A way to Actualize

All Personal Questions For Leo

979 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2018 at 5:09 AM, Extreme Z7 said:

@Leo Gura Have you ever fantasized (or at least thought about) what it would be like if your work and teachings became part of (or at least mentioned in) future academic curriculum.

Not too much.

It will naturally happen within the next few centuries as society evolves. All this information will become freely available to all human beings, ultimately.

But not in this lifetime. I have little interest in waging a war inside of academia. That is a painful bureaucratic game. Although someone will eventually have to fight it. But that is not my life purpose.

On 3/1/2018 at 7:49 AM, John Lula said:

@Leo Gura 

1. Your teeth, how do you keep them so shiny and nice? Is it rigorous practice there too?:D

2. How many books do you read (on average) a month?

3. Do you plan on continuing meditating an hour a day in the far future, or do you plan on doing it for longer (or less)?

1) Camera makes it look that way

2) These days, very few. I'm sort of outgrowing books. Most of my time is going into spiritual practices instead. It's very hard to find a book these days which doesn't seem like delusion, trivia, or something I already know.

3) Most days I meditate for more than an hour. I try to do at least 2 hours (if you include yoga and various other techniques I do).

On 3/1/2018 at 11:34 PM, Key Elements said:

Yes, that's right Leo; nothing is necessary. It's all up to you and what you feel is right.

However, I noticed something. It's the reason why I brought up this question. The sages/saints/gurus/monks/etc who became entrepreneurs and then finally philanthropists and beyond seem to be much more independent and less needy. I have seen a monk (and heard of monks) who did not go through this this phase, and they were not independent. When it came time to go to the hospital for something serious (like a heart attack), they had to depend on their followers raising money for them. The monk I knew didn't go to a very good hospital.

Connections (during any networking) to well-qualified & trustworthy ppl are also important for a life of abundance. It's for your advantage as a sage (or whatever you become). It's not just about money and capitalism.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in one of your enlightenment clips, you recommended the "middle path." You mentioned this. To me, the "middle path" means, if the person doesn't skip any stages, there is less suffering and more opportunities to help others. Unless, of course, you could tolerate the suffering. (Eg. Someone you mentioned in one of your enlightenment clip, who is enlightened, going to the dentist, dentist gave him a root canal and he refused to use novicane. Dentist thought he was trying to be macho. :))

-If you have any more thoughts on the "middle path," please let us know.

-That’s why I thought you also wanted to become a sage/philanthropist. It's because you didn't want to skip it. It's an important stage to go through after becoming entrepreneur. Also, because of this clip:

(Basically, what I'm saying here is, if you skip stages in life, and/or not learn the lessons presented to you in life, you may have to endure a lot of suffering. Unless, you are able to say, "I am the pain!" Because you don't let your earthly/fictional ego bother you. You may even rid yourself of karma if you become a philanthropist along the way.)

I'm not sure why you're making philanthropy a stage. It's no more a stage than being a cowboy is stage.

There's nothing wrong with philanthropy, and I'm sure it could grow you in many ways, but it is in no way necessary.

If you are attracted to philanthropy, then it's probably part of your Life Purpose, in which case, knock yourself out.

For me, the influence I already have is enough. If anything, I spend too much of my time helping people. The next stage for me would be to go totally solo, yogi-in-a-cave-style.

On 3/2/2018 at 6:57 AM, Sev said:

If you would find yourself deeply clinically depressed and you'd have that same knowledge that you currently have. What would be your strategy out from it?

• First, create a hopeful vision for my life
  • Totally clean up my diet
  • Exercise
  • Bloodwork to make sure there aren't any chemical/vitamin/hormone problems
  • Get a qEEG and schedule neurofeedback brain training
  • Holotrophic breathwork
  • Psychedelics
  • Kriya yoga
  • Nathaniel Branden's self-esteem exercises
  • Reading lots of self-help books and implementing the various exercises given there
  • Finding my Life Purpose and aligning myself with it
  • Solo meditation retreats
On 3/3/2018 at 10:58 AM, Pernani said:

@Leo Gura I'm sorry to hear that about your cat leo, one more question: what's the longest you could do strong sitting meditation?

I don't practice that technique much. About an hour.

On 3/3/2018 at 0:49 PM, danilofaria said:

@Leo Gura Could you give me an answer to the question I posted on the topic below? Thanks

That's a complicated question to answer. People can use those terms differently.

Psyche is basically your entire mind. The ego. The self-mind. All of your thoughts and emotions and how they manipulate you into action.

Consciousness and awareness are largely synonymous. Although some teachers will use those words in a more technical manner and draw fine distinctions.

