Enlightenment

Important information and tip for people who want to lose weight

24 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Charlotte said:

Although I think that the obesity epidemic is much much more complex and multi faceted than what you say. 

When I say that simple, I mean the fundamentals of it. As compared to living is as simple as just breathing, shitting, and eating! It's obviously much more complex than that O.o

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

but the problem of obesity goes beyond lack of self-restriction. Obesity is a socio-economic problem. It often stems from lack of education, lack of financial resources, being born and raised in a family with poor eating habits and low levels of personal development over generations. Not to mention rising cost of education, fresh produce, housing etc. Basiclaly things that would pull these people out of the rut are becoming more and more unaffordable for them.

Yea I completely agree, it just depends on which perspective we want to look at obesity, and here it gets into philosophy. Its kind of like a physicalist say human is just a bunch of atoms - well, from one perspective it's true however we all know humans can be understood at many different levels and there is much more to them than just atoms

Holistic vs reductionistic understanding. 

"If you would have the right genes, you would be completely immune to obesity, so it's genes that cause obesity"

This statement is true in a reductionistic sense. But of course, it's a very limited understanding of obesity.

My subjective take on obesity:

For the majority of people in the middle of the normal distribution, obesity is caused by: dietary protein deficiency (often severe); an environment in which very tasty food is easily available; not enough physical activity during a day; alcohol which adds a lot of aditional empty calories

For the people at the far end of the normal distribution (people from "My 600-lb life"): It's mostly due to their very bad genetics and bad prenatal envirement. "everybody can be lean, but not everybody can be lean and not be miserable" applies to them and I think some small percentage of people should accept being just overweight, not morbidly obese category but overweight.

Edited by Enlightenment

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

38 minutes ago, Enlightenment said:

For the majority of people in the middle of the normal distribution, obesity is caused by: dietary protein deficiency

Probably not in the west thou, most people actually eat way too much protein in US & Europe. But I agree that where protein is deficient and a lot of calories are derived from refined carbohydrates, obesity can become an issue. Protein intake does not protect from obesity thou as some of the key protein sources in the western diet are also largely obesogenic such as burgers, fried meats and processed animal products

an environment in which very tasty food is easily available; not enough physical activity during a day; alcohol which adds a lot of aditional empty calories

yes to all

For the people at the far end of the normal distribution (people from "My 600-lb life"): It's mostly due to their very bad genetics and bad prenatal envirement

Genes can predispose one to have larger stores of adipose tissue and maybe having poorer insulin sensitivity and some other endocrine factors but it comes down to a whole scale of other external factors such as some of those you already mentioned but mostly financial situation, social situation, education level and upbringing (e.g. if parents eat bacon and eggs for breakfast every day, so will the kids)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk