mmKay

DiY natural mouthwash dangers?

6 posts in this topic

Hey, I've been using a DIY oregano oil / water mouth wash for the last few days as I hate listerine and love a fresh breath. 

I use about a drop of the oil for half a liter of water and then keep ot in my mouth for about a minute before spitting out. 

It burns but nothing too crazy and my moith feels fresh for the next 8 hours but im concerned about the potential harm of ingesting micro ammounts of an antibiotic everyday ( the oregano oil) 

Thoughts? 

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

6 hours ago, mmKay said:

Hey, I've been using a DIY oregano oil / water mouth wash for the last few days as I hate listerine and love a fresh breath. 

I use about a drop of the oil for half a liter of water and then keep ot in my mouth for about a minute before spitting out. 

It burns but nothing too crazy and my moith feels fresh for the next 8 hours but im concerned about the potential harm of ingesting micro ammounts of an antibiotic everyday ( the oregano oil) 

Thoughts? 

Keep using it if it makes you happy, I doubt there is any harm associated with your mouth wash.
Personally I am big fan of tea tree oil as mouthwash alternative because of the many studies that compare it to the usual products. It works and we know it does. When it comes to oral hygiene products its important to generally look for non-alcohol ones. I believe that periodically rinsing your mouth with a strong carcinogen like alcohol might cause troubles over the years. In fact, we even see this in the data since there is a hint of increased mouth cancer in frequent mouth wash users. Regarding oregano oil, I dont see any problem at all to be honest. 

Edited by undeather

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

I don't like taking essential oils directly because it's very irritating (especially oregano oil). You can try oral probiotics (I use nature wise brand). They always leave my teeth plaque free even when I wake up in the morning.

Or if you prefer antibacterial diluted hydrogen peroxide is great. There's a brand of mouthwash that sells pre diluted ones. It's also a natural teeth whitener. Fixed my dad's bleeding gums up right away.

Are you using an oregano essential oil or oil of oregano? Essential oils are very strong. I'm sure you're fine but I wouldn't keep using it in your mouth like that even though you're not swallowing. Oil of oregano is less concentrated and in that case I think it's safe to use a diluted solution as mouthwash. 

"You Create Magic" 

I see, thanks for the anwsers guys. Any other DIY mouthwash ideas are welcome. 

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

Cloves: boil few cloves in water, strain, use as mouthwash. Essential oil/dilute w/water.

Parsley: boil in water, strain. Store 5days in fridge

Himalayan pink salt: add water and rinse

Neem mouthwash 

Coconut oil pulling

Unconditional love is all there is.