Mada_

Will I fail trying to master multiple skills

9 posts in this topic

I'd love to hear from people's experience:

I'm thinking about becoming really good at copywriting and graphic design, so that I can get full-time freelance work, and be able to actualize my own entrepreneurial projects such as a public speaking event for young people I am organising at the moment. 

If I try to get good at Graphic Design and Copywriting at the same time, is there a risk to me being only mediocre at these skills due to not giving full attention to one of them? I'm pretty confident that if I put in the work I can get good at both. 

Thoughts?

You can master multiple things. Most people will tell you you can't do it because they can't do it, don't listen to that crap. Just do it.

I like computer, biology and business. how shall I handle?

I should have a solid plan of working on them for a few years moving forward without losing concentration. that is the key! 

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

U need to focus on 1 thing that u will be the best in the world at it and then u need to master many things so that u r ok/mediocre at it

Read Range:Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World by David Epstein.

Edited by erik8lrl

8 hours ago, blueberries said:

You'd earn more as a freelancer if you're really good at one thing, and then you can outsource the graphic design/copywriting tasks to someone else when you launch your venture.

Having said that, I don't think you'd necessarily fail at mastering both skills as long as you follow the right strategy, accept it will take you longer, and have a very clear motivation for wanting to learn them both.

awesome advice, thanks very much

@Mada_

I´d also suggest to focus on one thing and one thing only at the time.

Now, about that. There still may be things that overlap in both areas.

So you´re never really mastering one single thing at any given time.

Skills can and do more often then not translate to other domains, sometimes more and sometimes less.

Depending on similarities and differences, you get the point.

Being a master at one thing is definitely better then being a jack of all trades who is a master of none.

I love you infinitely. I will find you forever in every life time because you and me are one. You and me eternally breathing life and bluming 

It depends on your nature.

An ADHD person usually does much better at a project if it is one of many projects. However, for others it is the opposite.

HealthyGamerGG has some great information regarding this. Look for his discussions on elemental models (I.e. fire, wind type personalities)

"I wanted only to try to live in accord with my true Self. Why was that so very difficult?" - Herse

"As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.” - Goethe

"There are no bad parts" - Schwartz

You can definitely master multiple skills but you have to figure out what will be your deliberate practice method and then spend many hours on each, ideally daily. It would be logistically easier to first focus on one and then other or you could alternate between weeks or days of focusing on one and the other. But most important is to have some sort of plan of practice. Whatever that would mean for you 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus