Flowerfaeiry

Does the proverbial "fall" in the bible point to anything?

11 posts in this topic

Adam and Eve were living in perfect paradise until one day they sinned and fell from God's graces. Do you think this is a metaphor for something in life or human history? 

I've wondered if it has anything to do with humans seeming separate from the rest of nature. 

"You Create Magic" 

How I interpret it:

Sinning = being selfish or being a devil

Being selfish prevents you from being selfless or godlike, and so it is phrased that they fell from God's grace.

You are what you currently desire. ❤️

They ate from the tree of knowledge (of good and evil; duality). Meaning they became self conscious. I am here and therefore there’s something else over there. Which seemingly hides Heaven, which is itself blindly, and thus doesn’t know itself. It doesn’t know right from wrong (or awesome from ordinary) because it is itself and there is no other and no need (and no way) to be anything else — there isn’t anything else. This is everything. And no one knows that. There isn’t anyone separate from everything. There is only the immediate overwhelming simplicity of Heaven blindly and unknowably being what it is — which can’t be objectified or defined because it’s too free and meaningless.

Edited by The0Self

6 minutes ago, Osaid said:

How I interpret it:

Sinning = being selfish or being a devil

Being selfish prevents you from being selfless or godlike, and so it is phrased that they fell from God's grace.

Thats a good idea, had not thought of that. 

3 minutes ago, The0Self said:

They ate from the tree of knowledge (of good and evil; duality). Meaning they became self conscious. I am here and therefore there’s something else over there. Which seemingly hides Heaven, which is itself blindly, and thus doesn’t know itself. It doesn’t know right from wrong (or awesome from ordinary) because it is itself and there is no other and no need (and no way) to be anything else — there isn’t anything else. This is everything. And no one knows that.

So why is it a sin to eat from that tree and why would it create a "fall"? 

"You Create Magic" 

2 minutes ago, Flowerfaeiry said:

So why is it a sin to eat from that tree and why would it create a "fall"?

This is all allegorical:

Eating from the tree of knowing is the experience of separation — a journeyer on a path to Heaven. It is only the journeyer which views some things as better than others and therefore sin as being real. There is no sin apart from the sinners own belief that they did something wrong. And the greatest sin in that story would be leaving Heaven by imagining there’s something else. This is why forgiveness is such a fundamental part of the Bible. There is no sin. The experience of separation is just Heaven/God/wholeness appearing as that.

10 minutes ago, The0Self said:

the greatest sin in that story would be leaving Heaven by imagining there’s something else

Ok that makes a lot of sense

"You Create Magic" 

Being is prior to all knowledge. As soon as you eat from the tree of knowledge you get lost in concepts and lose touch with Being, which is God.

In a sense all knowledge is devilry since it is 2nd order and dualistic.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura and others, I've had this similar experience in the past and recently that I think relates to what you guys are talking about and which I'd like some feedback on.  I suppose I think it's similar since I've had this issue and have heard and received advice that goes like "everything is perfect, it's only judgement (i.e., "knowledge of the tree of good and evil") that makes things bad.  Yet I still feel really not good, remorseful, and regretful.  

Basically, I'm feeling a lot of remorse and regret at doing school this semester.  I initially dropped my classes, motivated by this more intense feeling that I "shouldn't" do it, but then I felt too afraid and tired of making rash decisions n' stuff, so I signed back up.  I feel pretty bad about it.  I mean objectively I don't think it's a huge deal, but I felt it was for some reason. 

I guess I see a connection in this discussion since on one hand I view or believe that this feeling was saying to do something that came from some "higher power" or intelligence or wisdom or something, or just like "I know" and feel I know what the right choice was. but then on the other hand I don't know.  I guess I'm unsure of if all these strong feelings are simply my own biases, beliefs, and assumptions running amok, or if they're truthful and intelligent signals.  

I've been caught in this similar loop many times in the past; where I get these really strong urges to do/not do something, and if I don't follow through with those feelings I feel awful (like now).  But, I think often it's been the case that when I do follow the feelings, it's like the "energy" and fear gets more and more intense, since I feel I have to keep on following the feeling, and the more I follow it, the harder I'll hurt if I don't. 

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, I feel I just want some other perspectives on this.  

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

The fall of man is one of the most profound bible stories there is. It describes the fall into duality.

Which is why after Adam and Eve eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge, they get kicked out of paradise. They fall into illusion/duality/knowledge. 

It says in Genesis 2:25

And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

This is right after God created Adam and Eve. They were not yet self-conscious; no duality "me" and "other".  

It goes on to say: 

And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

This is the description of the moment that they became self-conscious. This is the moment they developed an ego. 

Genesis 3 ends with: 

And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.

This ties in perfectly with Leo's latest episode; to know good and evil is to have bias. And to have bias is to fall from paradise. 

Alot of good points made here already, and I'm on board with eating of the fruit as the fall into duality. Now you got the illusion of two instead of what essentially can't be devided in the absolute sense.

With the created knowledge of good and evil, you now have judgement. This becomes the split into a knowing mind, that now can say that this is evil, and that is good. So the judgment takes the driver seat, and inner wisdom and wholness is also becoming object for judgement basically. Some could even make the judgement and say that wisom is evil, and that skewed judgement could potentially make it a self-proclaimed truth out of it, with enough of twisted minds that would be willing to agree with that sentiment.