fopylo

How listening to metal changed me

40 posts in this topic

So for the first few days of camp I had there were 2 guys who were into metal and I was talking with them since not really anyone else was into music, and so I listened to some metal here and there. Was eh, fine.

For a long time I've only been playing classical music and jazz, and I didn't realize back then that I had a subconscious rule that I shouldn't like other genres of music because classic and jazz are 'my thing' and metal doesn't vibe with them. It almost contradicts it and I thought it might threaten my personality and my self-image somehow.

When I came back home I was listening to "Open Car" of Porcupine Tree (it is the morning alarm of one of the one guy that was set to way to early and fucking woke us up 4 guys at like 4:00 a.m lol. If you know this song, imagine..). I'll just link it to save you the effort:

So it got me opening up to this kind of music. It is actually kind of good by now.

Another major thing those kind of songs helped me (especially of Porcupine Tree, for those who know) is to shatter my "goodness" and accept the more "dark"/bad/violent parts of me that I all the time suppress. Not saying I have so much of that in me, but still - it's almost like the wild part, the part that can be dirty sexually and like an animal in bed. Obviously the lyrics are way farfetched to my personal experience, but it still, to some extent makes me feel more grounded and real. Classical music is super amazing and beautiful, however it can make me go a bit into fantasy more.

So I was experiencing more with metal and the types of metal, and I very quickly realized that I just LOVE Power Metal. Got introduced to NorthTale and I love their songs. Here are some of my favorite:

I quickly realized I love power metal. I always loved it, that's the thing. Many og anime have this kind of music (mostly in the theme) and also in some cartoons. It gives the vibes of children cartoons and anime, like "main character vibes" - power, exactly.

The high tones of the male voice means the power that's inside, intrinsic motivation ready to be unleashed.

I hope I am not the only one who interprets it like that.

It got me realizing that I've been suppressing myself from liking this type of music for a long time because of what I said above. I did like a few songs here and there before, but not from like a well known band, and I didn't even know it's literally a genre in itself.

In conclusion, I've been listening to more metal, and I feel more real for accepting the darker, dirtier aspects of me (in my mind, it goes against the beauty and tidiness of classical music). The power metal really helped me find that I really like it and it's ok to embody it and that I'm not limited to liking only one or two genres

Congratulations!
I like metal for the power it has in its lyrics and instrumentals it just always moved me so much more than most usual songs (I started with Linking Park when I was a kid).

It's really "not cool" listening to metal where I'm from and you're considered a massive freak. So it's a "battle" of self image same as you and not caring about what others think.

But you are now a more free of a man!

Do you like Skillet? I really like them and the words are anchoring in your subconscious to fight through hardships and be true to your heart!

Love it man. Way to be open to it & learning more about yourself.

Metal has been incredibly valuable in my life too. It really helped me embody stage red at a deeper level and work through some of my repressed anger.

Beautiful music. 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

On 11/9/2021 at 5:43 PM, fopylo said:

So for the first few days of camp I had there were 2 guys who were into metal and I was talking with them since not really anyone else was into music, and so I listened to some metal here and there. Was eh, fine.

For a long time I've only been playing classical music and jazz, and I didn't realize back then that I had a subconscious rule that I shouldn't like other genres of music because classic and jazz are 'my thing' and metal doesn't vibe with them. It almost contradicts it and I thought it might threaten my personality and my self-image somehow.

When I came back home I was listening to "Open Car" of Porcupine Tree (it is the morning alarm of one of the one guy that was set to way to early and fucking woke us up 4 guys at like 4:00 a.m lol. If you know this song, imagine..). I'll just link it to save you the effort:

So it got me opening up to this kind of music. It is actually kind of good by now.

Another major thing those kind of songs helped me (especially of Porcupine Tree, for those who know) is to shatter my "goodness" and accept the more "dark"/bad/violent parts of me that I all the time suppress. Not saying I have so much of that in me, but still - it's almost like the wild part, the part that can be dirty sexually and like an animal in bed. Obviously the lyrics are way farfetched to my personal experience, but it still, to some extent makes me feel more grounded and real. Classical music is super amazing and beautiful, however it can make me go a bit into fantasy more.

So I was experiencing more with metal and the types of metal, and I very quickly realized that I just LOVE Power Metal. Got introduced to NorthTale and I love their songs. Here are some of my favorite:

I quickly realized I love power metal. I always loved it, that's the thing. Many og anime have this kind of music (mostly in the theme) and also in some cartoons. It gives the vibes of children cartoons and anime, like "main character vibes" - power, exactly.

The high tones of the male voice means the power that's inside, intrinsic motivation ready to be unleashed.

I hope I am not the only one who interprets it like that.

It got me realizing that I've been suppressing myself from liking this type of music for a long time because of what I said above. I did like a few songs here and there before, but not from like a well known band, and I didn't even know it's literally a genre in itself.