Consciousness/awareness is the only thing that exists. It is the substance of everything you've ever experienced. Replace your notion of "matter/energy/physics" with consciousness.

On 3/3/2018 at 9:15 PM, Gabriel Antonio said:

How important it was to your self-development journey the fact that you lived most of your first infancy in a place like Russia and experience -- I suppose -- a culture shock when you went to the US? How did that experience grow you?

Yes, it was a culture shock. It was challenging and definitely forged my psyche and persona in deep ways.

Perhaps the most important thing it did was make me much more openminded. I saw the relativity of all cultural norms quite quickly as a result. Although I still didn't go far enough into realizing that physical reality is itself a cultural invention.

Those are other questions are less important:

Do you have a fetiche for touristy places? Las Vegas, Hawaii…

No

Hilo Hawaii isn't touristy. Just the opposite.

Why is your name in red? I mean, I am not against that, but if you take into account the reasons why you took out the liking system, then I see no reason why your name is specifically in red, after all, isn't that a way to differentiate you, which can be food for the ego? 

It's important to know who the Admin and Mods are.

On 3/4/2018 at 11:15 AM, Dan Arnautu said:

@Leo Gura Would you be willing to share what gear you use to record videos (as in the microphone you use, camera, lights etc.)? The quality of your videos is just insane right now. The image is so crisp, the color is perfect, and the audio as well.

Sorry, trade secret ;)

On 3/5/2018 at 0:30 PM, perlita said:

@Leo Gura Hi Leo, just curious if you found a way to deal with your sluggish thyroid. I have the same issue and have always been curious about the root cause - it's an autoimmune disease which pretty much means you are attacking your own body. I wonder if it has anything to do with self body image etc. Any thoughts? 

I have tried LOTS of stuff with little success.

I think my issue ultimately boils down to a blocked chakra, which I will work to clear using various techniques. I think the issue should resolve itself with full enlightenment.

I will shoot a video in the future about how to deal with chronic fatigue and thyroid issues. There's a lot to say. It's a very complex topic with many variables to consider. It's highly individualized. Autoimmune issues have many factors. One solution does not cure everyone.

On 3/5/2018 at 5:56 PM, kieranperez said:

What do you think is your most overlooked episode that people are missing?

Maybe this one:

https://www.actualized.org/articles/increase-your-results-from-self-help-products-by-10x

It's an old one, but the info there is life-changing if implemented.

On 3/6/2018 at 0:37 AM, Bane said:

So... Language shapes our thinking, and our thinking shapes our reality (to some extent at least).

1. What about constructing your own "non-dual" language which would be free from misleading constructions such as "I give YOU" (to more like "there is a happenning of giveng" or smth like that)?
  2. Haven't you been interested in already existing constructed "philosophical" languages such as Lojban or Ithkuil?

It's actually impossible to construct a nondual language because all language is symoblic, and therefore indirect, and therefore dualistic.

There is no language at the level of nonduality.

No, I'm not interested in language. I am interested in escaping language. All language is a human invention and not fundamental.

23 hours ago, WaterfallMachine said:

Leo, I've been following your blog for nearly a year. I've read many of the paradigm shattering books in your list and experienced certain . . . unbelievable things first hand. I'm sure I'll commit, but I could use a faster way to get through it.

All this just makes me feel crazy. I've been doing self inquiry for nearly a year and it's gotten a lot better than before. But it's still there. I can't stand the thought that I could lose credibility. I can't stand the thought of being insane. I can't stand the thought of having to hide certain things sometimes.

What can I do?

Faster? Sounds like you're already going fast.

You've only seem the tip of the iceberg of crazy ;) It's gonna get worse before it gets better, so buckle up and set proper expectations and have a long time horizon.

All your fears -- all the stuff you can't stand, all your worse nightmares -- you must eventually face on this path. There is no way around it. You must face death itself. You must be willing to surrender EVERYTHING!

Ultimately you will discover that all fear is just a hollow illusion. Your very death is just a sham. Your life is nothing but a dream, and all your problems are dream-problems, like the problems of a character in a cartoon.

19 hours ago, Dinesh Karki said:

@Leo Gura What do you think about Eben pagan?

He's a great teacher.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Hi Leo, I'm sure these have already been asked, but:

1. What is your IQ?

2. Do you enjoy singing or playing any musical instruments? 

"You will soon be going about like the converted, and the revivalist, warning people against all the sins of which you have grown tired."- Oscar Wilde

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I'm not sure why you're making philanthropy a stage. It's no more a stage than being a cowboy is stage.

