whatishappeningtome

3rd World Countries Left Behind on Vaccines (2% Fully Vaccinated)

21 posts in this topic

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02109-1

This highlights the selfish and idiocy of vaccine hesitancy for Covid-19. Rich developed nations like the USA are able to get an oversupply (even ordering enough for 3rd booster shots) and the general population is able to get it for free quickly and easily. 

All while a continent like Africa has a 2% vaccination rate, can get ravaged by Covid and of course has no where near the level of medical facilities we do in the developed world.  

29 minutes ago, whatishappeningtome said:

the general population is able to get it for free quickly and easily.

Well, to be fair, the US tax payers did pay for it. The Africans did not.

It's like buying food for your fat child when there are starving children in Africa. It's tragic but also understandable.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Actually it's not free

But yes more needs to be done by First world countries to change the situation in the Third World. 

The level of apathy is astounding. 

In First world countries, there's always some sugar daddy to pay for things. 

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

23 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Well, to be fair, the US tax payers did pay for it. The Africans did not.

Oh yes, that's true and we should be grateful for all the funding that went into researching and developing MRNA vaccines. 

I am more commenting on just how shocking it is that people don't want to get the vaccine, while some parts of the world literally can't (even some first world countries). 

We already saw the Delta variant be created in India back in Dec 2020. It's really concerning that if we don't focus on this as a global issue, the virus could keep mutating. 

Yeah, it won't actually solve the problem even if 100% of Americans were vaccinated, since new vaccine resistant mutations could likely keep popping up in areas that lack vaccinations. The only real solution is a global one, the local solution (every country for themselves) is not really a solution at all, and this pandemic is forcing us to take note of that. 

Edited by TheAlchemist

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

Ironically, first world countries are still somehow the most affected by the virus.

I know some people are going to deny that and say that it's due to poor screening/testing in third world countries, but I live in a third world country, and it's not as bad as you'd imagine. In many ways, it's even better than in first world countries, even after they got vaccinated.

I think the psychological factor (media) is the most important one. As well, it might be the case that hard circumstances make stronger immune systems. Besides, we're closer to nature than industrial countries.

I don't know, maybe I'm just rambling.

Edited by Gesundheit2

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

2 minutes ago, Gesundheit2 said:

Ironically, first world countries are still somehow the most affected by the virus.

I know some people are going to deny that and say that it's due to poor screening/testing in third world countries, but I live in a third world country, and it's not as bad as you'd imagine. In many ways, it's even better than in first world countries, even after they got vaccinated.

I think the psychological factor (media) is the most important one. As well, it might be the case that hard circumstances make stronger immune systems. Besides, we're closer to nature than industrial countries.

The condition in India is really awful. You simply don't have a clue. 

11 minutes ago, Gesundheit2 said:

I think the psychological factor (media) is the most important one.

The media certainly ignores most 3rd world countries.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Is it right to think that we can change this world? 

This question has always bothered me. 

14 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

The condition in India is really awful. You simply don't have a clue. 

India is a second world country, same as Brazil.

5 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

The media certainly ignores most 3rd world countries.

I meant that the media here doesn't focus too much on covid (or health in general) like first world media. It almost seems like a paranoia over there.

A friend of mine just was to Kenia and he said they`re doing pretty good, even without the vaccine. Just shows that it's not necessary to vaccinate everyone. They aren't all dying on the street. Well at least from Covid, hunger and stiff is still a bigger problem for them. 

Instead of focusing on giving those people in Africa vaccines, how about instead focusing on getting them enough food and water, so that they can at least still their basic survival needs... 

40 minutes ago, Gesundheit2 said:

India is a third world country. It has more problems per square kilometer than a city in the US. 

@Gesundheit2

45 minutes ago, Gesundheit2 said:

Right now I don't have power/electricity since last 7 hours in my entire neighborhood. And my battery is only 3%.

So Yea. Definitely India is third world. Stop sugar coating brutal truths. 

Depends on how you interpret what a third world country means to you... It's all relative. 

so sad... my privelege is crazy

Edited by Jacob Morres

2 hours ago, Gesundheit2 said:

Many developing countries in Africa and elsewhere have very significant proportions of young people compared to Europe/North America, so it won't be as deadly on average. Also, there is an obvious lack of testing and medical facilities, the hospitals won't get overwhelmed with ICU patients if there is no real ICU that almost any citizen could access. People just die in the villages and streets, as they already do at a way higher rate than in first world countries due to other more common and deadly diseases, so it's not as much of a contrast. You need an actual working medical infrastructure that people can access for it to be overwhelmed (like India and Brazil and the west ofc, 2nd and 1st world countries). The country needs to be at a certain threshold and standard of wellbeing for covid to be a significant contrast to the current state of things. If people are already struggling to stay alive, covid won't make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things within that country. So in the first world countries it is understandably causing much more alarm. 

Edited by TheAlchemist

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

2 hours ago, Preety_India said:

@Gesundheit2

Right now I don't have power/electricity since last 7 hours in my entire neighborhood. And my battery is only 3%.

Is it a pattern? That's kind of strange, though. Because India is a large, rich country. And as far as I know, you even have nuclear programs. Your politicians must be really hungry lol.

So Yea. Definitely India is third world. Stop sugar coating brutal truths. 

Tell that to Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_World

2 hours ago, Preety_India said:

India is a third world country. It has more problems per square kilometer than a city in the US. 

That's not the only criterion.

Edited by Gesundheit2

Just now, Gesundheit2 said:

Is it a pattern? That's kind of strange, though. Because India is a large, rich country.

Please. There's too much poverty in India and its massive. Also look up on Google, India is a third world country. Wikipedia is not a valid source. It's all over the internet. And you don't need the internet. Just look at the conditions in India. I don't believe the sugar coating by media and politicians for votes. 

1 hour ago, TheAlchemist said:

Many developing countries in Africa and elsewhere have very significant proportions of young people compared to Europe/North America, so it won't be as deadly on average.

Yeah, demographics is likely a crucial factor to consider here.

Also, there is an obvious lack of testing and medical facilities, the hospitals won't get overwhelmed with ICU patients if there is no real ICU that almost any citizen could access. People just die in the villages and streets, as they already do at a way higher rate than in first world countries due to other more common and deadly diseases, so it's not as much of a contrast.

Sources? I don't see any people dying on the streets here. And we don't even have to wear masks anymore, rarely anyone does, even inside governmental agencies. The government is kinda chill about covid now.

You need an actual working medical infrastructure that people can access for it to be overwhelmed (like India and Brazil and the west ofc, 2nd and 1st world countries). The country needs to be at a certain threshold and standard of wellbeing for covid to be a significant contrast to the current state of things. If people are already struggling to stay alive, covid won't make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things within that country. So in the first world countries it is understandably causing much more alarm. 

Maybe.

@intotheblack Exactly my point! I think it is that counterintuitive. Law of Attraction in action, so to speak.