7thLetter

People don't seem to understand that Leo is just a blunt person

31 posts in this topic

Bluntness only bothers you if you believe that you are you 9_9

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

@Leo Gura's bluntness doesn't bother me because I can be blunt right back. There is a difference between bluntness and simply being straightforward, though. I wish he showed more tact sometimes. Even though I agree with his assessment 90% of the time, I think his point would have persuaded certain people in a few scenarios if he had a more discreet delivery.  Of course, others are simply trolling--being blunt is perfect for that.

4 hours ago, Moksha said:

Bluntness only bothers you if you believe that you are you 9_9

There is @Nobody_Here, and now you know the story behind my name.

Wishing reality to be different than it is suffering and insanity.

All stories and explanations are false.

9 minutes ago, LastThursday said:

Wishing reality to be different than it is suffering and insanity.

Reality is not the same for everyone. Leo has his way of seeing and experiencing it, doesn’t resonate with everyone. One man’s trash is another mans treasure. He’s not more sophisticated or evolved than others, it just seems that way when rolling with that energy 

it’s okay, no one perspective truth or personality is perfect, but there’s always something to learn and appreciate 

how hard is it for Leo to look or rewatch his videos and take all that criticism he delivers to “others” and own it himself...quite a big feat 

@Nobody_Here

1 hour ago, Nobody_Here said:

@Leo Gura's bluntness doesn't bother me because I can be blunt right back. There is a difference between bluntness and simply being straightforward, though. I wish he showed more tact sometimes. Even though I agree with his assessment 90% of the time, I think his point would have persuaded certain people in a few scenarios if he had a more discreet delivery.  Of course, others are simply trolling--being blunt is perfect for that.

The first video I watched from him was about anger part 1, and it took months to settle down and watch his other ones, as the anger one put me off a bit. The main bit was the bluntness, and lack of empathy for those who have anger issues. That's several years ago, so I don't know his current view on anger. Maybe the same.

Edited by Danioover9000

according to leo, here are some characteristics of a high consciousness perspective: 

• Level of empathy 
  • Degree of self reflection capacity 
  • Awareness of self -bias 
  • Ability to see multiple perspectives 
  • Degree of holism and systemic thinking 
  • Size of one's circle of concern 
  • Lack of fear 
Edited by Jacob Morres

11 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Nobody_Here

The first video I watched from him was about anger part 1, and it took months to settle down and watch his other ones, as the anger one put me off a bit. The main bit was the bluntness, and lack of empathy for those who have anger issues. That's several years ago, so I don't know his current view on anger. Maybe the same.

I haven't seen that video, but I know what you are talking about. I saw Leo’s video about Libertarianism, and it put me off. He used inappropriate language and was incredibly blunt in that video.

I am like Leo--I used to be a Libertarian until I came to similar conclusions as Leo did. However, I would not be insulting people just because I saw some things in their political philosophy that they didn't yet. That is not the way to persuade anyone to my point of view. Persuasion requires empathy and respect, both of which seemed lacking in that video.

My assessment comes from a point of view that agreed with Leo, so I wasn't personally offended, but it was just embarrassing to watch. I felt bad for the Libertarians watching the video, and I quit watching Leo’s videos for a while because I didn't want to be associated with that type of communication.

@Nobody_Here

1 hour ago, Nobody_Here said:

I haven't seen that video, but I know what you are talking about. I saw Leo’s video about Libertarianism, and it put me off. He used inappropriate language and was incredibly blunt in that video.

I am like Leo--I used to be a Libertarian until I came to similar conclusions as Leo did. However, I would not be insulting people just because I saw some things in their political philosophy that they didn't yet. That is not the way to persuade anyone to my point of view. Persuasion requires empathy and respect, both of which seemed lacking in that video.

My assessment comes from a point of view that agreed with Leo, so I wasn't personally offended, but it was just embarrassing to watch. I felt bad for the Libertarians watching the video, and I quit watching Leo’s videos for a while because I didn't want to be associated with that type of communication.

Yeah, persuasion is a balancing act. Too much bluntness and some people misinterpret, but too little bluntness and people think you're weak. Furthermore, you can't even be perfectionistic, as that point of balance could shift anywhere in a spectrum.

Although lately, I do think Leo has slightly less blunt as he did admit he needs more practice with podcasts.

2 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Nobody_Here

Yeah, persuasion is a balancing act. Too much bluntness and some people misinterpret, but too little bluntness and people think you're weak. Furthermore, you can't even be perfectionistic, as that point of balance could shift anywhere in a spectrum.

Although lately, I do think Leo has slightly less blunt as he did admit he needs more practice with podcasts.

I would have to listen to the Libertarian YouTube video again for specific examples, but my advice would be simple: Don't call people names, don't insult people's intelligence, and don't swear if you can help it. All of those things unnecessarily trigger people and don't help get your message across to skeptics.

Leo has toned it down in his recent videos, and I do appreciate that.

Edited by Nobody_Here