therefore, parole should be careful with labeling themselves as an “empath” because it can become a negative self fulfilling prophecy. Which can lead to victimhood, martyrdom, anxiety and depression.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

Your Results:

Your Super Serious Title is: The Wild Empath

Your Total Score: 53 out of 80
Your Out of Control Healer Score: 5 out of 10
Your Protection Tools Score: 16 out of 25
How Much You Mirror Others Unconsciously Score: 12 out of 15
Your Appreciation for Nature Score: 9 out of 10

You scored pretty high on the overall results. It is highly likely that you are an empath.

You can get by socially, although it sounds like your intuitive social skills could be better. You like water but don't absolutely need to be near it. Your second chakra does okay. You love nature and unconsciously understand its healing effects -- which is a general, but strong indicator that you are an empath. You like nature and love to experience it's healing properties! But you seem fairly normal -- able to influence people at times.

It looks like once in a while other people's energy effects you. You scored fairly poor on the "Mirroring Others Unconsciously" portion of the quiz. It looks like you have a tendency to mirror other people and their energy. Your score indicates that you would benefit from learning to run energy, ground yourself, and protect your aura.

You are pretty good at protecting your aura and energy space, but might benefit from energy work. Lastly, you aren't out to heal the entire world and fix everyone's problems. Good job!  --- Yay me! :P 

---

Personally, I think the biggest thing I face is like pleasing others, I think coming from some sort of fear of something bad happening if they dislike me and of conflict.  Thus I get out of my "power" and personal authenticity.  

I think I'm getting better and knowing when to not initiate, or not continuing to initiate and act like I'm still willing to converse and listen, when I know I feel low energy and need to replenish and don't have anything to give.  

Still a work in progress but I guess that's just it, it takes practice. 

I definitely agree with the nature thing though.  Big source of calm for me. 

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

Your Super Serious Title is: The Rainbow Goddess Empath

Your Total Score: 59 out of 80
Your Out of Control Healer Score: 4 out of 10
Your Protection Tools Score: 20 out of 25
How Much You Mirror Others Unconsciously Score: 12 out of 15
Your Appreciation for Nature Score: 8 out of 10

You scored pretty high on the overall results. It is highly likely that you are an empath.

You can get by socially, although it sounds like your intuitive social skills could be better. You may want to look into getting energy work and healing done on your second chakra. Usually people that prefer to be around water have blocks in their second chakras. You love nature and unconsciously understand its healing effects -- which is a general, but strong indicator that you are an empath. Your appreciation for nature is lacking. You would benefit from meditating in the forest. But you seem fairly normal -- able to influence people at times.

You need to learn how to recognize and differentiate other people's energy from yours. Learning psychic/empathic meditation tools will help. You scored fairly poor on the "Mirroring Others Unconsciously" portion of the quiz. It looks like you have a tendency to mirror other people and their energy. Your score indicates that you would benefit from learning to run energy, ground yourself, and protect your aura.

You scored pretty low on the "Has Protection Tools" section of the quiz. This means that you need to learn how to protect your aura. You also might benefit from cord-removal and other energy work. And in terms of being a healer, you more or less are good at keeping other peoples troubles out of your life.