Bob Seeker

I will have 1-2 years to develop a skill full time. Help me choose.

22 posts in this topic

10 months from now I should be able to quit my job and live off my savings for 1-2 years if I play it right.

I want a skill that can make me good money (USD $60k+), preferably remotely.

I hear people talking about python programming.

Is that a reliable way to make good money? 

Can it be learned in 1-2 years? I'm clueless about this stuff.

What skill would you develop? 

All suggestions welcomed.

Edited by Bob Seeker

A Call to Live Differently: https://angeloderosa.com

Something with programming or accounting maybe

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Programming of some kind is probably your best bet. I'd recommend web development, it's pretty easy to learn as far as programming goes (I'm a web developer rn) and can feel somewhat creative which is a nice bonus too. If you have 1-2 years you could build up a pretty nice portfolio which is far more valuable when applying for web dev jobs than say a degree.

You're probably best off picking a single web framework to master, if Python appeals to you then Django is what you'd go with. I'm currently working with PHP using a framework called Symfony which really neat, but generally speaking Laravel is the goto PHP web framework if you want to cast the widest net.

And then of course there are also the frontend skills, which would involve learning JavaScript (again, pick a popular framework like Angular or Vue and stick to it) and CSS/SASS.

Most of this you will learn if you just pick sufficiently complex portfolio projects, decide which frameworks you're going to use, and then see them through to completion.

And finally, don't go for things like code bootcamps, they're generally terrible

It's just so hard to say because it all depends on you, your preferences, and what your natural strengths are. 

I'd suggest something you at least have a little bit of passion and enjoyment in, otherwise you're more likely to quit. 

@something_else @Stovo  Cool. So since I have no experience with programming, I will want to start checking out some of the different options to see which I like most.

Any opinions on a good method for figuring out which language and area to focus on, at least at first?

Edited by Bob Seeker

We really can't tell you what to choose. If you want to develop a skill, it should be what you have passion for. I think it would be nice if you spend some time thinking about what you really want to do. It shouldn't be all about money.

@Bob Seeker I won't be able to advise on that, because it's not a field I know much about, but have you considered blockchain programming skills? You might need to research which languages are useful.

6 minutes ago, Elham said:

We really can't tell you what to choose. If you want to develop a skill, it should be what you have passion for. I think it would be nice if you spend some time thinking about what you really want to do. It shouldn't be all about money.

I see what you are saying, but right now my passion is having at least basic control over my life. ?

@Stovo i will look into blockchain programming, thanks. What makes you mention it though?

@Bob Seeker Blockchain is going to be one of the big disrupters in the next few years, not many people have the skills to programme on blockchains, and demand for programmers will go through the roof. 

My brother was teaching me some programming stuff yesterday,

Go to w3schools.com.  Press the tutorials drop down and it has tons of stuff.

He said python is the easiest one to learn so yeah I suggest starting with that one.

The cool thing about programming is that you can make something that doesn't exist exist... or at least it could lead to that - lots of other jobs are just allowing the stuff that already exists to continue existing.  But I guess also depends on what one is okay with.

Like I've been doing Civil Engineering but the problem is - okay sure I can fix roads but they will just have to be fixed again in 20 years and sure I can fix pipes but they will just have to be fixed again in 50 years and sure I can develop infrastructure in a city but that city may be underwater and no longer habitable.  How is that any different from then just being a janitor and picking up trash when stuff gets dirty? 

Or sure I can be a doctor/nurse/sports coach but my patients will just die in 100 years.  Sure I can design homes but those homes will get torn down or destroyed by mother nature within 2000 years.

It's cool to think of something that will be part of the evolution of life rather than the stagnation of just keeping stuff alive - BUT keeping stuff alive is a pretty significant need too - so either way as you have to keep stuff alive and evolution just happens in a slow way.

So yeah if that sounds cool at all - something related to computer science or mechanical engineering that is revolutionizing stuff.  Or making movies/being a therapist/teacher that changes the way people think which then changes the way their offspring think which then changes the way their offspring think which then keeps on changing stuff.

But sure everything we do regardless of change or not could just get wiped out even if it is 10 million or a trillion years from now or tomorrow or today.

There is actively just keeping stuff the same versus actively trying to change what currently exists.

But to even change stuff, does it matter? Not really.  Could say that keeping stuff the same versus changing stuff - doesn't matter.

So whatever you want to do while you exist in the form you exist as...  We won't stay as we are now forever.

I guess one thing I failed to mention is sure - a sports coach could revolutionize the sport and change the way it is played.  An architect could come up with totally new ways for houses to be built which changes the way future homes could be built.

Yes could find ways to revolutionize anything.  A car mechanic could revolutionize the way cars are fixed.  However - a car designer will be in an easier position to change stuff because it involves redesign whereas a car mechanic may be stuck doing more fixing within the same system that is already there.

Some parts of programming is just debugging the code but other parts will be making up new software.  Maintenance comes with most things.  The debugging could be fun in its own sense.  I admire all the thinking that programming requires.  It can kinda humble you with how challenging and how much thinking and creativity it requires.  Some stuff that is too easy may make the mind not be challenged enough and it may just create its own problems because it doesn't have any - hence people complaining about say politics or their neighbors because they have nothing else to do with their mind.

3 hours ago, Bob Seeker said:

10 months from now I should be able to quit my job and live off my savings for 1-2 years if I play it right.

I want a skill that can make me good money (USD $60k+), preferably remotely.

I hear people talking about python programming.

Is that a reliable way to make good money? 

Can it be learned in 1-2 years? I'm clueless about this stuff.

What skill would you develop? 

All suggestions welcomed.

How do type of coding job do you plan to take?

You can learn coding quicker if you niche down to a particular job. 

26 minutes ago, vindicated erudite said:

How do type of coding job do you plan to take?

You can learn coding quicker if you niche down to a particular job. 

I’m not sure yet. 
that makes sense. I could try to get clear on what role I want to play in coding, then niche down. Then tailor a portfolio to a specific job type.

@mw711 ive taken the course. I want to be a teacher/messenger, but no one will pay me for the things I want to teach at this point. I’m better off loosening the grip of wage slavery and gaining more life experience and free time to transition.

Learn javascript/typescript and pick a framework

7 hours ago, Bob Seeker said:

@mw711 ive taken the course. I want to be a teacher/messenger, but no one will pay me for the things I want to teach at this point. I’m better off loosening the grip of wage slavery and gaining more life experience and free time to transition.