martins name

Insight: The Difference Between Green and Yellow Multi-perspectivalism

5 posts in this topic

The ability to take multiple perspectives stays the same but one component is added in yellow, it values all perspectives. Green can take the perspective of a Blue person but it's seen as the enemy, then usually green loses its multi-perspectivalism and regresses to blue and moralizes against it. Yellow sees the value in all perspectives. Yellow is an octave over beige. Beige is survival and yellow is universal survival. The impulse to see the value in all perspectives comes from that impulse to make things survive and thrive. The dialectical, or integrative impulse of yellow comes from seeing every perspective as valuable even when they seem contradictory on the surface. 

The road to God is paved with bliss.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would see stage Yellow as the ability to take a holistic view of a system. For example a stage Green activity might be to send money to the poor of a country and to feel good about that. But a stage Yellow view might be to ask, is that money going to the people it is intended for or local warlords; is the money being targeted at the right people; is giving money the best activity, maybe building schools or sending clothing is better; maybe it's better to teach the locals better survival skills, or to give them education; maybe we're imposing our values on their culture? And on and on. 

So these are all Green concerns, but you can see the more you take into account, the more systems minded (Yellow) your approach has to become. Being Yellow is a realisation that everything is interconnected, changing one thing here, changes something else over there.

Over here in the UK for example, there is a mania in cities and towns for slowing down traffic to 20 mph (30 kph). This is good, as it reduces accidents and save lives. But equally it is bad because it burns more fuel and increases pollution and actually keeps cars on the road longer. It never deters car usage. This is an example of stage Green thinking without taking a systems view approach.

Edited by LastThursday

All stories and explanations are false.

1 hour ago, martins name said:

The ability to take multiple perspectives stays the same but one component is added in yellow, it values all perspectives. Green can take the perspective of a Blue person but it's seen as the enemy, then usually green loses its multi-perspectivalism and regresses to blue and moralizes against it. Yellow sees the value in all perspectives. Yellow is an octave over beige. Beige is survival and yellow is universal survival. The impulse to see the value in all perspectives comes from that impulse to make things survive and thrive. The dialectical, or integrative impulse of yellow comes from seeing every perspective as valuable even when they seem contradictory on the surface. 

Absolutely. I'd say I have a lot of yellow, but I occasionally get drawn into silly debates with conservatives which makes me think I still have a lot of green in me. 

Green - To get triggered by other perspectives and feel that they are an attack.  To assume the other perspectives are wrong, bad, selfish.  To not see that one has limited information and is being biased.  To assume that one is being honorable by upholding their own perspective and shutting the other ones down.

Yellow - To not get triggered by other perspectives.  To appreciate more information to better understand a situation.  To acknowledge that a perspective warps what is seen and when you add another perspective on top of that, it totally changes the picture and then to add another one totally changes it again.  To assume that one is being honorable by exploring and taking in as many perspectives as possible and not shutting them out as wrong, bad, or selfish but rather incomplete.  To acknowledge that all perspectives will be incomplete.