Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Endangered-EGO

What's not quanitfiable?

12 posts in this topic

What's not quanitfiable in addition to existence, consciousness, awareness, conentration, mind, which might be unconsciously believed to be quanitfiable.

For example some neurologist believe consciousnes is quantifiable by setting an arbitrary line in neuro-activity, based on memory or lack of memory I guess.

Which is similar to putting an arbitrary line between hot-cold or dark-illuminated.

Any subjectivity is also not quanitfiable. Psychology-scales are just based on the best case and worst case the subject can imagine. So pleasure, love, suffering, pain etc is not quantifiable either.

(I am currently deconstructing my very materialist worldview.)

Thanks for your help.

Ah, I see.

You come from the position that quantifiable is an objective measure.

But quantifiable is still subjectivity.

Simple answer. Nothing is really quantifiable. If you go deep into it, you realize that every single thing that you could ever experience is absolutely inexpressible.

My radiant beauty ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

3 hours ago, impulse9 said:

Simple answer. Nothing is really quantifiable. If you go deep into it, you realize that every single thing that you could ever experience is absolutely inexpressible.

This. 

In Buddhism, it's taught that ALL things lack inherent existence, in other-words anything and everything appearing in the world of form are all completely empty of substance. How this is so is some pretty heavy philosophy not for the faint of heart, but a great book to understand the metaphysics of Absolute Emptiness is "Seeing That Frees" by Rob Burbea (he doesn't use the term "Absolute Emptiness" only "Emptiness"). Long story short, you can deconstruct reality literally into nothing analytically through logic and reason as well as experientially through deep meditation. 

This applies to space, time, self, non-self, other, world, all mind states, all dualities, all forms of intellectualization and understanding, absolutely everything. Even Emptiness. As far as materialism, it should be recognized is that physical reality in your direct experience is built out of a belief and interpretive filter from the mind, and once you recognize physical reality is not any way inherent in the nature of one's direct experiential perceptive field, all that's left is perception. One realizes that physical reality was only a belief super-imposed on top of one's direct experience of perception. And when perception is all that's left, you can start deconstructing perception all the way down into Emptiness, i.e. God.

If this materialism deconstruction feels unavailable, start with studying quantum mechanics seriously. Then take seriously the philosophical implications of what these experiments have observed about the nature of reality. Even if there was a physical substance to reality, the nature of that physical substance is WILDLY different than mainstream understanding in both society and science. The default metaphysical view of 'the way things are' we were programmed with through language, up-bringing, and eduction is radically incorrect.

Radically incorrect both in terms of what quantum mechanics experiments have found, in terms of deep philosophical analysis of one's direct experience, and in terms of what one observes from deep meditation. 

What does this mean? "quanitfiable" 

Edited by Goldzilla

Singer

14™

@Goldzilla It means able to be put in quanta. :P In other words, able to be measured. Able to be formalized. Able to be written down and analyzed. In science all we're really doing is approximating. Best approximation wins.