Someone here

Comprehending right NOW

45 posts in this topic

how would anyone grasp time with words, it`s like trying to grasp a stone full of algea with your hands while standing on it. you can`t grasp time with words it is impossible.

Edited by mememe

20 hours ago, Tim R said:

What do you think is left when you collapse the duality between "something happening" and "nothing happening"? 

Not sure.

But first how do you collapse that duality in the first place?  Something seems to be happening and it's self-evident undeniably true. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

On 8/17/2021 at 6:23 PM, Someone here said:

I have a really hard time comprehending time, and as a result motion (location changed over a period of time).

I'll watch my hand wave in front of my face (for whatever reason), but really all that I am experiencing at each point in time is the location of my hand NOW, and a memory of where it was before. I never really can see it move - all I have is the vision of it, sitting still at this point, and knowing where it was before.

Motion is something that has changed from time a to time c. But at what time does it move? Is it point b, in between a and c? But look at point b: it itself is still. There is only motion because...and we start over.

Motion doesn't seem to be possible right NOW...we can only "know" it exists or have memories of it. And in reality, it also seems impossible to me.

Another thing about time, is what the smallest "time unit" humans have. If I am engulfed in something, not paying attention to time, only what I am doing, it could be maybe even half a second. Everything happening in that half a second happened at once. The laugh "HA!" all happened at once.

Then if you pay attention, you can consciously realize when you are at the beginning hhh of the HA, and the end aaa of the HA.

But still, a snap is too quick even for paying attention. I can hear no beginning or end - just it. Yet, two clicks can happen within the amount of time a snap takes place, and I can hear both of them.

Maybe the human brain is limited on this, to the point where eventually two clicks could be close enough just to make one. But just pondering the existence of these clicks is really really confusing.

@Someone here All that's happening is that you're superimposing thought over what's here. That's all that time is. 

I saw a TV show recently where a scientist was arguing that numbers are actually "out there" floating around in the universe. Totally absurd, but her paradigm had her utterly convinced that she was right. Same thing with time. 

First of all just try to see that your hand can still move from point A to point B without it moving through "time". You could use the word "custard" or "snagglepuss" rather than using the word "time", it's all just concept and thought and comes to the same thing. Just see it blindly, without imposing any thought or judgement on what's happening. Once you see that, the other things pointed to in this thread will start to become more obvious.

I hope this post doesn't come across in a patronizing manner, but personally I find that if someone lays things out really simply then it becomes obvious. I'm English...we don't do complicated ?

On 8/17/2021 at 6:23 PM, Someone here said:

I have a really hard time comprehending time, and as a result motion (location changed over a period of time).

I'll watch my hand wave in front of my face (for whatever reason), but really all that I am experiencing at each point in time is the location of my hand NOW, and a memory of where it was before. I never really can see it move - all I have is the vision of it, sitting still at this point, and knowing where it was before.

Motion is something that has changed from time a to time c. But at what time does it move? Is it point b, in between a and c? But look at point b: it itself is still. There is only motion because...and we start over.

Motion doesn't seem to be possible right NOW...we can only "know" it exists or have memories of it. And in reality, it also seems impossible to me.

Another thing about time, is what the smallest "time unit" humans have. If I am engulfed in something, not paying attention to time, only what I am doing, it could be maybe even half a second. Everything happening in that half a second happened at once. The laugh "HA!" all happened at once.

Then if you pay attention, you can consciously realize when you are at the beginning hhh of the HA, and the end aaa of the HA.

But still, a snap is too quick even for paying attention. I can hear no beginning or end - just it. Yet, two clicks can happen within the amount of time a snap takes place, and I can hear both of them.

Maybe the human brain is limited on this, to the point where eventually two clicks could be close enough just to make one. But just pondering the existence of these clicks is really really confusing.

@Someone here This video might help you.

Also, @Nahm once quoted something to me that really resonated. I believe it's a Buddhist koan. 

"You will never truly see until you realize that you are blind"

That one has helped me a lot!

@Jonty

May I add that eternity has nothing to do with time at all. The moment is incessant within the framework of time yet leaves a "debris" trail in objectivity we capture existential portions of time and structure it into the subjective moment. this compilation unfolds our being in the existential moment. Eternity is outside of time in fact it is everywhere all at once, unconditionally. Our problem is our time bound conceptions. Thanks for allowing my thought

-Osho

What I mean is that the timeless formless essence is incarnated in everything across infinity. So this very moment is eternity. But we can't deny movement (change) or time. That's like the other side of the coin of eternity. 

