Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Raptorsin7

Adyashanti Claims Irreversible Effects From Psychedelic's

81 posts in this topic

Just another dharma teacher with countless students with 0 direct experience of what he's actually talking about claiming that psychidelics can cause irreparable negative effects on a person.

I was never a big fan of his teaching style but this is just pathetic imo.

Edited by Raptorsin7

17 minutes ago, Raptorsin7 said:

claiming that psychedelics can cause irreparable negative effects on a person.

Well he isn't entirely wrong about that. But yeah, he should've just said "I don't know, I have no experience with them"

I am almost certain he does have experience with them. I believe he used them after enlightenment though. He’s one of my favorite teachers by far. I’d take was he has to say seriously. This work can be dangerous — not news to anyone.

@Tim R If he honestly believes that a person who was once open to the dharma can be permanently taken off course by psychs then I question that strongly.

His entire comment reeks of bias and prejudice. 

There are also countless people who watch this fools videos and make no progress because the guy's a joke

@Raptorsin7 He has a book called the end of your world and it’s one of the most revealing exposé’s on enlightenment. He certainly ain’t a fraud.

@The0Self I don't think he's a fraud, I just think he's not smart and I wish we had better quality dharma teachers than fools like this guy.

I've watched a decent amount of him, he makes claims that directly contradict my experience with psychs so i know first hand he has gaps in his world view.

I agree with Adyashanti with this one.  He isn't claiming that the use of psychedelics can't facilitate a deep spiritual experience.  Just that for many people taking these substances, they just aren't ready for the experience. 

I can only speak for myself.  The first time I took psychedelics I was 51 years old and had done a shit ton of spiritual work.  If I had the same experiences when I was in my 20's I can honestly say that I was no where near ready to deal with what they can reveal.  It probably would have messed me up.  I had to wait until I was spiritually mature enough, grounded enough and understood life enough to go there.  I would perhaps disagree with Adyashanti in the fact that psychedelics CAN facilitate deep spiritual insights that can be VERY meaningful and positive.  But only if the person is ready to receive the teachings.  Based on what I see in my own life, most people just aren't there and hence the warning.  Life is NOT about just eliminating the ego, but living your life with a healthy relationship with the ego.  Immature people will get lost losing their ego once the drug wears off.  It can create major issues.

@Raptorsin7 He has taken shrooms. He talked about it with sam Harris (on sams podcast) and just said:"I don't know if it's useful, I prefered the grounded experience"

Also you don't need to take any to see how things can go south.

A friend of mine dated a girl who claimed she was very spiritual and saw things only she could see. She talked about demonic entities trying to trick her, other people being possessed by demons or "by God".

Even though she only took lsd once, she developed paranoid schizophrenia.

Dont underestimate the risks. 

It might be worth it for most people, but some non-negligent amount of people are going to have a really really bad time.

57 minutes ago, Raptorsin7 said:

Just another dharma teacher with countless students with 0 direct experience of what he's actually talking about claiming that psychidelics can cause irreparable negative effects on a person.

I was never a big fan of his teaching style but this is just pathetic imo.

Is he wrong saying that psychodelics may cause irreparable negative effects on a person? 

Its pretty easy to understand his concerns imo. 

Edited by undeather

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

In the past shortly after coming down off a trip. Once with nn dmt and once with lsd, I was in a state where I thought My mind had been permanently damaged. In a way, close to the experience of having seen something hellish that I just couldn’t un-see. This turned out to be a false assumption. In fact, the turnaround that this wasn’t so was probably at the core of a deep felt experience of insight/healing.

It’s one reason I strongly urge others not to make any big life decisions within 3 or 4 days of coming down off a trip because the horror can sometimes strangely morph into something deeply healing.

If one gets completely locked down in fear after a trip and makes sweeping assertions to others about it, I see this as possibly a way of keeping a transformational healing at bay. I know as well the power of fear because it has dominated my experience more than once. It can be extremely tough to deal with.
I felt the need to relate this because of it’s similarity with the topic here.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

@Zigzag Idiot Thanks for your contribution.

I've also felt deep healing on the back of severe nausea and sickness from psychidelics.

Had I not gone through the nausea, I could have came back and claimed psychidelics caused me severe nausea, and maybe I'd claim I still have slight head aches/nausea from my psych use

10 minutes ago, Raptorsin7 said:

@undeather Did you know spiritual seeking can cause irreparable negative effects on a person?

Exactly, there is your answer.

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

14 minutes ago, Raptorsin7 said:

@Endangered-EGO Yeah I bet that girl's mental health was impeccable before she ever touched shrooms

@Raptorsin7 No it wasn't. But do you think that most serious spiritual seekers mind is impeccable before taking psychedelics?

I can't say it enough: if you have psychotic delusions or are on the schizophrenia spectrum, you don't know you have it unless it's really really bad. 

They think they have a strong spiritual sense. And honestly we can't blame them.

2 minutes ago, Windappreciator said:

@undeather Why an MRI scan?

Created this account 5 yeras ago - was a medical student back then and fascinated by the brain.
I am a licensed MD nowadays, I dont really care about what pictures there is below my name, so why not keep it :)

- Rainer Maria Rilke