Vision

Full Time Mystic/Sage - What does it look like in practice?

26 posts in this topic

What is the lifestyle of a full-time mystic/sage? And how can you practically live like one?

I'd think it is spending all of your time time doing practices conducive to realizing the Truth, Enlightenment/Awakening, Emotional Mastery, Personal Development, and sharing their insights with others (not only to provide value to others but to have the funding to live on your own terms and survive - you wouldn't wanna be a sage working at a 9-5 that takes up half of your time).

6 hours ago, Vision said:

What is the lifestyle of a full-time mystic/sage? And how can you practically live like one?

I'd think it is spending all of your time time doing practices conducive to realizing the Truth, Enlightenment/Awakening, Emotional Mastery, Personal Development, and sharing their insights with others (not only to provide value to others but to have the funding to live on your own terms and survive - you wouldn't wanna be a sage working at a 9-5 that takes up half of your time).

to have shed every bias, let god choose everything on your behalf, this is leo

Yoga, breathwork or Qigong teacher online

Teacher

Politician

Business owner 

therapist or life coach

Inventor

Artist etc

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

You never know. Maybe the janitor in a building you work at is secretly enlightened.

8 hours ago, Vision said:

What is the lifestyle of a full-time mystic/sage?

Well, sometimes I wake up early, sometimes in the evening. Usually I eat pretty healthy. Sometimes I might eat some candy or some chips. I meditate if I feel like it. I take long walks and listen to any music that gives that sweet inspiration. I observe my mind and emotions. I choose the perspectives that feel better. I often spend my time in social media and watching movies. Sometimes I read some spiritual or philosophical texts. I masturbate often and use nicotine products all the time because I'm addicted.

Most of all, I'm not trying to be a mystic. I just recognize the divinity as well as I can in every moment. That's good enough.

Everyone is waiting for eternity but the Shaman asks: "how about today?"

10 hours ago, Vision said:

What is the lifestyle of a full-time mystic/sage?

About Richard Rohr

Richard Rohr is arguably the closest thing to "Yellow" Catholicism can possibly get.

10 hours ago, Vision said:

And how can you practically live like one?

About the Living School

I have not attended the Living School, but I have considered it.

15 hours ago, Thought Art said:

Yoga, breathwork or Qigong teacher online

Teacher

Politician

Business owner 

therapist or life coach

Inventor

Artist etc

@Thought Art 

I don't think you can maintain a military-grade spiritual/contemplative practice when you are also doing things like being an artist, inventor, politician, etc. Those things take up a lot of your time, at least to make a living out of them. Mastery generally takes 10,000 hours.

My image of a full-time mystic/sage is someone that does the practices full time, and shares their insights with others.

15 hours ago, roopepa said:

Well, sometimes I wake up early, sometimes in the evening. Usually I eat pretty healthy. Sometimes I might eat some candy or some chips. I meditate if I feel like it. I take long walks and listen to any music that gives that sweet inspiration. I observe my mind and emotions. I choose the perspectives that feel better. I often spend my time in social media and watching movies. Sometimes I read some spiritual or philosophical texts. I masturbate often and use nicotine products all the time because I'm addicted.

Most of all, I'm not trying to be a mystic. I just recognize the divinity as well as I can in every moment. That's good enough.

@roopepa Rock on man. Do what you want :x

17 hours ago, gettoefl said:

to have shed every bias, let god choose everything on your behalf, this is leo

Be careful with such utopian delusions about Leo.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

4 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@Leo Gura What would being a full time mystic/sage entail?

4 minutes ago, Vision said:

@Leo Gura What would being a full time mystic/sage entail?

There are many different ways that could look. Be careful assuming it only looks one way.

But it would entail a lot of time in solitude and deep contemplation & meditation. However you choose to do that.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

11 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

no i meant i am leo

just

kidding

leo has the map but the territory still needs plenty of cultivating

thank you for being here leo x

Just now, Leo Gura said:

There are many different ways that could look. Be careful assuming it only looks one way.

But it would entail a lot of time in solitude and deep contemplation & meditation. However you choose to do that.

@Leo Gura 

Will there always be deeper insights into Truth that no one else has ever realised? 

There are people who say that Enlightenment is like a binary switch, you're either Enlightened or not Enlightened. 

But if it's truly infinite, aren't there infinite degrees of Enlightenment? Your Enlightenment could always be deeper. 

It depends on how they meet their survival needs, they can be very wealthy or penniless. Some make a living as mystics and sages: spiritual teachers, healers, authors, yoga instructors, lecturers and such. On the other end you have the monks and hermits, in some places you can simply join a monastery and devote your life to spirituality. For the most part though you will find a balance between survival and spirituality, not a full time sage or mystic as you say, and not a wage slave either. The advantage for survival is that when you see beyond the veil of materialism things are not so rigid, and you ultimately have nothing to fear or worry about. Don't get hung up on sharing insights like Leo does, there are plenty of teachers already, hundreds-thousands of actually very useful books and videos to learn about spirituality from, and more coming, but their words are no substitute for direct experience.

