fopylo

How listening to metal changed me

40 posts in this topic

Porcupine Tree is my favorite band :)

I love metal at the gym, but my taste has gotten mellower over time, leaning more towards rock/jazz.


To balance beauty and complexity so perfectly is a divine mystery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Metal was kind of my starting point. Or rather what you would now call Dad Rock - AC/DC, Judas Priest, etc. What took me to the next level was goth and postpunk. Also helped integrate those dark feelings in myself, but... there was something strange about it that made me readjust my brain. I think being expansive with your music tastes can help you grow in a lot of ways. I'm into so many genres nowadays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there any Tool fans here? ?

Edited by Rigel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Rigel said:

Are there any Tool fans here? ?

I've heard all of their songs way too many times :)


To balance beauty and complexity so perfectly is a divine mystery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salutations,

 

Here's what i got in my .MP3 directory that relates a tiny bit:

 

 

 

 

None of it feels "dirty", animal, whatever.  But we don't really listen using only our ears anyway, so that may be subjective...

 

It's been with me since a long time ago, then searching for a boost of brutal/overwhelming sensations i eventually discovered a few contrasted setups emulating some concept like the beauty & the beast, e.g. with diva vs gutural singers valorizing each other's art.

 

Words often interfere with my musical sessions so i don't mind for the foreing language interpretations as this lets me wander much further inside without unwanted "noise" (read distractions).  That way it's the voices own quality that reach me 1st and those inductions prove particularily exquisite at times, because human voice is quite a powerful instrument of its own, not necessarily in decibels - and maybe also because i can only sing like a casserole, so i never do and actually depend on them for that aspect.

 

9_9

 

To each his own preferences and gifts, i can never thank my grand-ma sufficiently for giving me the basics when i was a short kid!

 

Good day, have fun!!  B|

 

 

Edited by Egzoset

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2021 at 3:52 PM, Rigel said:

Are there any Tool fans here? ?

I've been listening to Tool since High School. I haven't stopped since.


"We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion." - Parabola by Tool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2021 at 3:43 AM, fopylo said:

extent makes me feel more grounded and real.

Feel dat thoo! Dark metal is make me more powerful in mind and grounded. I love power now. Have some burn here and there because of the integration process. Make it burn! The fire will become more mature! Integrated to the bigger personality. Bigger self :)

On 14/9/2021 at 1:08 AM, Max_V said:

It's crazy how much music can help us integrate lost or undeveloped parts of ourselves.

This! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Max_V do you have a blog or youtube channel that you recommended to do this kind of shadow work? You write it so beautifully!

On 18/9/2021 at 3:02 PM, Max_V said:

Imagine our psyche like a rainbow. All the different aspects of our being represent a colour and make up the whole that is us. When an aspect is repressed, disowned, or rejected, such a colour becomes dim or even turns off. We become unbalanced  and concomitantly problems arise. 

Just as a part of us can represent the vibration of the colour, let’s say red, so there is music, art, etc. that vibrates at the colour red. If you have repressed the colour red within you because of trauma, listening to music that vibrates at that colour will help that aspect of you that is repressed reawaken.  Dancing to this music, acting it out, helps reintegrate this lost part back into your disfigured rainbow. 

So in more plain terms: music that makes you spontaneous for example, helps reawaken repressed spontaneity. It also can bring to the surface the reason why spontaneity is unintegrated in the first place. 

 

On 18/9/2021 at 3:02 PM, Max_V said:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been listening to a shit tonne of slipknot past months. Now it sounds so ever bland, like tasteless boiled chicken. They will always be bangers though 


Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Manusia Thank you! I love writing so much, to have someone give me a compliment about it means a lot.

First and foremost I recommend introspecting a lot, that's mainly where I got this info from. Seeing it happen within myself. You gotta follow the movements of your mind.
But if you want to read up more on this kind of work I recommend Jung, I love his work. Probably more accesible is Teal Swan, she's helped me greatly too.

All the best friend


it’s all a fucking act, there is no Zyzz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Arcadefires album Funeral. A good mix of classical music and rock


"When you Look in the sky, Just try looking inside, God Knows what you might find... "Here Comes The Nighttime" -Arcade Fire 

Qigong and Spirituality +Vlog - Thought Art

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lmfao said:

Been listening to a shit tonne of slipknot past months. Now it sounds so ever bland, like tasteless boiled chicken. They will always be bangers though 

Their songs Wait and Bleed and Everything Ends are, in my opinion, about the lead singers suicide attempt. He really adds emotional depth into his work by channeling that anger and sadness he felt during that moment.


"We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion." - Parabola by Tool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2021 at 11:02 AM, Max_V said:

Imagine our psyche like a rainbow. All the different aspects of our being represent a colour and make up the whole that is us. When an aspect is repressed, disowned, or rejected, such a colour becomes dim or even turns off. We become unbalanced  and concomitantly problems arise. 

