John Iverson

Practicing a Skill by imagining it

2 posts in this topic

I encountered that in the book mastery and i want to learn that thoroughly can you teach it to me? Or if happens Leo read this post can you make a video for that specific topic? I want to be informed of every details of it . I read some of your comments in the past that you practice using it with your concise speaking ability. So you know the every specifics of doing it .

@John Iverson In Mastery he talks about visualization of the skill, So what that means is you picture in your mind yourself doing the skill. It would be helpful for you to tell me what specific skill you intend to develop for this technique , but ill give an example. Ive done this in my own life with success. So I wanted to do a Wallflip, (That is running up a wall and doing a backflip.) I would imagine in my mind every action ill take, so imagine myself running to the wall envisioning lifting my right leg up to the wall stepping, pushing upward, lifting my opposite leg, placing on the wall and pushing up and backwards with much force as I leaned backwards. Foot kicks off the wall as I pull my knees to my chest and hands tucked to my knees, which rotates my body and I land on both feet. I would repeat that in my mind as I stared at this wall, then actually imitated directly what i imagined and the skill was learned. Thats a more physically mechanical skill. However I assume the technique can apply to anything. The more variables the harder it may be to account for those factors but generally its pretty straight forward.

Focus on the solution, not the problem