integral

China bans kids from playing online games for more then 3 hours per week

43 posts in this topic

I think there's some truth to nessesity of regulation of media consumption. We don't let kids smoke but it's not a problem to give them video games for limitless hours. It's time society takes collective responsibility for the harm that these games cause if overconsumed. I know it caused me a plenty of problems, especially for a little kid this shit is like a drug. You just can't stop playing. 

The problem I see with the CCP ban is that it's difficult to enforce, kids could just do some other stupid shit. But in general I support their efforts. Maybe there should be labels like on cigaretes warming about overconsumtion.

@RareGodzilla Sure mindless media consumption is a problem (video games included in that), but the only way you actually solve the problem is by instilling a healthy relationship with digital media from an early age. 

Which involves (surprise, surprise) engaged parents who are actually knowledgeable about digital media. That and actually having opportunities available for social engagement and fulfilling activities away from a screen.

That's of course leaving aside that online games are to at least some degree being scapegoated for more affluent young people in China choosing not to engage that country's toxic work culture (with the expectations that one need work 12 hours a day 6 days a week).

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/