EugeneTheSage

How to maintain and even have abundant health while sitting 10hrs/day

16 posts in this topic

Over the last 2 years I was playing a lot of computer games, was working on sedentary jobs.

Sometimes I was working for 8 hrs as a 3d designer and then coming home playing video games all night.

On some jobs, I had uncomfortable mouses and too high workstations which destroyed my wrist.

Now when I work on the computer I feel my body is dead: brain fog, fatigue, I feel less control over my right hand, feeling pain in my back probably. I feel like my body is not alive when I sitting.

I'm working on small laptop, on a wooden table that is not adapted to computer work. My financial situation is good but not abundant right now and I will not invest in some infrastructure any soon. Besides I want to keep my property small because I move often and I don't want to move all that stuff (computer table, treadmill, footrest)

I want to change the situation because my passion is 3D modelling/visual effects and I am so passionate about it that I can spend nights working on projects. I know I will sit a lot in my life, so I want to preserve my current level of health and regain it.

What I've already done:

• I was doing Shambhavi Mahamudra Kriya meditation twice a day for the last 40 days - it makes me keep my attention in the body. Because I am grounded in the body I am conscious of my posture, I type peacefully without a hurry (as I usually do) and this keeps my hands more relaxed.
  • I've done myofascial release which helped to reduce tension in my legs and therefore in general.
  • I am just exercising more and feel more vitality in my body, but that's not enough
  • I've bought ergonomic vertical mouse
    61NjrsBjNpL._AC_SX522_.jpg

My ideas how to change it:

• Try eyetrackers to replace mouse
  • Try to do some projects with graphic tablet
  • Workstation with regulating level: standing/sitting, also being able to regulate the level so you can sit in ardhasiddhassana& other yogic sitting postures
  • Screen holder to regulate screen position freely. Good screen. All life I was working on a bad small screens
  • Try ergonomic keyboards
    02LMa8L6W4XQ6fHDsoqjrs8-1.1591134244.fit
  • Try more ergonomic mouses like these
    lgt-lomxvaem.jpg
    handshoemouse-ergonomic-mouse-1395148386
  • Don't waste the time on some shitty job which I don't give a fuck about (like marketing guy, phone salesman, SMM). If I don't have a job better to go on construction. Of course, the best stuff I can do is to just escape wage slavery. And I have a chance. My acquaintance Kristine is good at cryptocurrency investing and I am starting to learn from her. I know that if I wouldn't escape wage slavery I would never have enough money to build an ergonomic computer workstation. I've said that my passion is 3d graphic designer. Yes, but I've seen how Kriss is almost financially independent at her 19 and decided I don't wanna spend the next 20 years in a cubicle, so I would try cryptocurrencies as a part-time income.
  • treadmill
    treadmill-desk-amazon-58765d053df78c17b6
  • work out my lower arms and arms in general - stretch them, massage them. Generally improve my body conditioning, do yoga. Especially not to work on big muscles but on small stabilizer muscles instead.
  • pad for legs
    Ergonomiczne-stopy-poduszka-do-pod%C5%82
  • Do rest every 45 mins or so and during rest do some eye exercises, stretch my arm. I already implemented however forget about this sometimes.

What do you guys think of it and what is your advice to help yourself right off the moment.

Thank you

10 hours ago, blueberries said:

I just want to say be careful about the ergonomic mouse. I bought one that looks like yours (but a different brand) and ended up with carpal tunnel, even though I'd never had any issues previously. Now I'm back to a regular mouse, I've healed, and never had further problems.

It might just have been because I was holding the mouse in the wrong position and putting too much strain on my wrist, because I know other people use those mouses with no issues. So just be careful about your positioning and listen to your body.

Also, don't forget your eyes! I was skeptical of blue light glasses but resorted to buying some after struggling with eye strain, and I've never had an issue with eye strain or headaches since. Placebo effect? Who knows.

Overall this looks great and very well-researched though!

There are lot of copy-paste brands that stick their logo on this mouse design. 

Blue light glasses? Sounds interesting

I'd start with a basic adjustable desk that you can use both for standing and sitting. That in itself might be better investment for your health than all the other gadgets combined. 