Edited by Rhinosaur

Here is a story by Osho that may give some insight into this:

A great saint was dying and he said to his successor, a young man, “Remember one thing: never allow a cat in your life,” and he died. A big crowd had gathered to listen to the last statement of this great saint… and what a sentence! “Never allow a cat in your life.” The successor said, “My god, why should I allow a cat in my life in the first place? And this is the whole religion?” But an old man — who was also a disciple, but was not chosen as a successor because he was too old; he was himself going to die within a year or two — said, “You don’t know, there is a long story behind it. He has just given you the punchline.”
He said, “Then I must know the whole story.”

The story was that when the saint renounced his marriage and children and his home and went into the Himalayas, he lived near a small village. Otherwise, from where will you get your food? But the villagers were happy that they had a saint of their own, so they made a small bamboo cottage for him.
The Indian monks used, in place of underwear, just a long strip of cloth called langot. It is a “mini” — mini-est — because it is just a long strip… they wrap it around themselves. They were allowed to have only two langotis. But a trouble arose: some rats came into the house and they started chewing on the langot. The man was in a great difficulty; he had only two langotis and soon they would be gone. So he asked the villagers, “What to do? because my sect does not allow a saint to have more than two langotis. That’s the only possession allowed.”
They said, “Why don’t you take a cat from the village? She will kill the rats.” It was a perfectly rational solution. So the villagers gave him a good cat, and the cat killed the rats. But the problem was, now he had to beg for his food and the cat also needed something to eat, because the rats were finished. So he had to beg for some milk for the cat.
The villagers said, “This is a small village… the best thing for us is that you have a cow. The whole village can contribute some money and purchase a beautiful cow, and in that way you will become very independent. You can have enough milk for yourself and for your cat.”

It looked right, so a beautiful cow was brought in. Now the problem was that the cow needed grass. So every day he had to go to the village to beg for the grass. People said, “This does not look right. A great saint asking for grass? In fact no saint has ever asked for grass; it is not conventional.”
He said, “But what to do? My cow, my cat…”
So they said, “A simple solution: we are villagers, we don’t know much about your philosophy. One woman has become a widow; her husband has died, and she has nobody. So we will persuade her. She will be really happy to serve a saint and then you don’t have to come every day. We will clear some ground by the side of your hut so she can grow grass, she can grow wheat… and she will take care of you in sickness, in illness.”
The idea was right — it was always right. The woman was feeling lonely and the saint was young… there was a possibility, a hope. She immediately agreed. She started taking care, and you know how things grow….
Basho says, “The grass grows by itself.” In fact many things grow by themselves. So grass started growing, they fell in love… the woman was beautiful, the saint was young. What more is needed? They worked in the field, they started growing wheat and they started growing grass. The cat was very happy and the cow was very happy, everything was perfect. But then the ultimate — children came in, and then he thought, “My god, that’s what I had left behind! I have renounced the world — this is the whole world again! It grew so slowly that I was not aware until the children came.”
Now, just because of the cat the whole world came in. The old man said, “That was the punchline. He told you, `Remember not to allow a cat,’ because behind the cat the whole world comes in. He was talking about his own life story, how he again became engaged in the same world — taking children to school… and people started laughing: `What kind of saint are you? You are not even celibate! You have fallen.’

“But what to do now? Once you have fallen, you have fallen; He thought many times to renounce again, but he thought — what is the point? Those rats are everywhere. Again the same story will start. It is better to be silent.”

Edited by SriSriJustinBieber

It can look like crazy overworking. Sadhguru for example travels so much it might be unbearable for an average person, he also sleeps very little. Lots of public speaking etc. Very heavy on energy. But another mystic might be an engineer.

Well, I am in the process of buying a home deep in the forests of the Pacific Northwest. I got a bit of inheritance that gives me about $2000 a month in stock dividends. It's not alot, but it's enough to not have to work, pay the mortgage and buy food and necessities. I'm going out as far as I can away from society, so I can dedicate my time 100% to my spiritual path, with no distractions. I've let go of the desire for companionship, sex, friends, family. My days will be filled with meditation, kriya yoga, letting go / surrendering practices, vipassana practices, with psychedelics ceremonies in the evening, and integration process afterwards. I'll do this for as long as it feels necessary, completely cut off from all of society, until I feel satisfied in my spiritual journey, or maybe I'll stay there till the end of my time here. I'm tired of half-assing my spiritual practice, time to get really serious and dedicate my life full time to it. 

Edited by Sempiternity

On 9/7/2021 at 9:56 PM, Rhinosaur said:

It depends on how they meet their survival needs, they can be very wealthy or penniless. Some make a living as mystics and sages: spiritual teachers, healers, authors, yoga instructors, lecturers and such. On the other end you have the monks and hermits, in some places you can simply join a monastery and devote your life to spirituality.

@Rhinosaur I feel like joining those monasteries really narrows your experience of life. You can't learn from other perspectives. You're kind of in a little box, where all you can do is meditate and introspect.

On 9/7/2021 at 10:23 PM, bejapuskas said:

But another mystic might be an engineer.

@bejapuskas I would think that a full time sage is one that devotes all their time to spiritual work and understanding reality.