Epikur

Researchers find IQ scores dropping since the 1970s

20 posts in this topic

Haha no surprise there. 

I lost a Ton of brain cells after being born. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Epikur I imagine the biggest factors would be our "food", "medicine", and "education". All of it, like our spirituality, is the antithesis of what those words once meant.

1 hour ago, Alex M said:

What is the purpose of an IQ test?

To evaluate if your thinking patterns FIT into the system.

2 hours ago, Alex M said:

What is the purpose of an IQ test?

To contain stupidity

that applies to the level of testosterone too. there's a significant drop in that hormone in a few decades. 

"If you kick me when I'm down, you better pray I don't get up"

Well, that does help explain why half the country is so stupid these days.

Don't worry, Covid will help correct the numbers :P

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I just saw Leo in my dreams.  Leo was writing thank you notes in the dream. Not even joking.

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

2 hours ago, Opo said:

Danke for the link, was skeptical in the beginning of the sources in the post. There seems to be very contrasting almost mutually exclusive claims forwarded by various people when it comes to this topic. 

Read a part of it will make sure to read it whole. 

"Keep your eye on the ball. " - Michael Brooks 

An analysis of some 730,000 IQ test results by researchers from the Ragnar Frisch Centre for Economic Research in Norway reveals the Flynn effect hit its peak for people born during the mid-1970s, and has significantly declined ever since.

"This is the most convincing evidence yet of a reversal of the Flynn effect," psychologist Stuart Ritchie from the University of Edinburgh, who was not involved in the study, told The Times.

"If you assume their model is correct, the results are impressive, and pretty worrying."

The researchers sourced their data from the IQ test scores of 18- to 19-year-old Norwegian men who took the tests as part of their national, compulsory military service.

Between the years 1970 to 2009, three decades of these young men (born between 1962 to 1991) were conscripted, resulting in over 730,000 IQ test results.

What the results show is that a turning point for the Flynn effect occurred for the post-1975 birth cohorts, equivalent to 7 fewer IQ score points per generation.

It's not the first time we've seen this kind of dip. Research by Flynn himself that looked at the IQs of British teenagers almost a decade ago observed a similar fall in test scores.

https://www.sciencealert.com/iq-scores-falling-in-worrying-reversal-20th-century-intelligence-boom-flynn-effect-intelligence

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/4548943/British-teenagers-have-lower-IQs-than-their-counterparts-did-30-years-ago.html

Makes sense with the rampant social media instagram tik tok world we now live in. Apathy is on the rise. 

Saying that we have access to more information and education now with the internet. 

1 hour ago, Micca said:

Makes sense with the rampant social media instagram tik tok world we now live in. Apathy is on the rise. 

Saying that we have access to more information and education now with the internet. 

It might be also the ROI. You might get less back than in the past for your effort. 

In the study it was said it was not possible to create a good environment for teenagers. For children in worked better.

Edited by Epikur

It might be due to a decline in executive functioning rather than IQ per se, caused by things like the advent of TV entertainment and later social media. Executive functioning (EF) describes the ability to organize cognitive tasks, and increasingly sophisticated media technology outsources the tasks of the EF so all you have to do is to sit back and consume highly organized stimuli. The ultimate form of this is the format provided by the likes of TikTok, Instagram videos and YouTube Shorts (and some aspects of Twitter and Facebook).

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.