NightHawkBuzz

How can I stop falling back into the trap of wasting my time playing video games?

19 posts in this topic

When I came to the realization video games were a waste of my time I stopped playing for four years. However, last year I decided I wanted to start streaming on twitch so I started playing again. However, I found myself not just playing video games when I was streaming but also playing meaningless games that had no benefit and that were just a waste of my time. I stopped streaming and playing altogether because I felt like I was wasting to much time playing meaningless games that I wasn't even streaming sometimes. It's been a year since I have stopped playing. However, I am afraid I will fall back into the trap of playing video games again and wasting my precious free time. How can I make sure that I will never fall back into the trap of wasting my time playing?

@NightHawkBuzz you may be attempting to fill a hole; if that is so, what's the hole about? Attend to that.

Edited by Johnny Galt

Why attempt to escape something you are clearly enjoying? 

The trap isn't the games, the trap is the mindset that time could ever be wasted in the first place.

Video games are not bad as everyone portray it to be.but playing games more than 1hou a day is counterproductive.so cut down to 1 hour.i would say it is healthy hobby

1 hour ago, NightHawkBuzz said:

How can I make sure that I will never fall back into the trap of wasting my time playing?

Find something more important and exciting to be doing.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Find healthier habits. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

It all boils down to this question: to what end ?

"Not wasting time" cannot be the goal itself. Discipline is the nature result of knowing where true value is found. So, what is your true heart's desire?

Clean Uninstall all games from your computer/console. 

Delete everything.

I was addicted to League of Legends for a few years... I sunk thousands of hours into that game and I unlocked all champions. Whenever I would Uninstall it I would always end up re-installing it and getting addicted for a few days.

Until one day I played so much that I decided to actually sell my account.

I effectively lost all progress in the game.

Edited by Adam M

I make YouTube videos about Self-Actualization: >> Check it out here <<

10 hours ago, NightHawkBuzz said:

How can I make sure that I will never fall back into the trap of wasting my time playing?

Sell them. Thats how.

Well, it is a matter of what you really like, i play shooter online. 

I've been into video games since the early 90'.

So, if you use them to own benefit it's quite nice. Training the hand eye focus and training the brain. 

If you use them as escape than that is another matter. 

Singer

14™

@Goldzilla damn sir thats owsome

do u still play it now

video game teach a very important thing in life. that life is a video game without respawn and everything can be boiled down to your  skill tree and which level you are at

16 hours ago, asifarahim said:

@Goldzilla damn sir thats owsome

do u still play it now

video game teach a very important thing in life. that life is a video game without respawn and everything can be boiled down to your  skill tree and which level you are at

Yeah, in spare time or when the signal works outgrid. 

Singer

14™

Now the challenge would be to play blindfolded and win ???

Singer

14™

Some games do have merits. Like it increases your reaction time, improve ur knowledge on IT and you do make some friends online too!

@Leo Gura thanks for the advice, will do! Also, I made another post and would really appreciate it if you could respond to that one if you have the time. 

The idea of wasting time on something that you actually enjoy can become toxic. The problem is not the video game, it's your relationship to it. You can't control yourself. It's like an ice cream tub. Once that thing is opened, you can't restrain yourself. Don't focus on abondoning video games, focus on building a healthy balanced relationship to it 

Edited by Jakuchu

Become conscious that this idea of "wasting time" is socially conditioned.

That's not to say you should now spend all your time playing video games.

Rather, just be aware of how it's making you feel while you play them. Awareness is curative.

As you play them, if an impulse arises to do something that you think would make you feel good, or even better, go do that thing. 

If that doesn't work, try mustering up a compelling vision. This should be related to your Life Purpose. Likely what will happen is that the passion that arises from your Life Purpose is so strong that your desire to play video games organically falls away.

Or, perhaps video games is a part of your Life Purpose. Don't limit your possibilities :)