Kundalini Faq

19 posts in this topic

What is kundalini?

I'd rather not have some evil serpent demons moving up my spine into my head. Kundalini can stay where it belongs.

Now seriously, I have always asked myself what kundalini actually is. Please enlighten me :P

Kundalini in yogic theory, is a primal energy, or shakti, located at the base of the spine. Different spiritual traditions teach methods of "awakening" kundalini for the purpose of reaching spiritual enlightenment. Kundalini is described as lying "coiled" at the base of the spine, represented as either a goddess or sleeping serpent waiting to be awakened. In modern commentaries, Kundalini has been called an unconscious, instinctive or libidinal force, or "mother energy or intelligence of complete maturation".

Kundalini awakening is said to result in deep meditation, enlightenment and bliss.This awakening involves the Kundalini physically moving up the central channel to reach within the Sahasrara Chakra at the top of the head. Many systems of yoga focus on the awakening of Kundalini through meditation, pranayama breathing, the practice of asana and chanting of mantras.In physical terms, one commonly reports the Kundalini experience to be a feeling of electric current running along the spine.

"When you succeed in awakening the Kundalini, so that it starts to move out of its mere position, you necessarily start a world which is totally different from our world. It is the world of eternity." - Carl Jung

1 hour ago, azlatev9 said:

Kundalini in yogic theory, is a primal energy, or shakti, located at the base of the spine. Different spiritual traditions teach methods of "awakening" kundalini for the purpose of reaching spiritual enlightenment. Kundalini is described as lying "coiled" at the base of the spine, represented as either a goddess or sleeping serpent waiting to be awakened. In modern commentaries, Kundalini has been called an unconscious, instinctive or libidinal force, or "mother energy or intelligence of complete maturation".

Kundalini awakening is said to result in deep meditation, enlightenment and bliss.This awakening involves the Kundalini physically moving up the central channel to reach within the Sahasrara Chakra at the top of the head. Many systems of yoga focus on the awakening of Kundalini through meditation, pranayama breathing, the practice of asana and chanting of mantras.In physical terms, one commonly reports the Kundalini experience to be a feeling of electric current running along the spine.

"When you succeed in awakening the Kundalini, so that it starts to move out of its mere position, you necessarily start a world which is totally different from our world. It is the world of eternity." - Carl Jung

That sounds very interesting. So basically...this is what we are all doing by pursuing enlightenment and meditating? Or can one meditate and reach enlightenment without awakening Kundalini?

According to Tantra, kundalini energy rests like a coiled serpent at the base of the spine. When this dormant energy flows freely upward through the seven chakras and leads to an expanded state of consciousness, it’s known as a kundalini awakening.

For some, the experience can be blissful and filled with feelings of love and a sense of the interconnectedness of all things. For others, it can feel more like a bad drug trip, or even a psychotic break, where practitioners go through altered sleep cycles, changes in identity, or depression. This discrepancy has led many Westerners to fear the coiled serpent resting in their spine, ready to strike.

If you don’t first open the central channels of the nervous system, raising the serpent power along the axial pathway is not only impossible but also very dangerous to attempt, for instead of entering the central channel (sushumna nadi) it is likely to force itself in to the ida or the pingala nadi, on either side of the central channel, causing immense havoc in the body and mind.”

Kundalini reminds us that consciousness is far vaster than most of us have ever imagined, which can seem overwhelming and disorienting. It is known that people who have a psychotic break from an awakening usually come from a troubled family background, face high levels of stress, and don’t have enough emotional support. Still it's recommend that anyone who is fearful in the midst of such an awakening should seek support from a therapist (such as a transpersonal psychologist) or a teacher who has gone through it herself.

What is it? 

How does it manifest? 

What are your experiences with it? 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

I watched some video the other day in which a christian dude yelled how bad Kundalini is and that it's actually a demon sitting at your ass and it lures you with promises of peace, wisdom, fulfillment and enlightenment. If you fall into this trap and summon Kundalini it will slowly take control over you, the higher it get's up your spine the more control it does have, and when it reaches your head it's over. While it is crawling up your spine and possesing you more and more you feel it's power, you see visions and many other unholy stuff, you think that you reach higher spiritual states but you are mistaken. 

