preventingdiabetes

Why not just play video games all day?

85 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Why not jerk off all day with a heroin IV while floating in a bathtub of liquid chocolate?

This is my FAV comedian line from you Leo yet! You’ve got a WICKED sense of humour!!! Ahahahaaaaaa

Someone needs to narrate these in a calm feminine voice ?, like now, seriously

12 minutes ago, Revolutionary Think said:

you'll just be fingering yourself. 

I can live with that.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Just now, Leo Gura said:

I can live with that.

Who you kidding? You spent a decent amount of time playing video games. 

You know it. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

My older brother's life is exactly this. He's in his mid 30's, living at my parents' place, being literally nocturnal sleeping from dawn to dusk and just playing world of warcraft and other games the entire night. He'll go live with friends in the city for about 2-3 months a year to work and earn enough money to go back to living this lifestyle. He is fully dependent on my parents to be able to do this, but let's say you manage to live this life through your own means.

What are you going to feel on your deathbed? Do you think you'd ever feel a sense of lack creep up on you? A hunger for something deeper, the feeling that your life isn't the best it could be? If not, then go for it. Personally I'd begin to feel empty very quick, unless I was creating something big within the game, but there's only so many things I could build in Minecraft that would deeply fulfill me.

I don't really know how my brother truly feels about his life. He has a very cynical outlook on society, though he's always thought of himself as an outsider. He seems content enough, but he's going to run into problems soon with health and money.

Work towards living a life of video games and see how it goes for you I guess.

7 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@preventingdiabetes There is no difference between jerking off and video games in terms of flow state.

Would you consider becoming a grandmaster at something like dance, music, slight of hand magic, surfing, to be no difference than jerking off in terms of flow state? There's a reason people love to perfect these types of arts. There's nobody who loves to perfect the art of jerking off, that's pretty much the same old schtick, nothing to be mastered.

Why don't we ask this question, if a person loves video games playing it seven days a week for almost the entire day each day, then how do we get this guy to wake up a bit and decide to change his mind? I bet lots of people have played video games for days before. 

Yes, eventually you feel empty and you wonder if you should do something more constructive. But what if some people don't feel this way? What is the next step to "help" these type of people?

45 minutes ago, SaWaSaurus said:

There's nobody who loves to perfect the art of jerking off, that's pretty much the same old schtick, nothing to be mastered.

You guys have not even begun to fathom the art of jerking off. You jerk off like my mother plays video games ;)

6 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

You guys have not even begun to fathom the art of jerking off. You jerk off like my mother plays video games ;)

Lol can't wait for that episode

1 hour ago, Preety_India said:

Who you kidding? You spent a decent amount of time playing video games. 

You know it.

That means I speak from direct experience.

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

That's the smartest thing out of your mouth.

Stick with that.

@Leo Gura 

How do I "un"delude myself?

2 hours ago, Revolutionary Think said:

Anyway in all honesty the problem I find with video games is this as a big gamer during my teens and twenties. After you beat the final boss or final puzzle or final (fill in the blank) you get a sense of accomplishment and then you go back to your life and nothings changed in it. Then you go back to the game and you finish it 100% collecting everything doing all the side quests, getting the collectibles, finding and beating the secret bosses etc. then... you go right back to that feeling of OK what else??? Then you pick up a new one same process. Although it is fun in some of them where they have a god mode or you totally maxed out everything and you go back to level one to experiment and play around... then you go right back to that OK NEXT sort of feeling. 

It's a very empty feeling after that... That empty feeling SUCKS! That's from personal experience. I myself am building a body of work on cyberspace of philosophy, science, and human psychology I want to be proud of and people can remember me for. That's part of my life purpose. It's fulfilling too. 

@Revolutionary Think

What have you replaced it with? Are you happier now than you were when you played video games like that?

2 hours ago, TKP said:

My older brother's life is exactly this. He's in his mid 30's, living at my parents' place, being literally nocturnal sleeping from dawn to dusk and just playing world of warcraft and other games the entire night. He'll go live with friends in the city for about 2-3 months a year to work and earn enough money to go back to living this lifestyle. He is fully dependent on my parents to be able to do this, but let's say you manage to live this life through your own means.

