Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
electroBeam

Best Systems, Techniques and practices for enhanced concentration

6 posts in this topic

The biggest challenges I have with concentration is, whenever i try and practice it, or get good at it, it feels disruptive, like its disrupting the flow of consciousness. Such disruptions are just not sustainable over a long period of time. The disruptions will eventually build up and put off your focus.

I have also tried to just push through the disruptions, but unfortunately my brain is a bit right brainy, and works a hell of a lot better with systems that "go with the flow", "work with instead of against", more loving and compassionate in nature. It likes and works a lot better with holism rather than specialized pushing throughness.

I need help getting more in touch with building awareness around how attention flows to different subjects of interest, and how to control it or influence it in a more loving sort of way. The end goal here is having the relevant training to influence to a certain degree, with master, of guiding or influencing awareness so that it focuses on things which bring me a high level of resonance, rather than focusing on a number of things, where a big chunk of those don't bring much resonance.

I've tried do nothing and mindfulness meditation, and those tools are great, and I've done a heap of that, but those tools focus on alternative goals. I'm looking for systems and teachings which focus specifically on making concentration razor sharp, without the practice needing to be necessarily horrible.

Why don’t you just try concentrating on things which you enjoy? 

The most successful in any discipline operate far more on obsession and desire rather than against it. 

Edited by BipolarGrowth

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

Beautiful challenge.

I would say that the ability to concentrate, and to a greater extent, the ability to be disciplined is not different from knowing where true value is.

In other words, you must determine either rationally what your priority (or priorities) is and then feel very good, blissful, loving about this new priority.

Or you could start by determining your priority emotionally and then find rational reasons that justify this, which is the route I would prefer but it's up to you.

Then when you have found this new excitement, this new vision, don't try to be disciplined about it in a conventional way. Rather, concentrate your efforts on being constantly inspired by it, constantly reminded by how amazing this vision is, etc.

Naturally, your actions will align. Naturally things that are not in the best interests of this vision will start to appear as a waste of time and energy.

So to sum it up: see where true value lies and concentrate on the vision, spontaneously actions will align, energy and time will be found.

Shinzen Young’s See Hear Feel technique is really unique when it comes to how he presents concentration. 

Long story short, concentration =\= attention stability, however attention stability can be a feature of concentration.

The beauty of noting meditation is one can get into a state of shamatha without stabilizing attention on a single object. Instead, momentary concentration doesn't disrupt the natural rhythms and flow of attention, or activity of mind but still facilitates the benefits of mindfulness. We learn to ride the wave of this field of flux rather manipulating it. 

Id also highly highly highly recommend Rob Burbea’s jhana retreat. There are certainly benefits to attention stability such as deep jhana work. 

Edited by Consilience

thanks other posters

12 minutes ago, Consilience said:

Shinzen Young’s See Hear Feel technique is really unique when it comes to how he presents concentration. 

Long story short, concentration =\= attention stability, however attention stability can be a feature of concentration.

The beauty of noting meditation is one can get into a state of shamatha without stabilizing attention on a single object. Instead, momentary concentration doesn't disrupt the natural rhythms and flow of attention, or activity of mind but still facilitates the benefits of mindfulness. We learn to ride the wave of this field of flux rather manipulating it. 

Id also highly highly highly recommend Rob Burbea’s jhana retreat. There are certainly benefits to attention stability such as deep jhana work. 

excellent, awesome stuff, especially the concentration isn't directly attention stability.

What's the difference between watching content about Rob Burbeas jhana retreat and actually going there and doing a real retreat. If you've been to one. How valuable is it compared simply to content, what can you get out of going to an actual retreat of his that you just can't emulate at home?

50 minutes ago, electroBeam said:

What's the difference between watching content about Rob Burbeas jhana retreat and actually going there and doing a real retreat. If you've been to one. How valuable is it compared simply to content, what can you get out of going to an actual retreat of his that you just can't emulate at home?

He passed away so online retreat is all we’ve got. Everything I learned about accessing all 8 main jhana’s came from his recorded lectures on Dharma Seed. Typing in “Rob Burbea Jhana retreat” and you’ll find the list of recordings.

There’s probably a depth to jhana work impossible to emulate without going on a retreat, building the day by day momentum, and working with a teacher, but these recordings are the only resources Ive found that are clear and powerful. Everything Ive learned about jhanas has been in a home setting and Ive been able to access all 8. There are many layers, subtleties, and forms of each jhana… getting a first glimpse is the critical step though, the rest tends to naturally unfold with increasingly less effort… we learn how to surrender into them. 

Id treat the recordings like a meditation course, each is about as long as a Leo video, some a little shorter. 

Good luck dude ??