Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Globalcollective

How to stop a stop a war between green and oragne

18 posts in this topic

I work at a wellbeing center and when I first started working there it was the epitomy of stage green and everyone who works there is also at stage green. However because of Covid a new manager took it over who is the epitomy of stage orange and of course when the new manger came and changed the values to stage orange it pissed of the green people and now there is a toxic war going on between them. Would it be possible to change the new managers perspective to green or will that have to happen naturally. Its quite comical how a wall street type has started managing a hippy wellbeing center. 

It won't work. Ideally, the manager needs to go, rather than all the staff, but if he doesn't the staff will end up leaving eventually.

Can it be raised to the manager's superior? Obviously, you can't mention spiral dynamics, but you could say that the manager's values aren't mixing well with everybody else, which is causing a lot of conflict. 

@Stovo

19 minutes ago, Stovo said:

It won't work. Ideally, the manager needs to go, rather than all the staff, but if he doesn't the staff will end up leaving eventually.

Can it be raised to the manager's superior? Obviously, you can't mention spiral dynamics, but you could say that the manager's values aren't mixing well with everybody else, which is causing a lot of conflict. 

Yes all the staff are starting to leave and he is looking to employ other people who have stage orange mindsets. Yes the problem was never raised to the managers superior, I have actually sent the superior Leo's videos on SD but he never had time to watch it. What do you think the consequences of moving down to stage orange will be?

Consequence could probably be the atmosphere of the wellbeing center shifting towards more strict protocols in order to prevent covid from getting into the facility. This would build trust for customers who would become more likely to put their family members into the facility, however the stricter rules and tighter resource management would result in less effort put into the psychological care of the patients. The patients would become more managed instead of being cared for.

1 hour ago, Globalcollective said:

@Stovo

Yes all the staff are starting to leave and he is looking to employ other people who have stage orange mindsets. Yes the problem was never raised to the managers superior, I have actually sent the superior Leo's videos on SD but he never had time to watch it. What do you think the consequences of moving down to stage orange will be?

My boss is similar. He is super stage orange, even bits of blue and red, but a lot of the staff are young stage green. Staff turnover is really high as people feel alienated by it. 

The ironic thing is the lack of empathy and compassion towards staff results in lower performance than if he was a stage green type, because people don't feel valued and high staff turnover is causing big problems. 

I would guess a similar thing will happen at your place of work. More focus on performance and success at the expense of empathy and caring, which will ironically result in lower performance in the end. 

Brainwash the manager into stage green by dressing it up as strange orange. Use numbers to make your case. If you're too concerned for your job to make the case directly to him, write a glassdoor review and then email it to him anonymously (or a screenshot). Don't attack him personally and help him understand what he will gain through adopting stage green practices (don't call it that!) - higher employee retention, more productivity, less HR issues, more profit, etc. 

@Stovo @ted73104

2 hours ago, ted73104 said:

Consequence could probably be the atmosphere of the wellbeing center shifting towards more strict protocols in order to prevent covid from getting into the facility. This would build trust for customers who would become more likely to put their family members into the facility, however the stricter rules and tighter resource management would result in less effort put into the psychological care of the patients. The patients would become more managed instead of being cared for.

yes there is defo stricter protocols but unfortunately no changes regarding rules for Covid.  Everyones mental health who works there took abit of turn for the worst but do you think that could be due to greens overly soft nature ?

1 hour ago, Stovo said:

My boss is similar. He is super stage orange, even bits of blue and red, but a lot of the staff are young stage green. Staff turnover is really high as people feel alienated by it. 

The ironic thing is the lack of empathy and compassion towards staff results in lower performance than if he was a stage green type, because people don't feel valued and high staff turnover is causing big problems. 

I would guess a similar thing will happen at your place of work. More focus on performance and success at the expense of empathy and caring, which will ironically result in lower performance in the end. 

@Stovo  Yes it use to be great and everyone would stay but now everyone wants to leave and he is hiring more stage orange people. You can really feel it in the atmosphere, in one sense we do earn more money. I wonder what the damage will be spiritually who knows. We did all of a sudden get loads of power cuts recently and a few bad reviews ;/  

@Globalcollective It will be hard for you to be happy in that environment if you are stage green. You will constantly be shocked at how low conscious somebody can be, and struggle to understand why they are interested in such mundane things as money, success, materialism, etc. 

Maybe time to cut your losses. 

53 minutes ago, Stovo said:

@DieFree I've tried that with my boss, it still doesn't get through ?

I see

Might try escalating the issue one level. More likely to encounter intuitive leaders at higher levels. Someone with good strategic thinking ability will realize how chaos, employee low morale etc will harm the company and by association, their own standing and career prospects. 

Also, saying "I'm concerned what our customers will think" is a good ploy if the company cares about its reputation. 

37 minutes ago, Stovo said:

@Globalcollective It will be hard for you to be happy in that environment if you are stage green. You will constantly be shocked at how low conscious somebody can be, and struggle to understand why they are interested in such mundane things as money, success, materialism, etc. 