Just as a part of us can represent the vibration of the colour, let’s say red, so there is music, art, etc. that vibrates at the colour red. If you have repressed the colour red within you because of trauma, listening to music that vibrates at that colour will help that aspect of you that is repressed reawaken.  Dancing to this music, acting it out, helps reintegrate this lost part back into your disfigured rainbow. 

So in more plain terms: music that makes you spontaneous for example, helps reawaken repressed spontaneity. It also can bring to the surface the reason why spontaneity is unintegrated in the first place.

@Max_V

This is powerful, thanks for sharing. So let's say I get sad sometimes/ feel weak but repress it, will listening to music about sadness/weakness help me?

If I'm scared of something, then songs which will bring up the fear help? It sounds a bit odd..

(I believe the purpose of all of that is to love those songs so that you can accept those aspects in yourself more, but you probably need to like the music to vibe to it. It's not like subliminal magic, you need to love it, no?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Manusia said:

Have some burn here and there because of the integration process. Make it burn! The fire will become more mature! Integrated to the bigger personality. Bigger self :)

@Manusia

You say to integrate this love for burn and power and 'dirtiness' for integrating those and making yourself more vast? Please explain what you meant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@fopylo

I think you dont need to do that at all. It is very personal for me. Because, I am that person that never be angry before, and never felt some kind of power sensation. My life before is kinda dull and like senseless, full of fear and trauma. You know flat face? People see me as that. 

For me, it is important to burning the power feeling and even towards toxic meter. I do that a lot in this time and indeed it helped me. And yes it let me more vast as fuck. I can handle more power capacity in my life, feeling my own energy  and of course clearer mind and healthier ego :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18.9.2021 at 11:52 PM, Rigel said:

Are there any Tool fans here? ?

Oh HELL YES. Got to see them live on their last tour in Berlin, shit was gooooooood.

 

Loving this thread people, I've listened to Metal A LOT in my youth, the music really was there for me in some dark times. Maybe I got into that dark mindset a bit too much though. Still love the genre, it's so diverse and versatile and comes in so many varieties with different levels of consciousness.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Manusia said:

@fopylo

I think you dont need to do that at all. It is very personal for me. Because, I am that person that never be angry before, and never felt some kind of power sensation. My life before is kinda dull and like senseless, full of fear and trauma. You know flat face? People see me as that. 

For me, it is important to burning the power feeling and even towards toxic meter. I do that a lot in this time and indeed it helped me. And yes it let me more vast as fuck. I can handle more power capacity in my life, feeling my own energy  and of course clearer mind and healthier ego :)

@Manusia

Very interesting. Also I'm the person that hardly ever gets angry and never gets sad and I do have those moments where I yearn to just get a sense of what it feels like to 'ride' my life and have power. I personally don't have flat face because I usually fake a lot and I always smile, disconnected.

So like, what do you listen to that gives you more power as you say, and what do you mean by 'even towards the toxic meter'?

I believe capacity (for a certain feeling) = equanimity. If so, it sounds great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, fopylo said:

@Max_V

This is powerful, thanks for sharing. So let's say I get sad sometimes/ feel weak but repress it, will listening to music about sadness/weakness help me?

If I'm scared of something, then songs which will bring up the fear help? It sounds a bit odd..

(I believe the purpose of all of that is to love those songs so that you can accept those aspects in yourself more, but you probably need to like the music to vibe to it. It's not like subliminal magic, you need to love it, no?)

Mhh. Listening to yourself and all its parts is the ground principle that this practice is based upon. Counter-intuitively this could also mean that a scared part of you wants to listen to music that makes it feel safer, which could mean hopeful and uplifting music for example. In this way you are still helping it integrate.

 See how this works? Listen to the different parts of you and then choose the particular music that lets it speak. You need to feel into it. 

 


it’s all a fucking act, there is no Zyzz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, fopylo said:

So like, what do you listen to that gives you more power as you say, and what do you mean by 'even towards the toxic meter'?

For me, I listen death metal like mgla. But it is just very little power actually that it gives. The biggest power that I gain is changing my apperance that look so masculine and even little bit intimidating. I wear big tattoo sleeve and metal mantel. Thats big. I noticed my attitude naturally become alpha af.  Some dude that I dont know become so rude to me without I doing anything lol. Still, this development I say is unstable and need to be nurtured slowly.

And ofcourse I wont be able to heal this without watching Diaomond Net youtube channel. It give me map for what to do and what to think in this healing process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Max_V

So if I tend to feel 'fake' and inauthentic (like I'm quite a nice guy and gosh I smile all the time it hurts my fricking face and I expend a lot of energy), what kind of music is recommended to listen to - to music that empathizes with my situation or music that is all about letting go (for example) ? Or maybe something else..

How does the genre affect as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now