Mz Hyde

Hard time choosing my life purpose

9 posts in this topic

I'm really struggling with making this decision.

Ever since I was little I've been very passionate about all kind of artsy things. By the end of my teenage years I became very good at ethno singing, drawing realistic portraits and writing (I went to various competitions in all three areas and I had pretty good results). At that time I went to a tango workshop and not only did I like it very much, but the instructor also told me that I was very talented.

In high school I became very interested in psychology and after graduation I started studying this field at university and I'm currently the best student in my department. I'm very passionate about personal development, I love both studying and practising it.

Am I too scared to pursue some of these artsy stuff or have I simply outgrown them?

I love all of these things, I'm also pretty good at them and I don't know how to choose just one. In any case I feel like I am betraying some part of myself...

What do I do?

Someone once gave me this exercise which I found quite useful. Imagine yourself in space looking back at earth. Close your eyes and put one hand on your heart. Then feel into this question: What is it that I would like to bring to earth ? I do this exercise from time to time to get more clarity on my particular theme in this life. And I have found that it tends to evolve over time. 

There will be ways to combine all of them! At least to some degree.

An example could be the following:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/arts-and-health/201406/creative-arts-therapy-and-expressive-arts-therapy

"I wanted only to try to live in accord with my true Self. Why was that so very difficult?" - Herse

"As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.” - Goethe

"There are no bad parts" - Schwartz

@Wilhelm44 Thank you for your feedback, I'll try that.

50 minutes ago, SLuxy said:

There will be ways to combine all of them! At least to some degree.

An example could be the following:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/arts-and-health/201406/creative-arts-therapy-and-expressive-arts-therapy

That's a great idea! Choosing between these two areas is impossible to me. It never occurred to me that I could actually do both. Thank you very much, I will take this into serious consideration!

Edited by Mz Hyde

@Mz Hyde I'm happy I could help!

I'm excited to see where your journey will lead. Feel free to keep us updated!

"I wanted only to try to live in accord with my true Self. Why was that so very difficult?" - Herse

@SLuxy I barely made it through my SDS session from excitment about the possibility that you suggested. :D

Can't wait to share those updates!

13 hours ago, Mz Hyde said:

I'm really struggling with making this decision.

Ever since I was little I've been very passionate about all kind of artsy things. By the end of my teenage years I became very good at ethno singing, drawing realistic portraits and writing (I went to various competitions in all three areas and I had pretty good results). At that time I went to a tango workshop and not only did I like it very much, but the instructor also told me that I was very talented.

In high school I became very interested in psychology and after graduation I started studying this field at university and I'm currently the best student in my department. I'm very passionate about personal development, I love both studying and practising it.

Am I too scared to pursue some of these artsy stuff or have I simply outgrown them?

I love all of these things, I'm also pretty good at them and I don't know how to choose just one. In any case I feel like I am betraying some part of myself...

What do I do?

I think there's no reason to settle for either or. I'm sure there are many ways to incorporate artsy elements into psychology.

Maybe you can study certain art forms and how they influence people. Or maybe you can become a psychologist/therapist and incorporate artsy elements into your practice. Or can you pursue the artsy stuff fully, and use the principles from pscyhology to become the best artist you can be

13 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

I think there's no reason to settle for either or. I'm sure there are many ways to incorporate artsy elements into psychology.

Leo constantly insists on focusing on one thing and that's why I thought I should make a choice, but now I see that it's possible to combine it all together.

13 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

Maybe you can study certain art forms and how they influence people. Or maybe you can become a psychologist/therapist and incorporate artsy elements into your practice. Or can you pursue the artsy stuff fully, and use the principles from pscyhology to become the best artist you can be

The way I find most meaningful in which I could help and have impact on people is definitely through some kind of psychotherapy. Personally, I feel the happiest when I can creatively express myself in some art form, but I don't really see a potential for some big contribution in that. That's why I think that maybe the best option for me would be integrative art therapy for which I was thrilled to find an education center in my city. Education lasts 4 years, so it will practically be like another university for me, but I think it would be very useful and super fun (considering my love for learning).