Maybe time to cut your losses. 

Yeah I'm looking to move on, feel right too also as I have been there for almost 2 years now and already know my lifes purpose. It's very interesting to see it all take place, I'm just not sure how to handel it. Its almost like u can see the car crash before it happens but no one will belive you 

4 hours ago, Globalcollective said:

Yeah I'm looking to move on, feel right too also as I have been there for almost 2 years now and already know my lifes purpose. It's very interesting to see it all take place, I'm just not sure how to handel it. Its almost like u can see the car crash before it happens but no one will belive you 

Yes exactly! Same as for me. I have resigned, my last day is end of year. If I get a job then great, if not I figure I need some time to work on myself anyway :) Good luck on your search. 

11 hours ago, Stovo said:

Yes exactly! Same as for me. I have resigned, my last day is end of year. If I get a job then great, if not I figure I need some time to work on myself anyway :) Good luck on your search. 

@Stovo Thanks, you too. Are you going to do anything about your manager like say something or just leave quietly and just focus on better things?

On 26/08/2021 at 9:05 AM, Stovo said:

@Globalcollective My manager is the CEO ;)

@Stovo Ah! well it turns out we are having a meeting with the new manager and we can have a space to voice our concerns. I feel it will go over deaf ears but could be interesting to see what he says. Or could be worth just leaving it since I will be leaving anyway 

@Globalcollective

On 25/08/2021 at 11:00 AM, Globalcollective said:

I work at a wellbeing center and when I first started working there it was the epitomy of stage green and everyone who works there is also at stage green. However because of Covid a new manager took it over who is the epitomy of stage orange and of course when the new manger came and changed the values to stage orange it pissed of the green people and now there is a toxic war going on between them. Would it be possible to change the new managers perspective to green or will that have to happen naturally. Its quite comical how a wall street type has started managing a hippy wellbeing center. 

I can't speak to the specific context, but I will point to what's outside the context. The real issue is not to prevent a war between stage orange and green, but not being able to see the situation for what it is - a necessary side effect of the transormational dilemma. In this case, due to the pandemic and the economic, political and societal changes in response to a highly contagious virus with a lethality that surpasses a flu, stores and businesses must undergo a change to adapt to the change in circumstances.

Using ken wilbur's integral theory, we could also say that the new manager just differs not in value, but in how he/she is cognitively compared to the employees. The manager is more knowledgeable and sensitive to preventing Covid cases in the well being centre. The manager may have mild schizophrenia, or type 1 bipolar disorder, or mild OCD, or psychopathy, which generates cognition that does differ from your employees cognition, while the traits might be maladaptive, in context they can be adaptive. He might be germ phobic already, so this situation has made that worse.

Also, the manager might have a different moral system compared to you, might very well be partially at stage green, but does not value humanitarianism, environmentalism and wellfare, animal or human, or have new age or hippy biases or political left leaning biases as you or your colleagues, equally as you all do. If they truly are a solid stage orange, they wouldn't be working there, the difference in values would be too great to reconcile. Well being centres are not typically solid orange individuals work places.

Another factor is state of consciousness. The manager might have done so much managerial work, and value professionalism to a habbit that he could slip into that role and enter auto pilot frim there. Maybe the person is so robotic and in a trance that your state of consciousness and others, picks up on the manager's state, and doesn't feel in alignment. Or a fear of germs is already there, and that negative state is felt around the coworkers.

Another factor is domains of life development, both broadly and technically. Maybe they have deeper skillset of being a manager, or a businessman, or are better at being rational than others. Maybe you are not used to the new managers style and way of managing, and miss the old manager aleady. Maybe you are in a grieving cycle for the old manager. Maybe your personality and new manager's personality mesh differently.

Maybe the manager was a more solid green in the past, but regressed to orange thanks to the changes in the current world and survival challenges. Maybe they had gone through the transformational dilemma from stage blue to orange and are just challenging himself by working in a typical stage green environment.

I can't provide specific advice for your situation in particular, other than self reflect deeply about this, and see if you spot any cognitive dissonance I might have triggered about the manager. The mind likes to generalize and distort information, so it makes it less obvious the suffering it starts and sustains tracks back to itself, with it's faulty viewing. Instead of thinking about this as some war between stage orange to green, it's more part of the process. It's almost silly to think that, kjnda like thinking that steps on a staircase are fighting each other.

There needs to be direct and clear communication between the workers and the manager.

What if you just go and talk with the manager? Literally just explain what you see happening, that there is two different value systems having a battle. Don't mention the hierarchical nature of it. Mention the main differences between Green and Orange.

Do you resonate with Yellow? There is a chance you can create a powerful relationship with the manager. If you explain your perspective in a clear, rational way, he might see the potential in you to help create a bridge between the manager and the workers, creating a more functional workplace. Be like a diplomat.

Everyone is waiting for eternity but the Shaman asks: "how about today?"