Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LordFall

How do you guys organize your reading habit?

4 posts in this topic

I'm assuming a lot(if not most) of people here either have a reading habit or are trying to build one. My biggest issue with it is I'm so ADHD with knowledge that I'll hear about a book, go buy it, read 50 pages of it, think it's the best book ever and never touch it again and repeat the cycle all over.

I find the feeling of finishing a whole book and being able to keep track of how many you've read so satisfying but I so rarely get through a whole one before getting bored/ distracted. 

How do you guys deal with this? 

Kyle Fall - Lifestyle Photographer

Follow me & Watch my Content on Instagram

<3

You're not alone my friend. I'm also scattered with knowledge, one day I'm interested in one thing, the other day in something else. I noticed that when there are exercises to do, that's the most likely point at which I start looking elsewhere, because I think to myself that I want to be fresh or in the mood to tackle the exercise.

On one hand I allow myself to follow my interests and read various books simultaneously, especially if I'm reading one fiction book and other non-fiction ones. I also accepted the fact that I don't have to finish a book if it's not that helpful to me at the stage I'm at. But I know it doesn't feel right to leave it open-ended.

On the other hand, it's clear that some discipline is required to get the benefits. Now, I won't allow myself to buy a book until I finish one. I keep the ones I want to buy in my Amazon wish list. Also, I try to read every day, doesn't matter how many pages, and I do it in the same part of the day (after dinner). 

In a deeper sense, it could be that our habit of constantly switching tasks during the day (you know, checking the phone, internet, etc.) then translates into other domains like these.

I will read and finish almost any books I start. Except for around 10% of the books which are not suitable or I find them boring.

I will take notes while reading. After finishing the book, normally I will read at least 3 other summaries/book reviews by others. Then I will write my own summaries and book review. 

I no longer read as much as before. I used to read at least 100 pages daily. That's about 1 book in 2 days. I also listened to audio. Used to listen 10 hours daily. That's about 1 book a day for audios (Back when I was jobless). On goodreads, I read about 80-100 books a year.

Edited by hyruga

Start with some discipline.

Read at least 10 pages a day. Or 25. Whatever minimum amount you can manage.

But yeah ideally you build an enjoyable reading habit

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.