blankisomeone

Serious question. I'm legit worried. Am I hurting my chair by sitting on it?

22 posts in this topic

@Leo Gura ??

Or the chair doesn't mind because it's living its purpose: to be sat on?

I guess Leo might the open-minded one to take this question seriously lol

Edited by blankisomeone

Only egos mind and ego is an illusion. Hence, no pain.

All Teachers and Teachings are delusion. You have all the answers within you. The first step on the journey to Enlightenment is questioning all the beliefs and teachings you have ever received. Teachers/Teachings are a distraction/maya at the highest level. There comes a point where you need to trust in your own innate knowledge and derive your own insights into the nature of reality. Teachers make a living and lifestyle of selling you water by the river. You don’t need them. All you need is an insatiable desire for truth and then seriously contemplate reality and uncover all that is false. 

A chair is not a chair till someone sits in it.

there is no chair.

Your hurting your butt. Maybe someone hurt the tree by cutting it, who knows? But one thing is for sure your hurting your mind by compiling this question.

7 minutes ago, Virgo said:

But one thing is for sure your hurting your mind by compiling this question.

Yea baby! And I'm loving it!

Are we hurting the floor when we step on it? Is the ground being hurt by cars driving on it or houses being built on it? How far are you willing to stretch your compulsion to anthropomorphize non-living objects? :P

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

10 minutes ago, Virgo said:

Your hurting your butt. Maybe someone hurt the tree by cutting it, who knows?

What if the wood became a Stradivarius violin instead of a seeming mundane chair. Would it care either way? 

2 minutes ago, cetus said:

What if the wood became a Stradivarius violin instead of a seeming mundane chair. Would it care either way? 

...are violinists just sexual predators? :o

Just now, Carl-Richard said:

Say what?

5 minutes ago, cetus said:

Well I think the tree is capable of knowing the pain of someone cutting it

11 minutes ago, cetus said:

Well if the tree had a thought process and a mouth we could ask it.

15 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

No fiddlers are ?

14 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:
14 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

6 minutes ago, Virgo said:

No fiddlers are ?

If I was a chair, I wouldn't mind being a lady's bicycle seat. But hey, I'm biased ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

18 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

If I was a chair, I wouldn't mind being a lady's bicycle seat. But hey, I'm biased ;)

Sounds like something Lady Salvia could arrange. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

5 hours ago, blankisomeone said:

Or the chair doesn't mind because it's living its purpose: to be sat on?

A chair doesn't mind, because it has no mind. It's not that kind of a holon to have a personal agency.

About holons, taken from Wikipedia:

Individual holon

An individual holon possesses a dominant monad; that is, it possesses a definable 'I-ness'. An individual holon is discrete, self-contained, and also demonstrates the quality of agency, or self-directed behavior.

The individual holon, although a discrete and self-contained whole, is made up of parts; in the case of a human, examples of these parts would include the heart, lungs, liver, brain, spleen, etc. When a human exercises agency, taking a step to the left, for example, the entire holon, including the constituent parts, moves together as one unit.

Social holon

A social holon does not possess a dominant monad; it possesses only a definable 'we-ness', as it is a collective made up of individual holons.

In addition, rather than possessing discrete agency, a social holon possesses what is defined as nexus agency. An illustration of nexus agency is best described by a flock of geese: each goose is an individual holon, the flock makes up a social holon; although the flock moves as one unit when flying, and is "directed" by the choices of the lead goose, the flock itself is not mandated to follow that lead goose. Another way to consider this would be a collective activity that has the potential for independent internal activity at any given moment.

Artifacts

American philosopher Ken Wilber includes artifacts in his theory of holons. Artifacts are anything (such as a statue or a piece of music) that is created by either an individual holon or a social holon (e.g., a statue is made up of atoms). While lacking any of the defining structural characteristics—agency, self-maintenance, I-ness, self-transcendence—of the previous two holons, artifacts are useful to include in a comprehensive scheme due to their potential to replicate aspects of and profoundly affect (via, e.g., interpretation) the previously described holons.

The development of Artificial Intelligence may force one to question where the line should be drawn between the individual holon and the artifact.

Heaps

Heaps are defined as random collections of holons that lack any sort of organizational significance. A pile of leaves would be an example of a heap. (Note, one could question whether a pile of leaves could be an "artifact" of an ecosystem "social holon".)

This raises a problem of intentionality; in short, if social holons create artifacts but lack intentionality (the domain of individual holons), the question turns to how one can distinguish between heaps and artifacts. Further, if an artist (individual holon) paints a picture (artifact) in a deliberately chaotic and unstructured way, one may ask whether such becomes a heap.

@blankisomeone Lol, I have thought quite a bit if I have hurt grass by walking on it and such. I might have read a channeled message once that there is only pain if there's a purpose for it. You won't find pain receptors in a chair, I very much doubt it'll feel pain by your sitting

The chair is not self-aware (at least from what we know). This means that even if it perceives pain, it can't understand that something is being done to it, because it doesn't have the concept of being a thing, an ego, an individuated piece of consciousness.

Been on the healing journey for 5 committed years: traumas, deep wounds, negative beliefs, emotional blockages, internal fragmentation, blocked chakras, tight muscles, deep tensions, dysfunctional relationship dynamics. --> Check out my posts for info on how to heal:

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82579-what-causes-anhedonia-how-can-it-be-cured/?page=2#comment-1167003

the chair has no preferences, since preferences are a tool for survival and the chair does not need to survive. he's just as happy being a chair as he is burning and going up in smoke

8 hours ago, Breakingthewall said:

the chair has no preferences

Depends on how fat your ass is :P

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.