Nickfury7

Why do we have emotions?

17 posts in this topic

Was just chillin and I realise what a weird and cool thing it is that we have emotions and subjectivity. We’re not just a body but a mind, emotions and soul. Does anyone know why this is?

thanks

jules

Emotions are just energized thoughts.  Without emotions, motivation is impossible.  Emotions also help imprint memory.  They basically turn up the signal to noise within the brain.  We pay attention to things with strong emotional charge.  
But like all thoughts they are just thoughts even if they are powerful.  Feel them but don’t become attached.  Like watching clouds drift across the sky.  

Emotions make you move by moving you.

To balance beauty and complexity so perfectly is a divine mystery.

They are for your guidance. Thoughts about your self that aren’t true are associated with negative emotions — these alert you to realign.

7 hours ago, The0Self said:

They are for your guidance. Thoughts about your self that aren’t true are associated with negative emotions — these alert you to realign.

This is bang on. But the body does lie. It can overreact emotionally, and this can be debilitating. The guidance system is not perfect.

Nothing matters. Matter is nothing.

the human is a social being. emotions are the social glue, like ants pheromones or whatever. genetic programming tuned over millions of years

logic is better than emotion

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

38 minutes ago, hamedsf said:

logic is better than emotion

You can't actually reason without emotion. There is a reason why people get emotional in debates.

To balance beauty and complexity so perfectly is a divine mystery.