The treadmill under table is super cool, I'd love to have that one day. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

My solution:

1) Get a Fitbit and use it to track exercise, sleep, and calories

2) Turn on "Reminders to move" so you get 250 steps minimum per hour for up to 14 hours a day

Edited by Nobody_Here

Nutrition

"I wanted only to try to live in accord with my true Self. Why was that so very difficult?" - Herse

"As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.” - Goethe

"There are no bad parts" - Schwartz

Yeah, this is an issue for me as well. As far as I know, there's not really a workaround for it. Sitting for long periods of time is pretty bad for your health. Period.

However, I try to mitigate this issue with regular stretching. Even when I'm at work which is a bit problematic because I have to do it 'secretly'. If I can't do that, I just stand up and walk around for a few minutes. Using foam rollers regularly is also a good solution.

Just yesterday I found a local gym where there's a class specifically designed for spine health and other areas of the body which is inactive for people who work sedentary jobs. I think I'm gonna give it a shot. Maybe try to find similar classes where you live.

@Nobody_Here do you mean 250steps per 14 hrs. This is very small amount. Remidnders every some time?@Michael569 thanks, very useful. Desk would be the first thing I would consider. Unfortunately I move often and it would be a bargain... So I need to find work as a 3d graphic designer as soon as possible so I have some stability.

Sorry, can't delete the quotation

On 5.09.2021 at 10:49 PM, blueberries said:

I wonder, guys, is there a way to improve your health so much that you feel ok while sitting for a long hours?

For example do yoga 1-2hrs a day plus strenghth training 1,5hr and stretching and the massage and some quick warmup exercises in between worksessions - could it all make me feel "transcended" sedentary syndrome?

I think if I detoxify my body to extreme level and workout on an every joint and relax and stretch every muscle I would completely change the situation.

Thanx

Sitting long hours is not healthy, and your body will not feel good. So I wouldn't recommend investing in things to make you comfortable doing that, because it's not going to work. The best that you can do is to have a very minimalist work set up, using a laptop without wires so that once it's charged fully you can move it anywhere and change positions form standing, sitting in chairs, on the floor. Open space around you so you're not boxed into a cluttered work space, you can push the chair back, get up and walk out any time without hesitation. Hold off on the sit/stand desk until you can afford a quality one that moves up and down for you with a motor, otherwise you'd tend towards not adjusting it and stay sitting more. With regard to hand and wrist ergonomics, I've used a variety of those types of mouse and keyboards before, but found they just make other parts of my wrist or hand hurt more than whatever pain they've alleviated. Usually I just use a simple Logitech keyboard with a trackpad, and got in the habit of moving the scroll bar on the screen instead of a mouse. No wrist pain if I use it on my lap sitting, or perched at a comfortable height between me and the laptop when  standing.

1 hour ago, EugeneTheSage said:

Unfortunately I move often and it would be a bargain.

why not sell your current table on Facebook Market (or something like that) and get the adjustable desk instead. Same functionality, same space allocation just a bit more practicality :) None of my business but hey where there is a will, there is a way 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

2 hours ago, EugeneTheSage said:

@Nobody_Here do you mean 250steps per 14 hrs. This is very small amount. Remidnders every some time?@Michael569 thanks, very useful. Desk would be the first thing I would consider. Unfortunately I move often and it would be a bargain... So I need to find work as a 3d graphic designer as soon as possible so I have some stability.

Sorry, can't delete the quotation

250 steps per hour. You would still do workouts and the rest.

@impulse9 you don't have health issues because you haven't been investing so much in unhealthy activities as me. Unfortunately just doing healthy (maintanance) routine doesn't help. I need to restore my health. And even if I do I don't sure if I would be still able to work on computer for a long.

@Michael569 it is not my table. And I would possibly change country of living within 2 months. But still there is complicated situation where I live. I feel like "on the edge" which prevents me drom investing in stuff right now. But it will certainly change after a time

@EugeneTheSage fair enough :)

You know in my old apartment I would put the laptop on the top of my clothes drawer as it was just the right height. That was a neat "standings desk" so sometimes there are other options. All the best in the months to come, I'm sure you will figure stuff out, whatever that is. Let me know if I can help in any way. 

@Michael569o

Sorry, can't delete this

It figures out the cheapest adjustable desk is quite an good option. It is bigger than the motorized options which are 3-4 times more expensive. Screen holders are also not that expensive. The main dillema I need to buy screen and computer?

@Michael569

Screenshot_2021-09-07-22-01-45-019_com.android.chrome.jpg

Take 5min breaks every now and then to do squats and stretch. 

Sailing on the ceiling