7thLetter

As a content creator, should you save your best content for later?

15 posts in this topic

For someone who is just starting out with any sort of content creation, should they be releasing their worst content first then release their best content later?

I'm under the impression that it's a good idea to release low-quality content first to my small following, then as I grow with more views & followers I'll be releasing better content. Good strategy or not?

It might sound like a good answer for someone to say to just release great content at all times but I think that's a bit time consuming just for that one piece of content to get 10-50 views. It makes more sense to me that we should be focusing on quantity over quality in the beginning.

Although, I've seen a few channels where it seems like they've already had a bit of success from the beginning. Their first few videos aren't the best but those videos already had hundreds or thousands of views, unless subscribers just re-visited their old videos which brought the view count up.

There are also channels that released above-average content at the very beginning, it doesn't seem like they've gone through a phase of releasing shitty content which got them 10 views per video, unless they've deleted them.

It's like the Youtube channels that are already successful now have been great from the beginning, as if they were just made for this.

Leo's channel for example. If you look at his old videos from 8 years ago with him at the playground, of course those videos aren't as great as his newer content but those videos already have thousands of views, how? The only thing that explains this to me is that subscribers just revisited his old videos + it grew in terms of views organically over those 8 years. Still though, even a couple hundred views from the beginning is great. I've never really seen a successful channel where their first few videos have under 100 views.

So what is it, quantity over quality in the beginning? Or the other way around? 

Edited by 7thLetter

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

Try a big quantity of as much quality content as makes sense, I guess?

The thing is, quality content might go viral if you present it to the right audience and you can get explosive growth even with relatively small amount of videos

You got the wrong mindset. The best content you can create now is still shit compared to what you'll be able to create in a few years. Have a mindset of abundance. Good ideas will always come. If you think an idea would go to waste if you post it now, you can always go back and redo it, probably even better. 

2 hours ago, blueberries said:

you could create what you think is your best content now and then make an even better version later down the line.

2 hours ago, Godhead said:

If you think an idea would go to waste if you post it now, you can always go back and redo it, probably even better. 

Thanks, going to take this advice into consideration

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

7 hours ago, blueberries said:

I'm not a content creator myself, but some of my clients are.

Most content creators seem to recommend quantity over quality since it's basically impossible to predict what will go viral or be successful, and it's often not your best content. So you're more likely to go viral if you have a high volume of medium-quality content versus a low volume of high-quality content. Gary Vaynerchuk talks a lot about this (and even if you can't stand the guy, he knows his stuff regarding content creation).

But that doesn't mean you have to save your best topics for later, you could create what you think is your best content now and then make an even better version later down the line.

The problem with prioritizing quantity over quality is that, you might end up losing a lot of high value customers, who might just consider your content to be noise.

You should focus on making content what will actually be popular at first. It's not about quantity or quality, it's about selecting very popular and mainstream topics. As your audience grows you can branch out into more niche topics.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Any tips on how to find those popular and mainstream topics?

Google Trends is the only tool that I know of and use.

23 minutes ago, 7thLetter said:

@Leo Gura Any tips on how to find those popular and mainstream topics?

Google Trends is the only tool that I know of and use.

That's where you gotta be very intelligent and clever. No one will give you those.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@7thLetter

What is it you actually want to share? What is that which is the reason you even want to create content or have a channel?

If you remove the judgment of low or high quality, what is it you are really saying there?

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

I've seen extremely small channels with absolutely golden content but barely nobody gives a shit about them. Leo Gura knows what he's talking about, he did it after all, that's how most of us are here to begin with.

On 05/09/2021 at 4:35 PM, Godhead said:

You got the wrong mindset. The best content you can create now is still shit compared to what you'll be able to create in a few years. Have a mindset of abundance. Good ideas will always come. If you think an idea would go to waste if you post it now, you can always go back and redo it, probably even better. 

This.

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

It depends on what type of content are you going to make. I have seen some Youtubers make random stuff going viral. Walking or skating around the streets, talking to random people. Their views exploded. Once they started making more serious or professional videos that looked more like a media, their channels died out.

I think a very popular type of content right now is to travel around third world countries or countries with ongoing war and showing the reality to people. Lot's of people hate media and are looking for videos from normal people instead of media.

I'm a musician and I have certain projects that I've either started or that I've got planned out in my head, which require more skill than I feel I've currently got. It's okay to hold off on a project if you feel like you don't have what it needs to complete it at your current stage, but you shouldn't focus your content creation around such ideas. First and foremost, you should focus on getting stuff done, but having a broader vision of where you want to be as a creator and what kind of ideas you want to realize in the future is very good. It can give you some direction and inform you on which skills you should be focusing on if you want to realize that vision. I frequently go back to songs that I've started years ago and feel like I can finally finish them in correspondence to my original vision. 

Edit: Didn't realize this topic was fucking ancient.

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop