Seth

Uh, Um, Like

7 posts in this topic

I've been trying to improve my language fluency but I struggle sometimes to come up with the right words at the level of specificity or connotation that I would like. I think this holds me back in various parts of my life but I'm sure how to interpret it. 

There are two ways I can think about this

1) I should stop thinking so much about what I'm going to say and just go with the flow.

2) I should keep thinking about what I want to say and in time the language will become more fluent.

Do you have any thoughts?

It helps a lot to visualize yourself speaking correctly, as you want to sound.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I have a huge problem with this. 

I write a lot, like here on Actualized Org. 

I have slowly improved a little. 

My writing is hopefully more articulate than before. 

When it comes to speaking, I get nervous and forget words. Just monosyllabic most of the time. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Preety_India

I have the same problem.

I would consider myself relatively fluid in my english writing capabilities.

But if i tried to have an actual face to face conversation with the same level of intricacy and choice of words, i would just constantly stumble over them or just straight up would not be able tot get a single word out of mouth and cause myself to have a mental block. 

Happened to me a couple of times in the past.

I love you infinitely. I will find you forever in every life time because you and me are one. You and me eternally breathing life and bluming 

Same problem. But I try to make videos every week and also talk to friends online (in english) and sometimes help em out with complex topics(regarding spirituality), so this is my way of just dealing with this and getting better.  

After just 2 -3 months of this, my explaining has gotten way better, but only decent. I still need to pause, talk slow, and have the problem of repeating myself with different words. Sometimes going off track. But I don't get as much mental blocks anymore. 

So imo you should figure out some way where you NEED to use your speaking skills in your life regularly. If you really need to, it will better.

Thanks for the advice, I think it will aid my pursuit very much.

On 17-8-2021 at 7:14 AM, Leo Gura said:

It helps a lot to visualize yourself speaking correctly, as you want to sound.

I used to do this a lot but got barely any results from it. It seemed what I visualised and reality were too far apart. So I practiced more (mindfully) and less visualisation and things got better, quicker.

@Seth One of the 9 intelligences is linguistic and for some people it's just lower. Just keep practicing. I don't know if you talk really fast but what seemed to work for me atleast is talking slower and breathing deeper. Take your time while talking, also say less, but be specific.