He also ranted about how out of body experiences are bad and demons lure you to do them :D it was quite funny. But this idea with Kundalini actually made me think. A serpent entity crawling up my spine, towards my brain making me see visions and feel power? I don't know how to feel about this, especially after listening to that weird christian dude ranting.

Now in all seriousness, I do NOT want any spiritrual entities in my body. Especially not in my spine or in my chakras.

Edit: What happened? :D I did not start this thread, it was about chakra meditation :P And where is the OP post?

Edited by The Alchemist

15 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

I watched some video the other day in which a christian dude yelled how bad Kundalini is and that it's actually a demon sitting at your ass and it lures you with promises of peace, wisdom, fulfillment and enlightenment. If you fall into this trap and summon Kundalini it will slowly take control over you, the higher it get's up your spine the more control it does have, and when it reaches your head it's over. While it is crawling up your spine and possesing you more and more you feel it's power, you see visions and many other unholy stuff, you think that you reach higher spiritual states but you are mistaken. 

He also ranted about how out of body experiences are bad and demons lure you to do them :D it was quite funny. But this idea with Kundalini actually made me think. A serpent entity crawling up my spine, towards my brain making me see visions and feel power? I don't know how to feel about this, especially after listening to that weird christian dude ranting.

Now in all seriousness, I do NOT want any spiritrual entities in my body. Especially not in my spine or in my chakras.

Edit: What happened? :D I did not start this thread, it was about chakra meditation :P And where is the OP post?

The kundalini awakening is a really deep topic and I barely know the tip of the iceberg. After all the kundalini awakening is an effect which is extremely powerful and the preparation must be appropriate otherwise it may cause a bad trip with bad effects. These guided meditations are an excellent start for anyone, whether you want to begin your kundalini awakening or not, I guarantee you will like the guided meditations for all the 7 chakras!

6 minutes ago, azlatev9 said:

The kundalini awakening is a really deep topic and I barely know the tip of the iceberg. After all the kundalini awakening is an effect which is extremely powerful and the preparation must be appropriate otherwise it may cause a bad trip with bad effects. These guided meditations are an excellent start for anyone, whether you want to begin your kundalini awakening or not, I guarantee you will like the guided meditations for all the 7 chakras!

I already do guided meditations for all the 7 chakras, I have downloaded quite a lot of them. I just hope Kundalini doesn't rise just from using those guided meditations :D I am not prepared lol

15 hours ago, Ayla said:

What is it? 

How does it manifest? 

We have to go a little deeper. I'll quote what Guru Rattana has written in one of his articles.

Activating the Kundalini
Each of us in our own way is charming, creative and alive. We are each born with the innate capacity to able to both master and accept our circumstances. If we use our gifts wisely we can accomplish much and achieve happiness. The human path is about learning to connect with our soul essence, tap our vital energy and discover our gifts so that we can successfully navigate our life.

The Kundalini is this dormant potential in each of use. The Kundalini is the internal fire that ignites our Soul. Raising the Kundalini is about activating our internal flame, unleashing our passion for life and taming our fiery emotions so that we can use our energy to live an exciting and fulfilling life.

The spirit of our soul is always available to us. Kundalini yoga was created to help us

Tap the magical powers of the Divine within

•  Cultivate our internal fire
  •  Build our charismatic presence
  •  Unleash our will to act and create
  •  Transmute fear into prana and vitality
  •  Enliven ourselves with the breath of life

Awaken our Kundalini - the power of your Soul

How do we tap the fire, the passion, the magnetic presence and the unlimited energy that the Kundalini represents?

The Awakening Process

The Kundalini is the boundless energy of our Soul. it lies dormant, ready and waiting to be awakened. The awakening process involves 3 complementary principles.

(1) Activation
(2) Allowing
(3) Alignment

(1) Activation is the conscious effort or the masculine aspect. Activation is associated with practicing a discipline involving techniques designed to shift energy. Activation involves some form of action or "doing."

(2) Allowing is the conscious acceptance of what is occurring. Allowing is the feminine aspect. Allowing involves simply being, doing nothing, but at the same time being very aware of what is happening.

(3) Alignment is the integration or the result of activation and allowing. The goal is two fold (1) to align our energy with universal energy, so that universal energy effortlessly flows through us and (2) to align our body, mind and emotions so our infinite potential is unleashed within us.

The practice of Kundalini yoga incorporates these 3 principles.

(1) Activation takes place with the practice of asanas or yoga exercises. When it is properly functioning, the release of the energy of the Kundalini is facilitated. The power of the exercises is enhanced with the breath and the internal recitation of mantras. The exercises strengthen the nervous system, stimulate the glands to secrete, loosen up the muscles and align the skeleton. The body is the temple of the Soul.

(2) Allowing happens when we relax, let go and stop trying to make something happen. We are programmed to try to control ourselves, the events in our lives and our environments. Yet perhaps 90% of what happens within ourselves and in our lives happens beyond our control. Ideally we would spend equal time simply being aware of what is happening and tuning into the reality of what IS. By simply allowing, we not only expand our awareness of what is transpiring within about outside ourselves, we release the resistance that prevents our energy from flowing and things from happening in our lives.

(3) Alignment has both and active and a passive component. The active component involves "applying the locks" or performing subtle internal movements in the chakras and along the spine. The passive component happens naturally when the blocks in the body have been released. The physical and energy bodies automatically align when the resistance to the natural state and flow is gone.

Energy Flow

Our goal is to access, activate and increase the energy flow in our bodies. There are several ways to do this. The practice of Kundalini yoga incorporates the following principle techniques.

Movement or exercise which opens channels in the body and causes the glands to secrete.

Receiving the energy contained in the breath

Allowing our innate energy to flow by releasing resistance and blocks

Opening ourselves to receive Divine energy by opening our chakras and our mind.

Locks or "Bhandas"

Locks or "Bhandas" create a posture that is maintained while the breath is held out or in. The slight movements in the muscles align the body so the energy in the spine can flow upward, not downward. Lock refers to the action performed by the locks before a dam, which prevent water, or in this case energy, from being released in a backward or downward direction. The term locks should not be interpreted as a forceful constriction. The idea is not to block the energy but to open up the spine so that the energy can flow easier and be released upward. A more gentle way to relate to the locks is to view them as ways to open up the flowers or the pedals of the lotuses along the spine.

When to Apply the Locks

Relaxing while holding a posture (after the exercise is completed), creates a dynamic space for movement of energy. In general, the locks are applied while holding the posture after completing a yoga exercise. This direction is not always specified. It assumed that the student will gently apply the appropriate locks to anchor in the internal effects of the asana.

ROOTLOCK OR MULBHAND
Rootlock or mulbhand closes the lower three chakras so that the energy cannot be lost or leaked out through the base of the spine. As a consequence the energy stays in the body and can flow up the spine. As with all the locks, rootlock is done either while holding the breath in or holding the breath out.

The complete rootlock is done by slightly contracting the muscles of the rectum or anal sphincter, and the sex organ and pulling the navel center in toward the spine. To identify and work with the muscles of each of the chakras, practice working with them separately.
When the mulbhand is applied while retaining the breath, the two major energy flows, prana and apana are united. This generates psychic heat which triggers the release of Kundalini energy.

DIAPHRAGM LOCK OR UDDIYANA BHANDA
Diaphragm lock works with the solar plexus and the heart chakra. It is actually easier to apply this lock while holding the breath out. The diaphragm muscles are pulled in and up. Start by sucking in the solar plexus, pull the muscles toward the spine and then pull them up. The chest will expand and the spine will straighten.

Diaphragm lock massages the heart muscle and causes the thymus to secrete. It is also used during chanting. Rhythmically applied, it enhances the effect of chanting.

NECK LOCK OR JALANDHARA BHANDA
The neck lock involves a very subtle movement. Move the chin down slightly and pull the head up. The chest will open up. You will move from a slumped posture and caved in chest to a straighter posture and open heart center. The shoulders should relax, drop and release downwards. The tongue and throat should relax.

Straightening the cervical vertebrae allows the free flow of prana to the brain and opens the connection between the head and the heart.

TONGUE AND EYE LOCK
Yogic texts stop with the neck lock. However, to complete the stimulation of the 6th and 7th chakras, what we will call the tongue and eye locks are also applied. The tip of the tongue presses gently to the roof of the mouth. The eyes look up as though looking out the top of the head. You may feel the pulse at the crown chakra (the soft spot on a baby's head.)

MAHABHANDA
Mahabhanda is the application of all the locks at once. When all the locks are applied, the nerves and glands are rejuvenated.

Bhanda Exercise

Sit on the heels with the knees spread wide apart, palms on the thighs

Apply rootlock and relax it

Apply diaphragm lock and relax it

Apply neck, tongue and eye locks and relax them

Pull the locks while holding out the exhale

Repeat in rhythmic alternation for 3-11 minutes

Stay very present to the energy movement along the spine

Notice how the slight movements and adjustment to your position effect the flow of energy

Apply the same concepts as above - ACTIVATE, ALLOW AND ALIGN

and, make sure to take the time and attention to really enjoy with is happening in your body!

This bhanda exercise is also an excellent preparation for tantric sex. It allows the sexual energy to move up the spine instead of being expelled.

The word Kundalini is most known from the Sanskrit language, yet it is even more ancient than that language; it has roots that go back to Atlantis and beyond.

Kundalini refers to a cosmic force, an energy unlike any energy that we know physically. Kundalini is not mere electricity or magnetism or heat, but is the source of them all. Kundalini is a kind of force or energy that is pure, divine, raw potentiality, that is then modified according to its condition. This is the key fact that is often missing in many texts or schools of Hinduism or Buddhism who discuss Kundalini.

In the West, Kundalini is also a basic foundational aspect of religion, but it is more veiled. In the Judeo-Christian tradition it is symbolized as the fire of the Holy Spirit or that column of fire that led the Israelites in their great exodus.

In reality, any spiritual practice that we perform, any kind, whether recitation of mantras, Meditation, prayer, devotional singing, Karmayoga or selfless service (Seva), all of these spiritual practices, no matter what tradition it comes from, has as its intention the awakening of this cosmic force within us. There is no exception to this. The very purpose of religion or yoga is to awaken this energy inside of the person. We seek to activate that force, because that energy connects us to the divine. It produces in us what can be called enlightenment or liberation—however, do not confuse this with realization, which depends upon cognizance, wisdom, understanding.

The energy of Kundalini is not active in people today. That is because the conditions that activate it have not been satisfied. Like any energy or force in nature, the energy ofKundalini (the Holy Spirit) functions according to the laws of nature. It functions according to cause and effect. Everything in nature, even God, respects the law of cause and effect. Karma, this law of action and consequence, modifies everything. Every manifested thing is subject to cause and effect. Kundalini is no exception.

Kundalini is the intelligence of God. God does not act by accident. Enlightenment or liberation does not come by accident. Enlightenment is a result of precise causes. To produce those causes requires great effort and a lot of knowledge. God, divinity, the Divine Mother, does not enlighten anyone randomly, by accident, or on a whim.

-Samaeul Aun Weor

kundalini.jpg

Try Kundalini yoga if you are interested. :) The point of this yoga is to enlighten one self and to know and be the Truth. It is a very beautiful and powerful form of yoga and I can highly recommend it. Kundalini energy and kundalini awakening is just the tip of the ice berg to all of that there is to know about this beautiful form of yoga.

On 2/10/2016 at 9:16 PM, Ayla said:

What is it? 
A spiritual practice to reach enlightenment
How does it manifest? 
As you release the chakra points the from the root of the spine up to the top of the head there's a tingling sensation up the spine to the next chakra point.
I've had a sensation like that of a crawling snake moving from my solar plexus up to the neck. 

Never tried any exercises, I just focused on the chakra points with awareness.

On 2/10/2016 at 2:09 PM, azlatev9 said:

According to Tantra, kundalini energy rests like a coiled serpent at the base of the spine. When this dormant energy flows freely upward through the seven chakras and leads to an expanded state of consciousness, it’s known as a kundalini awakening.

For some, the experience can be blissful and filled with feelings of love and a sense of the interconnectedness of all things. For others, it can feel more like a bad drug trip, or even a psychotic break, where practitioners go through altered sleep cycles, changes in identity, or depression. This discrepancy has led many Westerners to fear the coiled serpent resting in their spine, ready to strike.

If you don’t first open the central channels of the nervous system, raising the serpent power along the axial pathway is not only impossible but also very dangerous to attempt, for instead of entering the central channel (sushumna nadi) it is likely to force itself in to the ida or the pingala nadi, on either side of the central channel, causing immense havoc in the body and mind.”

Kundalini reminds us that consciousness is far vaster than most of us have ever imagined, which can seem overwhelming and disorienting. It is known that people who have a psychotic break from an awakening usually come from a troubled family background, face high levels of stress, and don’t have enough emotional support. Still it's recommend that anyone who is fearful in the midst of such an awakening should seek support from a therapist (such as a transpersonal psychologist) or a teacher who has gone through it herself.

Thank you! I've been fearful of what I've thought to be my own Kundalini awakening. Reconciling advice from Sean Blackwell's Bipolar or Waking Up and hearing your thoughts has made me less fearful. 

All the pain and problems people are talking about is just something you have to go through, you'll have to go through the same thing even if you attempt to become enlightened by any other means.  Just go do breathing meditation outside for several hours, deepening your breath and looking inside.  All along the way something will tell you to stop doing it, but just keep going.  You'll be crazy for a couple years :) just keep going.

Edit:You might be able to work through it faster, and not have a long period of time where you are mentally unstable, I think it has more to do with what else is going on in your life.  If you spent alot of time alone in quiet, you could maybe get it done faster, but if you keep trying to go to work or school,  then ya you might be crazy for a while, just a tad bit though :) its worth it.

Edited by Mulky

Also a warning; It's very dangerous, and if you fvck up, you're gonna be psychotic in a psych ward for the rest of your life. The energy is very sexual in nature too, my experience with it was on NoFap, basically abstaining from masturbation. The "energy" that I gained was excess prana, which means sexual magnetism. Somehow I screwed up, and then boom psychotic. I don't know much about it, but a teacher is definitely needed.  

I believe its meaning is of the life force or primal energy of all creation. It's can also be used symbolically to describe the energetic awakening process of the individual as described by eastern yogic traditions. As kundalini awakes, consciousness rises as the energy centers open and the body is purified of conditioning. (and merges with the infinite?)

Any practices based on raising kundalini (especially pranayamas) should be done with great care and after a lot of study to reduce risk of difficulty or calamity. Ideally under guidance. 

On 2/10/2016 at 10:36 PM, The Alchemist said:

That sounds very interesting. So basically...this is what we are all doing by pursuing enlightenment and meditating? Or can one meditate and reach enlightenment without awakening Kundalini?

Yeah, the first one. :) 

Edited by Arman

It's the Tinsel on the Christmas tree ;) 

It's the two pillars of reality that your life is based on, the red one was the serpent in Eden.

The male and the female one have to travel through the seven seals at the back of the Book of Life where everyone's names have been written since the dawn of time until they reach the pineal gland.

When you combine them and smash them together for the marriage in the Bridal Chamber - Third Eye the Christ is Born and you are enlightened as the Buddha.

Something to that affect, I'm aware I left the Crown chakra out so there's at least some mistake in there lol.

On 2/10/2016 at 7:36 AM, The Son said:

In my opinion, Kundalini is an effect, and the cause is Enlightenment.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

This discussion between Jiddu Krishnamurti and Friends is worth a read: http://www.katinkahesselink.net/kr/kundalini.html

Major notes in there would be: 

1) Kundalini Experiences do not equal Full Awakening

2) Kundalini appears once Ego Activity has been tamed

3) It's all still a Mystery

------------

There is an autobiographical book by Gopi Krishna who experienced some kind of Awakening.

This man lived in India and could not for the life of him find a Guru/Yogi who had direct first hand Full Awakening.

There were some scientists who wanted to study him, but then he unfortunately passed away.

------------

It is my belief that Kundalini is the Root of Ancient Wisdom Traditions.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti