Stovo

Staring into the mirror

17 posts in this topic

Tonight I did an experiment. I stared at myself intensely in the mirror and imagined the being in the mirror as a separate being from myself that I created. 

I had a sudden intense sensation and the being in the mirror started to get darker and I literally saw a flash of an incredibly evil being staring back at me. I quickly turned away because it terrified me so much, so who knows what would have happened if I kept going deeper.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is this all in my head, or do you think I really saw what I saw? 

Just to clarify, I wasn't on any psychedelics or drugs of any kind. It was during normal consciousness, but it felt like I entered a slightly different state of consciousness for a brief moment. 

I've had a similar experience in front of a mirror, ~three years ago. I was washing hands, and as i lifted my gaze from my hands to the mirror, i saw an empty impersonal animal staring back. Chills went from my ass to the top of my head and i ran to bed, afraid to look at any more mirrors that night. xD

And the next day, everything went back to normal.

4 hours ago, This said:

I've had a similar experience in front of a mirror, ~three years ago. I was washing hands, and as i lifted my gaze from my hands to the mirror, i saw an empty impersonal animal staring back. Chills went from my ass to the top of my head and i ran to bed, afraid to look at any more mirrors that night. xD

@This haha wtf 

5 hours ago, This said:

In Russia, there is a saying that goes; when you look at yourself in the mirror at night, you will frighten your soul

And it's kinda true? 

@Stovo I've had a similar experience looking at a close friend when it was dark outside. I looked at him as he was talking to me and instead of his eyes I saw large shadows. Nothing changed but I was unaware that his appearance constantly changed and in that moment it looked like a creature out of a horror movie. It didn't match the image I had of him.

That's what scares the hell out of you too. Keep looking and you'll see how badass it gets. 

If you don't look away you'll understand that what you think you should see is just concept and what you actually see is what's real. You just can't accept the realness of it until you keep looking. You post on the forum to find out what that was, when really you will find out for yourself if you don't close your eyes ?

What's right there is what's real.

12 minutes ago, meta_male said:

@Stovo I've had a similar experience looking at a close friend when it was dark outside. I looked at him as he was talking to me and instead of his eyes I saw large shadows. Nothing changed but I was unaware that his appearance constantly changed and in that moment it looked like a creature out of a horror movie. It didn't match the image I had of him.

That's what scares the hell out of you too. Keep looking and you'll see how badass it gets. 

If you don't look away you'll understand that what you think you should see is just concept and what you actually see is what's real. You just can't accept the realness of it until you keep looking. You post on the forum to find out what that was, when really you will find out for yourself if you don't close your eyes ?

What's right there is what's real.

@meta_male That sounds really similar! You're right mate, I need to grow some balls and look deeper.

That's quite mind-opening actually. We all see ourselves with layers of conception based on all the indoctrination of society and our "human" lens. Perhaps for a brief moment, all the conception disappeared and I was just experiencing myself as experience. 

You managed to alter your waking state consciousness to a mystical experience-esque state and maybe that triggered an unresolved trauma/other shadow material which manifested as an 'evil entity'?

1 hour ago, nistake said:

You managed to alter your waking state consciousness to a mystical experience-esque state and maybe that triggered an unresolved trauma/other shadow material which manifested as an 'evil entity'?

@nistake That's certainly a possibility, I wouldn't discount it. 

Ironically, I had a similar experience last night (albeit I didn't "plan" for it in advance).

I didn't see another being in the mirror, though. Instead, I was "hyper-focused" directly  that there's no physical objects to create any separateness.... yet at the same time nothing in what we consider the "physical realm" changed.

So who am I in that experience?... It's hard to put into words; only direct experience can reveal that to you. It's simultaneously the simplest, yet jaw dropping experiences you'll have in your life.

With that said, there was intense resistance temporarily, but since I've been down this road many times before, I wasn't completely overcome by it. 

You're on the right path. You're uncovering deeper layers of yourself. Fear cannot overcome you, only the idea you have of yourself can be affected by fear.

that's why old people say don't look too much into the mirror, you'd get crazy! 

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

17 hours ago, This said:

Lol, when identification dropped to a certain degree here, there was a period when the time to brush teeth came and there would be the experience of -in a sense- some sort of depersonalized bodything looking at itself in the mirror, there would be a mild sense of bewilderment and sometimes a hint of fear, and there would be an idea such as: 'what the fuck is going on here??'. 
Standing in the mirror and having the feeling that you are looking at yourself, you only call normal because you're used to that state haha. Now, THAT is a trip :D

Edited by Waken

9 hours ago, Waken said:

Lol, when identification dropped to a certain degree here, there was a period when the time to brush teeth came and there would be the experience of -in a sense- some sort of depersonalized bodything looking at itself in the mirror, there would be a mild sense of bewilderment and sometimes a hint of fear, and there would be an idea such as: 'what the fuck is going on here??'. 
Standing in the mirror and having the feeling that you are looking at yourself, you only call normal because you're used to that state haha. Now, THAT is a trip :D

"Depersonalized bodything looking at itself in the mirror" sounds similar to what i saw. ?

Maybe the mind apparently covers up the reality of an empty human monkey looking at itself in the mirror with "I'm Bob and i'm looking at myself"?

I don't know if identification is here or it isn't. I can't really pinpoint anything and say "this is identification". 

3 hours ago, This said:

I don't know if identification is here or it isn't. I can't really pinpoint anything and say "this is identification".

Well, identification is just a word of course. If you think you are something, I would say that your experience will morph itself to that idea, and something will then also feel like you. If you look down on the bodyappearance and feel/experience that as you, that is because you see/think of yourself as that. That you could call thus identifying with the body, for example

Edited by Waken

had this once

actually kept trying to see it again after a few weeks at 3 am or so when i woke up to pee. Did it every night I remembered. Nowadays when I look at the mirror, I never get the sense of "me" anymore like I used to. It's just an impersonal animal, not even a human. If I focus more, it becomes impersonality in its essence, and if I go even deeper, it becomes me, but so does everything else.

and to be honest the 'devil in the mirror' only pops up if you have some unresolved area in your mind which houses this very terror/feeling/entity in its essence. You gotta deal with that. We house lots of these entities in our minds lol. Best way is to self induce a sleep paralysis state, think of the entity untill it manifests, and face it head on with love.

@Stovo 2 things.

When you look into the mirror for a while, you're going to experience mild hallucinations, your face is going to look really weird, for example my beard merges with all of my face and it looks so Alien.

I've done this so often that jt doesn't freak me out.

What also happens is the collapse of a "here-me" and a "there-me" in the mirror.

That's what kind of freaks me out. 

Unfortunately the hallucinations are kind of distracting, but if you manage to switch your awareness from here-me to there-me back and forth once in a while it's going to collapse. Try to find out if you're in front or behind the mirror when you look at yourself.

This happens to a lot of people, especially if they smoke weed.

Hmmm, in islam or mostly Arabic culture, it's always said not to look into a mirror for a long time, especially in the dark, because "jin" (beings similar to ghosts you could say) show up. 

But i never took the possibility of such thing happening seriously. 

Your experience is very interesting though.