Spiral

Extroverted vs Introverted

8 posts in this topic

Is the distinction between extroverted and introverted people as meaningful as people (especially here) make it out to be? 

I get the feeling it’s often an excuse and a identity people have which often leads to a victim mentality. 

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Yes, it is purely an ego thing that people identify with and mistake for their authentic self. But it's also understandable why they would do that. But generally, personality is a lot more fluid and flexible than people think or make it to be.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

People here tend to do a lot of distinctions and classifications. The difference between extroverts and introverts is not meanigful at all. The only problem with introverts is that they often don´t feel comfortable about their introvertism. But it will change. I feel that  the socital acceptance of introverts has increased singnificantly. There are many reaons for this.

it is a useful shorthand to explain something but each of us has unlimited amounts of both which can be deepened if wished

use all the tools in the tool box

somedays i'm in introvert mode, leave me be 

somedays i'm in extrovert mode, let's hang out

2 hours ago, blueberries said:

Well I guess it depends what you mean by meaningful.

Understanding how the brains of introverts and extroverts differ can be a useful tool in self-awareness and personal development. For me, since learning about introversion, I was able to develop my extroversion side more, and now people often don't believe I'm really an introvert. It can also help you perform at your peak and retain as much energy as possible.

But like you say, it can be a problem if people use it to make excuses for acting a certain way or make introversion a core part of their identity.

Haven’t even thought of that perspective. 

I should elaborate and say that I mean in ones ability to make friends and find sex/romantic partners. 

If I was given a choice between being a total extrovert and a total introvert I'd choose total introvert. I feel like learning to be social is easier than learning to deeply introspect, so if you can more naturally introspect you are in a sense better off.

However, most people are really somewhere in the middle and can do both to an average level. So it's probably not worth thinking about all that much, especially if you start developing some beliefs about how you can't do x y z because you're an introvert or an extrovert

I can be so calm and deep home alone and the next hour in the party I can be the guy who can introduce himself or other people and get the conversation going for an hour straight and flirt with gorgeous girls with ease so I consider them as identities for myself coz I can switch between these two at the drop of the hat!

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"