Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Quixodian

Intro Thread

1 post in this topic

I can't find an intro thread but thought I might introduce myself. Male, late 60's, married, grand-kids. Longtime seeker, student of perennial traditions. Read a lot, have passed exams in Pali and Sanskrit, among other things (although forgotten almost all of it.)  I mainly studied through academic pursuits - BA in Comparative Religion, MA Buddhist Studies, although I don't have an academic career or a publishing record.

I've been posting on various forums for about 10 years, this one interests me because of its subject matter. I went to several of the Science & Non-duality Conferences, 2009, 2012, 2014  - actually was one of the first registrations.

I had a long-term meditation practice, along Buddhist lines, for many years, but stopped around end 2019 and haven't been able to get back into it. Can't even adopt the half-lotus pose I used to be able to do without cramping up. I started going to a Pure Land service 2 years ago, but COVID-19 put an end to those, and I'm not really sure it's my path. (Pure Land discourages any kind of meditation or 'self-effort', it's based wholly on faith in Amida.) 

Need to get back into some kind of regular sadhana. Still feel committed to and affinity with Buddhism, East Asian rather than Tibetan. But also realising my 'Western' nature and heritage in the way I think. Interested in Platonism.

Personally I'm wrestling with self-control issues, mainly small-time, nothing dramatic, but as you get older, some things have to be given up. I did manage to quit smoking a couple of decades ago, there are a few other things I really need to let go also, having problems facing up to that.

That's about all for now. Thanks for reading.