@Jonty ?

-Osho

@Someone here

5 hours ago, Someone here said:
On 20.8.2021 at 3:16 PM, Tim R said:

What do you think is left when you collapse the duality between "something happening" and "nothing happening"? 

Not sure.

But first how do you collapse that duality in the first place?  Something seems to be happening and it's self-evident undeniably true. 

"Something happening, movement/progression" is falsehood. But "Nothing happening, stagnation/standstill" is also falsehood. 

So what's left? Whatever answer one might give to that is wrong. This is a mystery. It really is and it is not a problem.

Something happening and nothing happening are identical. It's neither. 

Listen to the leaves rustling in the wind.

On 17/08/2021 at 7:23 PM, Someone here said:

Try, to move your hand really fast so you don't see it in exactly one position.

I'm not sure I can help you, but maybe you view the now as a frame, an instant, like a picture of a video that has 21frames per second, so for example, the "now" in a video would last 1/21st of a second.

That's not correct. It's a representation of time in terms of something else.

I know that I had those ideas of time.

1 hour ago, Endangered-EGO said:

but maybe you view the now as a frame, an instant, like a picture of a video that has 21frames per second, so for example, the "now" in a video would last 1/21st of a second.

That's not correct. It's a representation of time in terms of something else.

There seems to be no "now" either. Like when I try to point to it or catch it. It slips :D

-Osho

2 hours ago, Tim R said:

So what's left? Whatever answer one might give to that is wrong. This is a mystery. It really is and it is not a problem.

Something happening and nothing happening are identical. It's neither. 

Listen to the leaves rustling in the wind.

So you just give up? Lol jk 

The tao that can be said is not the eternal tao, I guess 

-Osho

7 minutes ago, ZzzleepingBear said:

What exactly is it that you are trying to comprehend right now?

The NOW ITSELF. 

-Osho

33 minutes ago, Someone here said:

The NOW ITSELF. 

Ok ok, you dont need to yell it at me about it...

Jokes aside, I get what you try to say. So let's take a look at this example.

If you take a bite out of an apple and I come around and asked you, "hey man, what are you eating?"

You may say, "I'm eating an apple".

So I start to make a chewing motion with my mouth, and you may ask me the same question "What are you eating?"

And I say, "Like, right now?" You, "yes??"

And I say, "I'm eating eating itself right now"

And you go "hu??!"

I say, "I don't have anything in my mouth at the moment, I just do this chewing motion inorder to eat the eating.".

Do you see how this make no sense what so ever? The now is always part as the eating, but what you bite into is what counts. Eating something and swallow it down is what needs to happen inorder to call it eating in the first place. Just like the now is not a thing on it's own, but a lable to something that can't be reached, because it already is. I't is like looking for a square circle. You can spell it out like I just did, but that doesn't mean that you can find one. The same goes with I should say, "The" now. When you don't look for it, then it's easier to be aware of. Presence.

16 hours ago, ZzzleepingBear said:

Do you see how this make no sense what so ever? The now is always part as the eating, but what you bite into is what counts. Eating something and swallow it down is what needs to happen inorder to call it eating in the first place. Just like the now is not a thing on it's own, but a lable to something that can't be reached, because it already is. I't is like looking for a square circle. You can spell it out like I just did, but that doesn't mean that you can find one. The same goes with I should say, "The" now. When you don't look for it, then it's easier to be aware of. Presence.

I'm not sure I understand your point 

Are you saying "the now" is an abstraction?

-Osho

5 minutes ago, Someone here said:

What did you think "it" was? 

11 minutes ago, Tim R said:

What did you think "it" was? 

Another word for "reality". For what's happening. 

-Osho

11 minutes ago, Someone here said:

I'm not sure I understand your point 

Not really. I mean that thinking about something like "The" now is nothing but an abstractive thought process. There is nothing called "The" now to comprehend except missguided thoughts and beliefs itself, that's all.

Then what is there to comprehend? Is reality a puzzle or is your mind creating puzzles where there aren't any?xD