For me, the influence I already have is enough. If anything, I spend too much of my time helping people. The next stage for me would be to go totally solo, yogi-in-a-cave-style.

I know you had great influence on us in different areas. We appreciate that. That itself is philanthropy.

However, what is a person to do after he/she becomes a full fledged entrepreneur through the life purpose and parked the money in real estate? Philanthropist. :) It's good to know this because ppl do become "slugs" if they don't.  I got that term "slug" from your motivational video. I know you heard of the term "spoiled rich kids." That's what happens to someone if they don't know the next stage in life. Non-duality is only at the tippy-top of Maslow's. That map is correct. Not everyone is ready for the tippy-top. Non-duality / enlightenment / riding the ox backwards only comes in a flash. Then, it's back to work on earth.

Life is a school, Leo. You said that in your blog somewhere. You can experience life being a school as a spiritual experience. You got to graduate from this school properly otherwise you may have to repeat it. Duality is non-duality. Things in duality count heavily. Much work is needed here on earth to reduce suffering. Imagine being a philanthropist of some kind and you live in an area where the laws are unjust. You could gather a team of lawyer/philanthropists and sue the gov. Did you know England got rid of slavery that way? By just a change of law? Interesting story. They didn't have to sacrifice lives for a civil war. 

Why do you want to be a cave style yogi, Leo? 

How much "new age" stuff have you tried? I mean stuff like acupuncture, healers and astrology. If yes, has it worked?

How long did it take for actualized.org to generate enough money to live off ? And if this whole self-improvement business didn't take off what was your plan B ? 

What is your preferred dosage of LSD for consciousness work?

Edited by Sup

How has doing a lot of consciousness work changed your sexuality? Would you consider yourself straight? Would you be open to have sex with a guy?

On 27/2/2018 at 1:43 AM, Leo Gura said:

I watch videos on Youtube. I sometimes watch documentaries. I follow the news. I chat or sext with my girlfriend. I drive around town late at night. I take roadtrips.

Hey! I just remembered you promised a long long time ago a video on quality sexting!! Is that ever gonna happen?

haha it'd be weird seeing it on your channel given the type of content you're delivering lately, but I'd watch it!! xD

"Es gibt die Wahrheit, mein Lieber! Aber die ,Lehre', die du begehrst [...], die gibt es nicht. Du sollst dich auch gar nicht nach einer vollkommenen Lehre sehnen, Freund, sondern nach Vervollkommnung deiner selbst."

- Herman Hesse, Das Glasperlenspiel

Are you still doing visualization? And have your idea's about this topic changed over the years?

On 11/03/2018 at 11:01 PM, onacloudynight said:

How has doing a lot of consciousness work changed your sexuality? Would you consider yourself straight? Would you be open to have sex with a guy?

Are you interested in him? xD

Do you consider college/university necessary for someone who is 18 years old? I feel an urge to go out there and do my own thing, but i’m afraid i might be wasting the opportunity of going to college and learning more. Also it sorta supplies me with a saftey net. However, I have always been a self-education type of person.

Hey @Leo Gura what would say is a good strategy for reconciling contradictions? Specifically; having a life's purpose vs knowing that life is meaningless?

isn't there better tools than direct experience for truth?

for example, some people have direct experience that the earth is flat (if you don't know it just search flat earth on youtube)

they even try to say things in science is wrong just to make it *work* like saying gravity doesn't exist

they say that you just have to look at the earth when you are standing on it to see it is flat and that you can't see any curve and that what they experience etc.

however if you ask an astronaut he or she would say that the earth is a sphere as that what they had a direct experience from space 

they both had a direct experience but got a different result but there are actually tools I think in geometry that you can test out here on earth to see that is a sphere and not flat doesn't that mean that you need more complicated tools than direct experience as you could miss out on a lot of details and maybe even be entirely wrong? 

Do you plan to shoot a video solely about creativity soon? 

If you couldn't pursue both and had to choose one pursuit over the other, would you rather pursue your Life Purpose and succeed to the degree where it actually changes the world completely or would you pursue Truth?

In what way can you distinguish between someone who is mentally ill vs someone who is going through the spiritual purification process?

You have said in at least two episodes that in order for you to be recording at that time, you had to force yourself to do it, that is, you applied the "going through the motion" technique, in order to make yourself do it. How often do you feel that? That is, do you have battle with laziness on a consistent basis, or are your days becoming more and more effortless? (like you mentioned in the 10 things you don't know you want episode)

Thank you. 

What do you think mental illness actually is? Would you ever consider doing a video on it?