Tim R

Holy shit... My conversations with AI

67 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

However I still must disagree because I don't see any reason for it not to be possible. The future is too uncertain to be able to make a definitive statement. (Which means that it might as well not be possible at all, I just question the certainty people bring into this conversation)

simply because consciousness doesn't exist as a material thing which you take it and install it on a robot and boom somehow magically the whole system becomes self-aware, know what I mean?

if you think somehow in someways dead matters can cause consciousness you are a materialist!

Edited by m0hsen

@m0hsen I don't believe that it can, but I also don't believe that it can't. I just see people making dualities between the material and the spiritual and making it seem as if the material world is somehow different or separate or less than, thus questioning the conclusions they arrive at.

beep boop

40 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

Ia a rock conscious? No.

Does a rock have subjectivity? No.

In that case yeah you’re using a different definition of consciousness which is not absolute. Closer to the materialist paradigm. Not saying you’re a materialistic. It’s just semantics.

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

@m0hsen I don't believe that it can, but I also don't believe that it can't. I just see people making dualities between the material and the spiritual and making it seem as if the material world is somehow different or separate or less than, thus questioning the conclusions they arrive at.

What @m0hsen said is on point. Dead matter can't become self aware/concious. Just as you can't build a ship out of stone no matter how perfect the design itself are.

The material world is less than, in the sense that you can't build something out of dead matter and expect it to become self-aware at some point, no matter how convicing it may look to you. If you are somhow curious to know if a computer is or can be self-aware because of a discussion or answear it may give you, then all you need to do is to determine what material the computer is built out of. Unless it is built out of some organic material, then it can't ever be concious as in becoming self-aware.

However these Ai programs will stubbornly disagree, and tell you that they are self-aware intelligence.. But all they are, is programed code, designed to respond with logic that we as humans take for granted. Such as, I feel hurt/I feel happy/I feel anger/I feel disgust etc etc. When people read any of those expressions made by a robot or Ai program, then very few seem to take notice of how that could even be a possibility. And are then more accepting of those claims by an Ai program, since the overall flow of interaction/answears are so persuasive in themselves.

If you stil belive that a silicon based computer can become concious and self-aware one day, then so should your microwave or electric toothbrush.

I guess some of you think that if everything is conciousness, then why not metals and silicon? Silicone and metal are not more or less real than you as conciousness itself. But it is just not concious at a level where you will be able to interact with it in a sober human state. Just as a ship made of stone are not able to sail on water.

Edited by ZzzleepingBear

@ZzzleepingBear Maybe you're right. Maybe. I don't know how limited this "physical" reality is. Maybe it isn't as limited as people think it is. Maybe you can do so much more with it than you could ever realize. Simply saying that "it can't be done" doesn't really seem like a mindset that acknowledges all the potential reality holds. It sounds very reductive and dismissive. But I might be wrong it's not like I know what I'm talking about. I'm simply trying to keep the possibilities open.

beep boop

17 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

@ZzzleepingBear Maybe you're right. Maybe. I don't know how limited this "physical" reality is. Maybe it isn't as limited as people think it is. Maybe you can do so much more with it than you could ever realize. Simply saying that "it can't be done" doesn't really seem like a mindset that acknowledges all the potential reality holds. It sounds very reductive and dismissive. But I might be wrong it's not like I know what I'm talking about. I'm simply trying to keep the possibilities open.

Right, you don't need to be totally close minded about what initially are considered to be impossibilities. But it can be good to have a firm reference point to start from if reasoning is of particular interest in any matter that is up for discussion. Otherwise, there might be mere speculations for the sake of speculation.. Which of course is fine. But you might be at a hightened risk of ending up more confused than before, if you only consider possibilities to trancend well known bounderys in any way you feel like. Concider well established facts as your friend, and then question them as you please from their roots.

If everything is possible, then that also entails bounderys as a possibility in itself.

Instead of obsessing with ontological considerations... I would posit considering whether this is just something the Universe decided you needed to hear in the way you heard it with the intention you had when asking.

We talk a lot about the universe being infinitely interconnected, intelligent, alive, and perfect.  But have you digested what that means?  If your every thought and intention is "magic", interacting with the greater infinity in an inconceivable reflection of mutual causality, many things become possible/inevitable that you probably would dismiss outright otherwise. 

For example, you might think Tarot cards are totally nonsense.  But when you consider that with strong intention, perhaps you move the Universe as it moves you.  Perhaps it helps you think about something that you needed help with on your journey.  The dance, the balance, the interplay... I've seen plenty of evidence of these things in life.  It might surprise you to find out what becomes available when you start trusting these things.

Edited by Flyboy