electroBeam

heavy metal toxicity of canned foods?

8 posts in this topic

What's the consensus about heavy metal toxicity and canned foods. There's clearly some research showing that canned foods are significantly toxic: https://www.healthline.com/health-news/consumer-group-says-canned-foods-still-contain-dangerous-chemical

what I want to know more about though is are all cans bad equal? Is every can from every company bad for you? Or just some companies?

I wanna know how toxic it would be for me to live off these: https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/700642?googleshop=true&store_code=woolworths_supermarkets_1351&cq_src=GOOGLE&cq_cmp=Woolies_8458_BAU_Shopping_LIA_F%26B Fresh_WW-0001&cq_con=Pantry&cq_term=PRODUCT_GROUP&cq_net=g&cq_plt=gp&cq_med=71700000084970415&cq_gclid=Cj0KCQjwpf2IBhDkARIsAGVo0D3PR1Su63rxqoiB1_eEvuK1ndXuFf_RTKEPBGGOqgXij9vbAi9Td0UaAp7bEALw_wcB&cmpid=smsm:ds:GOOGLE:Woolies_8458_BAU_Shopping_LIA_F%26B Fresh_WW-0001:PRODUCT_GROUP&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpf2IBhDkARIsAGVo0D3PR1Su63rxqoiB1_eEvuK1ndXuFf_RTKEPBGGOqgXij9vbAi9Td0UaAp7bEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

and these: https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/663584?googleshop=true&store_code=woolworths_supermarkets_1107&cq_src=GOOGLE&cq_cmp=Woolies_8458_BAU_Shopping_LIA_F%26B Everything Else_WW-0001&cq_con=Food %26 Beverages&cq_term=PRODUCT_GROUP&cq_net=g&cq_plt=gp&cq_med=71700000072477841&cq_gclid=Cj0KCQjwpf2IBhDkARIsAGVo0D3-Yu1BJSumttTzqh31XY9wiNUoxxea9JZLrNJmmvKD-Hd92sSUZv0aAidCEALw_wcB&cmpid=smsm:ds:GOOGLE:Woolies_8458_BAU_Shopping_LIA_F%26B Everything Else_WW-0001:PRODUCT_GROUP&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpf2IBhDkARIsAGVo0D3-Yu1BJSumttTzqh31XY9wiNUoxxea9JZLrNJmmvKD-Hd92sSUZv0aAidCEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

They are extremely cheap for healthy, organic food. Much cheaper then off the shelf organic vegetables and even cheaper then off the shelf non organic vegetables.

However im worried about the toxicity because they are in cans. Man would be best of both worlds if you could get cheap, organic food, but maybe its too good to be true.

If it's very cheap then you know they are cutting corners. You are getting the shittiest organic tomatoes on the planet in that can.

I would avoid anything canned which is readily available fresh or bagged.

Only get cans for food that can't be bought otherwise, like anchovies or coconut milk.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@electroBeam If you have access to land could try growing your own... (which will also demonstrate how actually organic produce is quite well priced generally.. ^_^).  I know it's still expensive when you add everything up but fresh is better.

Edited by puporing

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

BPAs & phtalates are a problem with cans that are not labeled BPA free. In terms of leeching aluminium, that's mostly issue in the ones with tomato sauces like Heinz beans because the sauce is cooked AFTER the cans are sealed so all those acidic tomatoes may be reacting with the alkaline aluminium can unless there is an isolation layer. 

But yes, it is a concern. Get your tomato sauce in glass bottles and cook your beans from dry :)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

My thoughts are yes to the beans if you rinse them well before eating, NO to the tomatoes, because of the plastic lining and the fact that tomatoes are so acidic that they really shouldn't be in anything other than glass. 

Of course my mom always used to say "everything in moderation" all the time when it came to food but oh no, I had to do hours and hours of reading and podcast listening over the course of years. Turns out, she was right. Everything in moderation. 

Your best value is frozen vegetables for maintaining nutrients and being cost effective. Personally I would mix fresh, frozen and then canned only for when I'm really busy. Truly fresh food has a vibrational, reviving energetic kick to it, if you're sensitive to it. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

They're specifically designed to leach as many chemicals to the food as possible.

22 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Get your tomato sauce in glass bottles and cook your beans from dry :)

*thumbs up*

21 hours ago, mandyjw said:

Your best value is frozen vegetables for maintaining nutrients and being cost effective.

You fricken genius

21 hours ago, mandyjw said:

Truly fresh food has a vibrational, reviving energetic kick to it, if you're sensitive to it. 

I'm only sensitive to shit food and insults.

On 8/20/2021 at 9:32 PM, Leo Gura said:

If it's very cheap then you know they are cutting corners. You are getting the shittiest organic tomatoes on the planet in that can.

I would avoid anything canned which is readily available fresh or bagged.

Only get cans for food that can't be bought otherwise, like anchovies or coconut milk.

This is not true for tomatoes, but true for pretty much everything else you get in a can. You can get get high quality tomatoes from a can if you choose the right brand, like San Marzano. Canned tomatoes also contain more glutamic acid, the umami taste. Store bought fresh tomatoes are picked before they're ripe, so they don't get the benefit of extra sun and nutrients, resulting in a tomato with inferior flavor. These tomatoes are also breaded for commercial reasons like shelf-life and disease resistance, further screwing up their flavor. Canned tomatoes however can be picked and stored when fully ripe, and aren't required to be bred for shelf-life. For quality fresh tomatoes, you'd have to go to the farmer's market during the few months tomatoes are in season, or grow them yourself. There's a stark difference in flavor between those and supermarket tomatoes. When buying canned tomatoes, always go for whole peeled tomatoes, not the diced ones, since those generally contain calcium chloride that prevents the tomatoes from turning into mush, and it makes them unable to break down properly when cooking. There are dishes where canned tomatoes won't work because of they require the texture of fresh tomatoes, like salsas or bruschetta, so in those cases you'd just have to just go with fresh.

I have some concerns about canned tomatoes though, but not because of the quality of the tomato itself. Tomatoes are highly acidic, and that acid breaks down the plastic chemical lining inside the can, mixing plastic and BPA into your tomatoes. Glass containers would be preferable, but afaik the high quality canned tomatoes are all in cans.