modmyth

MUSIC: A Listening Journal

76 posts in this topic

THE BEAT GOES ON: This song has come back into my head in the past couple days and has been stuck there. The general theme has been thematically appropriate lately.

The vocals here were covered by Buddy Rich's 12 year old daughter, Cathy. There's something appealing about it that I find hard to explain, plus I appreciate all that jazz. I think the song was originally by Sonny & Cher (late 60s edition?).

COVID themed and era-appropriate music which is super relaxing. (36 is always predictably relaxing, not all ambient get-ups are, actually. It really is all over the place.) (Wait, where is the rest of the album? I can't seem to find it on YT.)

Something less relaxing. I'm finding it unpredictable whether I'm going to find music too spastic and overstimulating lately or not. Some days it's a bit too much and not preferred (sheer sensory overwhelment like nails on chalkboard no matter what I listen to if it's not the "right" thing, or sometimes it's just a matter of too much, excessive consumption, period. So I need to be mindful of how much I'm consuming, how I'm consuming it, and in relation to anything else that I'm doing, creating, or consuming (e.g. reading a ton, or consuming a lot of visual material)). Other days, it's completely fine. Me and my sensitive nervous system/ perception.

Edited by modmyth

SHOEGAZE: The same stuff keeps finding its way back onto my rotation very regularly:

This ridiculously, extremely early-mid 90s music video aesthetic:

I listened to this one a lot close to when it first came out.

I have not actually heard this live set before.

Early-mid 90s Slowdive:

A post on the previous page mentioning a more modern Shoegaze act:

Edited by modmyth
I don't know why I like the usually incoherent lyrics, but I do.

I stopped listening to new music a bit, mostly it's managing my overall sensory load (due to the propensity for overstimulation).

There are no real sleepers on this album, but this song stuck out to me at the moment, especially lyrically and the mood with which it was sung:

(To post lyrics, or to not post lyrics?)

Kiss me goodbye
Pushing out before I sleep
Can't you see I try?
Swimming the same deep water as you is hard

The shallow drowned lose less than we
The strangest twist upon your lips
And we shall be together
And we shall be together

Kiss me goodbye bow your head and join with me
And face pushed deep, reflections meet
And disappear, the ripples clear

And laughing break against your feet
And laughing break the mirror sweet
So we shall be together

So we shall be together

Kiss me goodbye
Pushing out before I sleep
It's lower now, and slower now

But I don't see, and I don't feel
But tightly hold up silently
My hands before my fading eyes
And in my eyes your smile

The very last thing before I go

I will kiss you, I will kiss you
I will kiss you forever on nights like this
I will kiss you, I will kiss you
And we shall be together

The line "I will kiss you forever on nights like this" was the one that especially stood out to me. It seems to sum up a feeling that I've more or less been chasing in some form or  another, whether more explicitly or less so, or more or less honestly, either in direct experience or the idea of it.

Overall, I suppose I was expecting a much more depressive or "angsty" sound than I got, but I did not find it to be a very heavy album. This is partially why I put off listening to this particular album. Dude, I don't need that kind of feng shui in my life.

Edited by modmyth

Back to The Murlocs (Young Blindness, 2016)

Big Star (#1 Record, 1972): I heard "The Ballad of El Goodo" at the end of the 3rd season of Sex Education, and it made me want to listen to this album again. This song in particular, I feel like I've heard it around in SO many movies or TV shows, but I can't say where I have, really...

I find the whole record moderately anti-nostalgic though because I listened to it at least a handful of times in between 2017-2019 and it unfortunately reminds me of this feeling of a creeping sense of hope, then utter hopeless and decline.

Not this song though! (What I really recognize is the intro for seasons 4-5. Apparently it was covered by Cheap Trick. Also, apparently I have forgotten and re-rembered this detail as I've looked it up before. To my memory, show was constantly on TV during my late childhood/ tween years.)

Honestly this album was.... pretty good! 1) But somehow I feel like I've overheard "I Ran (So Far Away), even though I really haven't. 2) Those mirrors in that music video, as someone who spent a significant portion of her life being really uncomfortable around mirrors for multiple reasons. Bleurgh.

The "Sex Education" Playlist (Seasons 1-3):

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0SmKzbbBAmspl0GCiETzYp?si=6c4f723ace064c8d

It's a really curious mix of songs.

Revisiting the COCTEAU TWINS: This is the album of theirs that I listened to the most of as an adult, but I had never heard as a teenager. Back then, everything I listened was from the early-mid 80s only.

This one is from that above time period, though I'm not as familiar with it.

Elizabeth Fraser was known for something like glossolalia in her singing style (singing in a made-up, incomprehensible language). and is sometimes compared to Lisa Gerarrd from Dead Can Dance for that reason.

Posted (edited)

TesseracT:

This is actually my first time listening to this band despite having been aware of them for a while. When it comes to "new metal" (aka. about anything after the mid 2000s, or at the very latest, anything past 2010), it's like I've been living under a rock for the most part. I have absolutely no idea what's going on! I saw @ivankiss mention them either in one of his journals or a thread on metal and I made a mental note to listen to them...

I'm really feeling it so far! I had a few moments where I got really emotional which is not something which happens too much with music these days.

(This one appears to be a compilation album of previous works?)

So, I've been listening backward, basically.

Edited by modmyth

Posted (edited)

TesseracT (continued): What I've been listening to that's new for the last half a week.

In particular, Tourniquet, Phoenix, and Messenger warm my cold, dark, apathetic heart (musically speaking).

And this one now:

Vocally, I tend to prefer the previous album (at least so far).

Edited by modmyth

Posted (edited)

REVISITING BAUHAUS: So I know I've listened to at least part of this album, because I have heard this first song which is a cover...

...of this song:

Anyway, I'm listening to this one now, which came before the previous album. 

1) !!!! This first song sounds REALLY shoegazey! (circa 1973 though...) 2) This album is SO good so far (about half way through). 3) The oddness of parts of it makes me smile.

I hadn't listened to early Brian Eno until a handful of years ago. I had no idea that he used to be SO glam.

Eno+glam.jpg

This wasn't the Brian Eno I knew during my childhood, haha. My brain was confused for a while. I didn't even know he did rock anything, so...

tumblr_o43xgp1BTe1snb6qwo1_1280.jpg

The 70s/ 80s...

I also didn't know that he was part of Roxy music, but it's been years and years since I paid attention who is in what group doing what (or not), for the most part.

Roxy-Music_1st-Album-Deluxe-Press-shots-

Edited by modmyth

CAMEL: I listened to them a bit some years ago, but I'm not sure if I ever actually listened to a full album. Today, I just listened to this one.

There is often a very warm tone to these older records, like the feeling of being covered in warm honey and sunshine.

Nevermind, that actually sounds disgusting, haha.

A second one:

I remember hearing this song originally and immediately I recognized the very obvious influence on the next song.

ALSO: Personally, I find this song to be a banger.

I totally remember listening to this as a teenager.

Here, I think the influence is pretty nondebatable?

EDIT: I feel like I've been listening to this band (Camel) on behalf of my teenaged self which did NOT get to hear this. Sad.

Edited by modmyth
Things I like: slappin' bass.

I LOVE NICK DRAKE (A Revisitation): I posted his albums in chronological order, but honestly... my favourite albums are in this order: "Bryter Layter", Five Leaves Left, and Pink Moon. My general impression is that the preferred albums (at least in terms of popularity) are usually in the reverse order.

I might have mentioned on the previous page (I can't be assed to go check) that "Bryter Layter" has been an album that I avoided because I was listening to it a lot in the spring 2019 period, and so I came to associate with the veneer of hope covering a seemingly endless pit of being ready to give up completely now. (I find it slightly annoying that I feel the compulsion and necessity to mention in this journal or other journals in an offhanded way.)

Personal Favourites from "Five Leaves Left": "Time has Told Me" (way to start this album with tears), "River Man", "'Cello Song".

Not only does this feel like the most optimistic album, it also feels like the most intimate to listen to, which is probably why I was drawn to it. In general, I am in the habit of avoiding "wrist slitting music" especially in the case where it has tended to compound sadness and feelings of hopelessness. Now that I don't feel that way so much, I just don't vibe with it anyway. Anyway, I honestly don't find any of his music to be depressive though in and of itself, but apparently some people do.

Personal favourites in general were Hazey Jane 2 & 1, and "One of These Things First" (even though the latter song sounds like the start of a cellphone ringtone... it's still a good song.), and also "Northern Sky". (Isn't that half the album, modmyth?)

My particular favourite today is "Northern Sky", which I think is generally considered one of his most optimistic songs (if not the most optimistic one).

In general, this album made me feel like ugly crying (right in a public place no less, which is really not one of my favourite things; but mostly, I'm over this taboo of my own upbringing at this point and IDGAF.)

Today I listened to it, and I felt like I lost the sensation of my whole body because my heart felt like it was glowing, and I felt like some sort of infinite, floating heart... (...if the "heart" itself was the universe and everything, and at that point, is no longer a "heart".)

And... just finishing up the rest of this album now.

THIS MIGHT BE WEIRD: I've kind of wanted to build a portal so I could go back to the 70s and stuff Nick Drake in a closet so that I can keep him all to myself. IDK why but he inspires cute aggression.

(........................)

Edited by modmyth

HIP HOP/ RAP: The music of the night. (Don't ask me to categorize the genre other than this; I don't know. :P)

A new one from this year:

I'm surprised that I haven't heard this one yet.

Something completely new.

I'm finally listening to this one just now.

Vibes so far with the last album: Industrial-ish .... also makes me think of an ancient underwater cult taking place and being recorded in a submarine?.

Vibe 2: Without even looking at the title, "Heads" sounded like smashing your head into trash can lids and using them as percussion. (????!!! ......)

Edited by modmyth
Very specific mental images, I know.

MORE LISTENING:

Another album by Dalek (experimental hip hop???). I've adjusted to their sound now, at least what I've heard so far.

I relistened to this again (a live version of Awake! was posted above. Honestly, it's the only song which is moderately danceable.) For whatever reason, I have no negative associations to this record despite the time period; that it's not a downer record helps a lot.

"Numbered" stands out on this particular listen, particularly Anneke's layered vocals. Listen to it on some half-decent headphones because there's usually a lot of nuance in Devin Townsend's layering of sound, period. It's just a lovely song in general.

Listening to this while going for a walk in the slightly chilly autumn wind is really nice.

REVISITING SOMETHING ELSE: For some reason, CAN makes me think of pretentious fucking fans/ music listeners (did I ever used to be one? Possibly a bit, probably a moderate amount, especially as a teenager).

Probably the shortest and catchiest song from the album:

I'm not even sure where I inherited this impression from, exactly. But it makes me think of this song by LCD Soundsystem ("I'm Losing My Edge", which I had heard after I had gotten said impression from who-knows-where):

Yeah, I'm losing my edge.
I'm losing my edge.
The kids are coming up from behind.
I'm losing my edge.
I'm losing my edge to the kids from France and from London.
But I was there.

I was there in 1968.
I was there at the first Can show in Cologne.

I'm losing my edge.
I'm losing my edge to the kids whose footsteps I hear when they get on the decks.
I'm losing my edge to the Internet seekers who can tell me every member of every good group from 1962 to 1978.
I'm losing my edge.

To all the kids in Tokyo and Berlin.
I'm losing my edge to the art-school Brooklynites in little jackets and borrowed nostalgia for the unremembered eighties.

But I'm losing my edge.
I'm losing my edge, but I was there.
I was there.
But I was there.

I'm losing my edge.
I'm losing my edge.
I can hear the footsteps every night on the decks.
But I was there.
I was there in 1974 at the first Suicide practices in a loft in New York City.
I was working on the organ sounds with much patience.
I was there when Captain Beefheart started up his first band.
I told him, "Don't do it that way. You'll never make a dime."
I was there.
I was the first guy playing Daft Punk to the rock kids.
I played it at CBGB's.
Everybody thought I was crazy.
We all know.
I was there.
I was there.
I've never been wrong.

I used to work in the record store.
I had everything before anyone.
I was there in the Paradise Garage DJ booth with Larry Levan.
I was there in Jamaica during the great sound clashes.
I woke up naked on the beach in Ibiza in 1988.

But I'm losing my edge to better-looking people with better ideas and more talent.
And they're actually really, really nice.

I'm losing my edge.

I heard you have a compilation of every good song ever done by anybody. Every great song by the Beach Boys. All the underground hits. All the Modern Lovers tracks. I heard you have a vinyl of Every Niagra record on German import. I heard that you have a white label of every seminal Detroit Techno hit - 1985, '86, '87. I heard that you have a CD compilation of every good '60s cut and Another box set from the '70s.

I hear you're buying a synthesizer and an arpeggiator and are throwing your computer out the window because you want to make something real. You want to make a Yaz record.

I hear that you and your band have sold your guitars and bought turntables.
I hear that you and your band have sold your turntables and bought guitars.

I hear everybody that you know is more relevant than everybody that I know.

But have you seen my records? This Heat, Pere Ubu, Outsiders, Nation of Ulysses, Mars, The Trojans, The Black Dice, Todd Terry, the Germs, Section 25, Althea and Donna, Sexual harassment, a-ha, Pere Ubu, Dorothy Ashby, PIL, the Fania All-Stars, the Bar-Kays, the Human League, the Normal, Lou Reed, Scott Walker, Monks, Niagra,

Joy Division, Lower 48, the Association, Sun Ra,
Scientists, Royal Trux, 10cc,

Eric B. and Rakim, Index, Basic Channel, Soulsonic Force ("just hit me"!), Juan Atkins, David Axelrod, Electric Prunes, Gil! Scott! Heron!, the Slits, Faust, Mantronix, Pharaoh Sanders and the Fire Engines, the Swans, the Soft Cell, the Sonics, the Sonics, the Sonics, the Sonics.

You don't know what you really want. (x15)

CAN is fun though.

(......)

MUSIC SNOBS: I had gotten this impression in my early-mid teens, that some guys can't separate how you feel about a certain band from your opinion about them (e.g. their personality, their attitude, perspective, etc., including musically). AKA. the band might be perfectly fine and interesting.... but you are annoying, and somehow your musical taste has become an extension of your penile-fueled ego as well. Not a turn on. Also, not particularly impressive in-and-of-itself. Lastly, at least perhaps consider finding some other cause to identity with at least just as passionately as something which is based on consumption of other people's work, thanks. (..................) That said, I had a solid handful of musically particular guy friends as a teenager as well, and I usually enjoyed getting introduced to new stuff then.

If I wasn't dealing with it then, I'm probably not gonna deal with grown-ass versions of that now, wherever they might be.

Note:  I feel pretty neutrally about this whole issue now though.

Edited by modmyth
I have had things which I used to feel very strong about musically though. Now? Meh.. (Part of it is why get all wired/ riled up over all of this in a very opiniated and possibly vicious way though?)