Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Human Mint

°------------° Music Practice °-----------°

11 posts in this topic

This is not something definitive at all but i must try anyways.

A journal about:

• Brainstorming different small bets (mini projects) in which i have to compose musical pieces within certain rules.
  • Sharing Ideas about music composition.
  • Mastery: Developing skills in my field of action.

I commit to brainstorming ideas here. There is something good about sharing this on a community which is the preasure to come up with something clear and conscise, and the posibility to interact. The idea is that this result in me doing those small bets the best i can, with the skills i currently have.

This process, hopefully, will reveal wich skills i lack and wich musical tendencies i have (what i like the most).

My main objective is composition, creating amazing musical pieces combining a lot of sounds, with unique forms and progresions. I like the idea of composing music for anime films also. Especially those wich are kinda cyberpunk. I like electronic music as well. Focusing in one particular area -like cyberpunk- is the key of the master to direct creative energy in a efficient and powerful way (This concept i extracted from the book "Mastery" by R. Greene).

The idea of developing skills is that i can have a more refined variety of tools to create. It happened to me that incredible, amazing music occurs to me in my head, especially when I'm falling asleep, and then I want to make it tangible but I lack the ability and consistency to achieve it.

I plan to refine tecnical skills with the instruments i play and refining skills for the process of composition itself, wich i will learn mostly while creating pieces. That's why the small bets too; not only about the exploration but to develop skillset.

For the sake of inspiration in this brainstorming exercise, i must read different forums and take a look into the mind of others composers. Also an structural breakdown of songs is a good way to inspire creativity. Just a deep listen is enough, no need to write it down. In addition, this week i will asist to a 6 day semminar, a virtual meeting of top notch composers of Argentina.

Another problem i have is that my mind gets stuck a lot. It gets chained in the process of creation. Is a fear i have. So, to get through this difficulty, i will study and apply consciusly concepts found in the book "Mastery" by R. Greene that clearly aim to this problem. That book is beautiful.

summarizing:        .Brainstorming at least 10 ideas, in the course of this week.

.Working on them, one at a time, for the next weeks or months

Instruments practices.

• Vocal technique
  • Drum technique
  • Playing vocals and drums at the same time.
  • Midi skillset
  • Modern harmony

Enough for today, shall i let my mind rest now.

And this one is a piece we did before with a friend, for the public contentment xD

Edited by Human Mint

Studying and aplying concepts of the book "Mastery" by R. Greene into my practices is a must do habit. Idealy this would be a daily practice to all the different activities i want to do.

A concept extracted from the book: Chapter.Keys to Mastery/Step Two/Part C

Using the current. That is the dialogue between our thoughts and reality. The constant flow of trial-error and improving. Scientific method in other words.

The heart of the beats

¿What personality does a particular drumbeat have?

¿How many personalities can I create with the beats?

¿What emotion do they express?

¿What are its relatives?

¿Where do they come?

Edited by Human Mint

First post on brainstorming different small bets (mini projects) in which one has to compose musical pieces within certain rules. Inviting others to post their ideas as well.

• Idea #1 - For drums - the idea behind this exercises is to develop better skills at coming up with new beats

Producing 20 different beats using any tempo and time signature. 20 beats to put some number. The idea is that one experiments more variations until boredom. Use songs with drum bases that you like to get ideas. Call it stealing if you want.

Important: divide the 20 beats in 2 categories: simple and complex, whatever that means for you. Or better yet:  use the questions i wrote in the previous post -see above- to make them.

• Idea #2 -

Again, producing 20 different beats but this time with drums and electronic beats. A combination of both. The phases in this exercises would be: first to create the beat, second practicing it in the instrument until it sounds good, and third recording everything and mixing.

• Idea #3 -

This one would be like the mother of the previous two. This exercise consist of producing two songs using three different beats each one. The structure, bridges and every detail will be free from rules so you can unleash compositive creativity. For example you can add effects in the recording, creating a build up and then exploding, etc. But the main character of the songs will consist of three distinctive beats.

• Idea #4 - editor - not clear yet, but probably something similar to the anterior ones but with added voice. I don't know how and i will start with the previous exercises so i can imagine better this idea.

Edited by Human Mint

Have I try the excercises I invented yet? No. I want to but no done it yet. Resistance i guess. Fear of frustration. But anyways, the wanting to create something amazing is still there. 3 days have passed since i started this journal so is not a big procastination.

Yesterday i started "modern armony" with a music professor. I want this person to be my mentor. He is the guy i mentioned before in my other journal. I already know him a bit and he has a lot of knowledge and passion.

Before the next class with him im gonna re-read the mentor section of the book "Mastery" by R. Greene. We didn't embody the roles yet, its a matter of time and correct decisions from my part. He needs to embody the confidence of a mentor. I intuit he would love it. Both of us will grow from a dynamic mentor-apprentice relationship. I gotta keep showing interest.

Social intelligence is a necessary skill in this process. Being able to abandon the naive perspective and to embrace a realistic one.

Edited by Human Mint

Idea for enhancing experience of music #1 Listening different kind of music. Exploring with openmindedness

https://everynoise.com

This is a map with quite a few music genres of the world. You can click in the genre title and it will reproduce a song demo of that particular genre. If you put your mouse over the title it will show you the name of the song example.

Some genres that I found new to me:

• forro instrumental (the word "forro" means a "condom" and an insult also in my country)
  • classic russian rock
  • nepali indie
  • chinese instrumental (iconic)
  • laboratorio - i like this one a lot - probably, in the future, when people ask me what kind of music do i compose, i will say "laboratorio"

Though most of them are just subgenres of pop, rock, indie, punk, etc. The mainstream. So it's a challenge to find radical new stuff.

Edited by Human Mint

Yesterday i downloaded "lmms", a program similar to fl studio but it's free code. It has all you need to work with plugins and samples -midi-.

This is the second track i made.

I plan to do much more. Basically having in mind something that i would like to do musically and then trying to acomplish it.

This song was fun to do.

The only thing that keeps me from doing amazing music is laziness.

Edited by Human Mint

So far, doing well. The learning curve is quite slow honestly, but it's just the way it is for now, I know I can reach more engagement. I have plenty of room for improvement.

A piece of mastery:

Edited by Human Mint