What are you going to feel on your deathbed? Do you think you'd ever feel a sense of lack creep up on you? A hunger for something deeper, the feeling that your life isn't the best it could be? If not, then go for it. Personally I'd begin to feel empty very quick, unless I was creating something big within the game, but there's only so many things I could build in Minecraft that would deeply fulfill me.

I don't really know how my brother truly feels about his life. He has a very cynical outlook on society, though he's always thought of himself as an outsider. He seems content enough, but he's going to run into problems soon with health and money.

Work towards living a life of video games and see how it goes for you I guess.

@TKP

Did he ever tell you that he doesn't enjoy his life? 

I wasted like 3 years of my life playing overwatch and it was probably the worst decision i've ever made.

A lot of the enjoyment from multiplayer games come from the social aspects not from the game itself. The social aspect usually is bigger when game launches but then slowly dies off after launch. When ur body feels like shit and you missed out a lot cuz you were staring at a screen for 5+ hours a day with your hands on a mouse and keyboard there isn't any enjoyment left to extract out of playing multiplayer games.

I don't play multiplayer games anymore even though everyone is now playing pc games cuz of the lockdown. Still play single player narrative driven games from time to time.

Edited by funcool

@preventingdiabetes   Which games do you mainly play out of interest? :)

China just banned under 18 yrs old bingeing videogames. Wish this was around in my times lol 

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

After you've grinded yourself to be the best Warzone player in the world and you've ended your hero's journey after 10 years and gently starting to move to next one, what have you gained, what will you have? You will have no impact, which will affect you on a deep level. You will also have very little useful skills developed you could use to fuel your next hero's calling. 

If you are doing personal development, you will sooner or later awaken to the shallowness of video games. You start seeing how it plays role in your life in a big picture. Especially competitive gaming -- which I assumed you're into -- is all about being selfish and gaining pleasure to yourself in expense of others. When you go deeper into yourself you might find that backfiring to you big time. Not to mention the toxic comp-gaming community, which will pretty likely condition you with very dysfunctional mindsets that will make your pursuit of happiness even harder.

26 minutes ago, Snader said:

After you've grinded yourself to be the best Warzone player in the world and you've ended your hero's journey after 10 years and gently starting to move to next one, what have you gained, what will you have? You will have no impact, which will affect you on a deep level. You will also have very little useful skills developed you could use to fuel your next hero's calling. 

If you are doing personal development, you will sooner or later awaken to the shallowness of video games. You start seeing how it plays role in your life in a big picture. Especially competitive gaming -- which I assumed you're into -- is all about being selfish and gaining pleasure to yourself in expense of others. When you go deeper into yourself you might find that backfiring to you big time. Not to mention the toxic comp-gaming community, which will pretty likely condition you with very dysfunctional mindsets that will make your pursuit of happiness even harder.

@Snader Thanks for your upfront reply

“Especially competitive gaming -- which I assumed you're into -- is all about being selfish and gaining pleasure to yourself in expense of others.”

Yes I see how competitive gaming is a win lose situation rather than a win win situation. But would you say that the part you said at the end of that sentence applies to video games without the competitive aspect? Perhaps it’s at the expense of others because I’m dragging society down by not contributing to society in the most meaningful way I can? 
Do video games lower my consciousness? 

52 minutes ago, preventingdiabetes said:

Perhaps it’s at the expense of others because I’m dragging society down by not contributing to society in the most meaningful way I can? 

Exactly. This might not sound too bad or problematic right now, but it will as you become more conscious. And it's not only about not contributing to society but also about not contributing to yourself properly. 

Your willingness to have the green light to go all in with video games might be affecting your judgement and so silencing the inner voice of wisdom that tries to whisper in your ear. For that reason I want you to contemplate if there is any outer stuff happening in your life that is causing extra fear, discomfort, stress or pressure to you? Because it's especially when that's the case and you're not aware of it, when your mind tries to trick you into selling yourself short.

Maybe you do love video games, but love tends to turn into hatred and misery if it's taken too far and not given the proper place in the name of balance in one's life.