In conclusion, I've been listening to more metal, and I feel more real for accepting the darker, dirtier aspects of me (in my mind, it goes against the beauty and tidiness of classical music). The power metal really helped me find that I really like it and it's ok to embody it and that I'm not limited to liking only one or two genres

Cool man!

I'm glad to know that you've found the kind of music genre that speaks to your being!??

I used to listen a lot of power metal a couple years ago. However, I discovered recently that the kind of song that really gets me engaged with is Djent, because I realized that I enjoy listening more to the instrumental part of the song (more than the vocals and the lyrics), and I love the mindfuckery that musicians do with the melodies and the harmony of their songs(the way which Animal as Leaders does).???

I'll send two power/prog metal songs for you, to explore more of your darker side???

It's crazy how much music can help us integrate lost or undeveloped parts of ourselves. Lately I've been listening a lot to hardstyle and trance. It's been helping with facing my fears, working on my self-esteem, and becoming a stronger person.

Music always has been that unjudging friend that I return to for consolation and guidance.

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

I think it had a huge impact on me too !

I'm a big fan of Porcupine Tree, Anathema, My Dying Bride, Opeth... and I started with these bands 13 years ago !

AND ONE SONG THAT CAN CRUSH YOUR SOUL:

Edited by Gabith

Fuck to the yes, brother.

I've been in love with it for 20+ years now. Listened to and played all kinds of sub genres in that period. 

I don't entirely agree when people link metal to lower stages on SD. Newer waves of metal, especially, are quite meditative and transcendental. Highly intelligent rhythmic patterns, beautiful melodies, deep as fuck lyrics. Stuff you simply do not find in other genres. Trust me; I listen to A LOT of styles.

Many metal artist explore themes such as awakening, infinity, love, etc. It's not always about being pissed off or depressed. But even that is so, so, so very important to be in touch with and express. It literally saved my life. It showed me the path. Guided me all the way up to the Heavens. Slowly, but surely.

Some of this newer metal music requires some serious listening skills. Not anyone can consume it. It flies over most people's heads. Just like some of Leo's content does - for example. Their ears have simply not developed to that level yet. So they cannot experience the depth and beauty of it all. 

It takes years and years of listening to be able to fully appreciate and enjoy that kind of music. And the benefits are endless.

Here's some high consciousness metal for ya:

And here's some epic 'lower consciousness' stuff:

And many, many more.

Metal up your ass!

I've never been too into metal but this 1 band I listened to a lot when I was younger. Don't know what genre of metal it is, but sounds kind of like the power metal you linked.

@King Merk

Oh wow, good point here. I forgot to mention also that it help me in integrating stage red and dealing with repressed emotions like anger and hatred. That's probably why I started. I must have had a sort of 'need' for it to free myself somehow. Spirituality is counterintuitive and that's what makes it beautiful

@Rigel

On 9/13/2021 at 2:34 PM, Rigel said:

Open mind = open ears

This is powerful wow

@Max_V

On 9/13/2021 at 9:08 PM, Max_V said:

It's crazy how much music can help us integrate lost or undeveloped parts of ourselves.

Can you explain how it does this?

On 9/13/2021 at 9:13 PM, Gabith said:

AND ONE SONG THAT CAN CRUSH YOUR SOUL:

@Gabith

Sorry man but like wtf was this. It didn't do to me anything and I really feel like I've wasted a huge chunk of time listening to this. This is even not music. How do many people like it I don't understand. What is even deep about it. I just don't understand

@ivankiss

On 9/13/2021 at 9:59 PM, ivankiss said:

It's not always about being pissed off or depressed. But even that is so, so, so very important to be in touch with and express.

So basically you say it's important that when I'm feeling angry then it is better to listen to 'lower consciousness' stuff rather than calm meditation music?

I love metal and all the kinds of stage red music because it helped me so much to cope with my feelings! It was like a cure for me.

I'm happy you found it, it's very exciting, I want to get back to the first time I was exposed to this kind of music, it was like bomb in my body and soul❤️

@fopylo That's up to you. What resonates and works for you.

But yes; in my experience, it is very beneficial. Even more so; expressing those lower-state emotions through original music. Channeling those thoughts and feelings into a song. Telling a story.

It gives it all meaning, purpose, value.. It brings peace to it. It resolves it. Grants you with a higher perspective. Heals you.

11 hours ago, fopylo said:

Can you explain how it does this

Imagine our psyche like a rainbow. All the different aspects of our being represent a colour and make up the whole that is us. When an aspect is repressed, disowned, or rejected, such a colour becomes dim or even turns off. We become unbalanced  and concomitantly problems arise. 

Just as a part of us can represent the vibration of the colour, let’s say red, so there is music, art, etc. that vibrates at the colour red. If you have repressed the colour red within you because of trauma, listening to music that vibrates at that colour will help that aspect of you that is repressed reawaken.  Dancing to this music, acting it out, helps reintegrate this lost part back into your disfigured rainbow. 

So in more plain terms: music that makes you spontaneous for example, helps reawaken repressed spontaneity. It also can bring to the surface the reason why spontaneity is unintegrated in the first place. 

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus