Gabith

Anna Brown

47 posts in this topic

I like some of her stuff, I don't really care who says what as long as they can answer my questions on spiritual matters in a way that I can grow from.  I don't use her content very often, though and so don't have much of an opinion.

3 hours ago, The0Self said:

If she weren't authentic, it certainly would be lol. But since I only sense authenticity, I don't see it that way. I think she just comes from a theatrical lifestyle/background.

That's my sense of it too, I can't pretend to know where she's coming from exactly but she does strike me as being authentic. I think she's wonderful, actually, even if what she says doesn't really mean anything to me right now. She does appear at times to be slightly mental, but that's just me projecting I should think.

Thing about it is, it seems to me that the only people who'd understand what she's talking about are people who've had the same realisations that she's had, whilst to everyone else it isn't going to mean anything - so what's the point in even talking about it? Reminds me of a quote, not sure if I've got the wording exactly right but it goes something like this: 'To those who know, no explanation is needed; to those who don't know, no explanation is possible'.

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan

2 hours ago, universe said:

She is one of the most radical teachers out there. Even tho she wouldn't say she is a teacher, of course.

If you think you need "work" to get enlightened you will never be enlightened, unless you stopped "working".

That is just what she does.

Maybe she is lying to herself, but everyone is delusional anyways.

Meditation can take many forms.

There is no limit or rule on how to meditate.

:x

@universe Zen story time:

Student:" Master, How long will it take for me to get enlightened?"

Master:" About 10 years"

Student:"Oh that's very long, what if I work towards it twice as much as possible?"

Master:"... 20 years then."

Anna Brown is awesome! A great speaker.

When she says "there is nothing to do because there us no self to be awakened." She is absolutely correct.

This message is very useful for spiritual seekers who are caught in the trap of thinking that enlightenment is something to be achieved "out there" somewhere in the distant future.

Her message is very important for remembering that when you practice, you are trying to allow the present moment to be exactly as it is. You are not trying to "create" and enlightenment "experience." But you are just trying to surrender to the Truth of Now which is that your awareness is already free and liberated.

It's important to mix actual serious practice with the remembrance that there is no reason to practice. There is equally no reason to not practice. So you might as well practice your ass off. Just don't allow your practice to become it's own obstacle.

Leo is right when he says that these teachings can easily delude newbies into thinking that they are more awake than they actually are.

I make YouTube videos about Self-Actualization: >> Check it out here <<

It can feel like there is nothing to do once you're there, and that everything you had done had been pointless. But doing always precedes it, so the communication can evoke confusion.

5 hours ago, The0Self said:

Yeah I can certainly agree that listening to them would be an incredibly inefficient if not useless way to awaken. 

For me who is on a feeling, loving, surrendering to life path, I deeply resonate with Anna. Just listening to her and looking into her eyes, I often have crazy shivers and profound shifts in consciousness, with intense emotional releases and bliss states.

In my opinion It is not what she says that matters the most, but her energy and presence. 

7 hours ago, universe said:

If you think you need "work" to get enlightened you will never be enlightened, unless you stopped "working".

It generally takes tons of effort (or at least purification and maximization of your desire for it) until it doesn’t. Relaxed yet incredibly diligent effort.

Edited by The0Self

4 hours ago, RickyFitts said:

She does appear at times to be slightly mental

That’s what happens when you awaken. You stop hiding and let the bad and the good out that you’ve been holding in your whole life. It’s different for everyone but that’s certainly my sense of it and it seems at least somewhat universal, though some people might simply be “that normal” that it’s not really noticed.

2 hours ago, knakoo said:

For me who is on a feeling, loving, surrendering to life path, I deeply resonate with Anna. Just listening to her and looking into her eyes, I often have crazy shivers and profound shifts in consciousness, with intense emotional releases and bliss states.

In my opinion It is not what she says that matters the most, but her energy and presence. 

Yeah she definitely can transmit energy it seems. Very heart-intense being.

14 hours ago, Gabith said:

Here's Anna Brown

I love her content but I wonder what she did to keep this "state of consciousness"

She probably didn't do much. She was born in such good conditions that most likely created a false sense of enlightenment. Put her in some third world country without psychedelics and without women rights and then you will know for sure whether she's real or fake.

It's easy to be enlightened when are on the top of the world. It's a whole different story to be enlightened in the midst of a shit-hole.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

@Gesundheit2 She told in a video that she had a harsh time being young and had traumas, like a lot of people.

We can't be sure if it's true or not of course

Edited by Gabith

@Gabith The path often includes suffering at some point, but that's kinda irrelevant, because suffering in this case is false/self-inflicted. I am talking about suffering that's forced upon you. How are you gonna handle that? That's the real test.

The point is to put the "currently enlightened" person in a stressful situation and see how they are gonna hold up. If they fail and regress, that means they're not really enlightened.

You don't necessarily have to put them in actually dangerous situations - merely a situation where their ego might get hurt or their freedom might be a little bit threatened. Any threat to a personal preference would probably be ideal. Like a situation where a normal person would feel angry and flip out in total ego mode. If they're the real deal, they should not be reacting mindlessly. Even though, I'll accept an apparently similar reaction. If an enlightened person shouts, that's okay for me. As long as they're not suffering on the inside. But of course, I can't tell what their inner experience is. But from my experience, I can tell that that's not an easy goal to achieve, even with decades of spiritual practice, and I will always be skeptical of anyone claiming enlightenment.

Edited by Gesundheit2

@Gesundheit2 To be honest with you, I think that is a fucking great metric for enlightenment.

It's easy to sit under a tree and talk about love, it's quite another to embody such a philosophy in times of war or political turmoil or even something as simple as getting bullied or aggressively insulted by someone

It's like the stereotype of the wise old enlightened man who is unfazed by all the idiots who throw rocks at him and what not.

Again, man, I love that metric. How would you embody that in your work? It seems to me like the perseverance aspect of one's being, like physical strength, for instance, running, lifting weights, pushing oneself in the face of adversity and resistance...

@samijiben Yeah. I think resilience under all circumstances is a core feature of enlightened people. Otherwise, every stage Green hippy person would be enlightened, and we would be wasting our time with all the spiritual work. Because without that metric, the answer would be very simple: Just adopt stage Green lofty ideals, and you will be enlightened; no sweat.

Jesus said when his people tortured him: "Father, forgive them. For they know not what they do."

It's all a matter of degree.

What you have to understand about all these teachers who take the "don't work for it" approach is that they were extremely lucky to awaken.

It would be like me telling someone career advice of: don't work hard, when I was born to billionaire parents.

If not working worked then everyone would be awake. Yet no one is. Listening to a bunch of soft Neo-Advaita talk will not awaken almost anyone, just like how watching videos of billionaires swimming in pools of money will not make you rich.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 hours ago, Gesundheit2 said:

She probably didn't do much. She was born in such good conditions that most likely created a false sense of enlightenment. Put her in some third world country without psychedelics and without women rights and then you will know for sure whether she's real or fake.

It's easy to be enlightened when are on the top of the world. It's a whole different story to be enlightened in the midst of a shit-hole.

Well, yeah.. We are our environments to a large extent

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

She is speaking from the absolute. Yes, in the absolute sense, all things are what they are and will never be anything else. No matter how unenlightened you are, in the spectrum of eternity, you are already enlightened in the absolute. We have been doing this for eternity, and we will keep going.

She is less trying to teach seriously but simply sharing the absolute truth through her, which will not resonate with or truly be understood by the majority of the people except those who are already awake and enlightened (or at least highly developed spiritually). For most people, they need serious/practical spiritual/epistemological teachings that can move them up the spiral. 

However, this is only considered if teaching is considered as important to that being (the teacher). After awakening, all beings are free to choose what they wish to do or experience. So they are free to place importance on anything they wish, they may value serious teaching, or they may just speak through their intuition. She plays more as an example of a type of awakened being and speaking truth to those ready to hear it, but not really as a teacher who can help raise the consciousness of the masses. 

The concept of cessation/desirelessness is a deep and important one on the path that will lead to a deeper state of beingness. But most people are not at the point on the path where they are ready to truly reach this understanding.

These concepts can still be important seeds that might lead to awakening or insights later on as a person develops into higher states of consciousness. But many might also misinterpret them and become confused or stuck. So one should consume teachings from a wide range of teachers but always verify them through their own direct experience before believing in anything. If you had direct experiences of God, you would understand what Anna said on an experiential level instead of intellectual beliefs, and thus you would not get stuck on them because you did the work to verify them yourself.

Do you need to work and seek to become enlightened? How would you know that if you are not enlightened? And how would you know that Anna is speaking the truth? Do you even know what the truth is? 

Know that you know nothing and test all insights and teachings to verify them for yourself. This way, you are less likely to become too confused, stuck, or deluded on the path. 

@samijiben isn't this a preconcieved notion of how an enlightened person should act? 

I agree that the more conscious you become, the least reactive you tend to be. 

But maybe being enlightened means accepting your whole nature, also the snapping and not being in full control over your emotions all the time. 

Should an enlightened person always act calmly, peacefully and lovingly? Or is there also room for aggression? If someone assaults my girlfriend and I use violence to defend her, does that make me less enlightened? 

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It's all a matter of degree.

What you have to understand about all these teachers who take the "don't work for it" approach is that they were extremely lucky to awaken.

It would be like me telling someone career advice of: don't work hard, when I was born to billionaire parents.

If not working worked then everyone would be awake. Yet no one is. Listening to a bunch of soft Neo-Advaita talk will not awaken almost anyone, just like how watching videos of billionaires swimming in pools of money will not make you rich.

For newbies yes maybe it is good to "work hard", but at some point on the path it becomes counterproductive to use a lot of will power and forcing yourself to do practices. Your realise that, don't you ? I think you said something along those lines in your satisfaction meditation video.

Though maybe seeking hard for decades can work for some people, I don't know. Maybe it depends if someone is more mind or feeling/heart oriented.