Gabith

Is Karma real or it's a belief ?

32 posts in this topic

Sometimes I wonder if karma is real.
Thinking that when we'll die, we will reincarnate in a "better" life to progress more & more in order to become more easily "awake" in our life is a pleasant thing to believe.

But on another hand, if we're all, Oneness, it means that we will have to live throught every possible perspectives and so there is no such thing as karma ?
That one is more harsh to believe, but it sounds more true to me...

Edited by Gabith

1 minute ago, Ilan said:

Maybe explain a little bit ?

There's only one thing truly, and that thing does not judge etc. it just is. Judging and thinking is what appears to it.

Plus in total ego death all of your sins and good deeds vanish as there's no person anymore. So yeah.

Edited by RMQualtrough

i think it is real in  a sense it explains a lot of things that happen in this world. also, most of the highly enlightened spiritual masters either hint about karma or proclaim its' truth

On 8/13/2021 at 8:09 PM, Gabith said:

Thinking that when we'll die, we will reincarnate in a "better" life to progress more & more in order to become more easily "awake" in our life is a pleasant thing to believe.

But on another hand, if we're all, Oneness, it means that we will have to live throught every possible perspectives and so there is no such thing as karma ?

What hurts one may hurt the other.

If I hurt you and realize how much pain I have caused you, I too may feel that pain in my own way.

If I don't realize, I could continue to hurt you/others and continue to spread the pain and eventually I may not be able to "get away with" hurting people and face the pain I have created because I have hurt my own survival by hurting others - and then see how much hurt I have been doing.

A human eats a chicken and may feel nothing for the chicken despite the chicken's death.  The human that keeps on doing this and harming animals may end up harming its own survival and then feel pain as an unforseen or forseen byproduct.

The notion of karma to me is like that.  One won't necessarily get a "bad" outcome - one could still get a bad outcome even if they do everything "right".

If one does things to try to consider as many things as possible in the choices, they are trying to make the best outcome for everyone.  If they only try to make a good outcome for themselves at the expense of others, that could bite them in the butt because of how everything is connected and everything impacts everything.

Karma is the only thing that is real. Everything else is illusion. When you attain enlightenment your actions no longer create karma, and thus you will no longer be reborn; in this way you can be free from suffering

53 minutes ago, Ora said:

Karma is the only thing that is real. Everything else is illusion. When you attain enlightenment your actions no longer create karma, and thus you will no longer be reborn; in this way you can be free from suffering

Definitions of karma vary, so I don't want to get into disagreements based on misunderstanding each other. However I think the root meaning of karma is 'action'. So action leading to karma means something like cause & effect, or actions having consequences. 

Maybe karma is more a state of mind than a substance. If we see reality in terms of a sequence of cause & effect in time, then we 'have karma', we're living in samsara. When karma ends, time ends, no more birth/death, no separation between events. 

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

On 2021-8-13 at 4:39 PM, Gabith said:

Past lives is one thing, but saying there is no such thing as karma is the same as saying that apples don't fall to the ground.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

On 2021-8-13 at 4:39 PM, Gabith said:

Why not listen to people who talk about their past lives?

21:55 Jan Esmann talks about the time he discovered his past lives. Incredible stuff -- I recommend watching the entire interview. He has some really crazy stories. Absolutely shatters the materialist paradigm.

Edited by Carl-Richard

I have found karma each time I enter what I call void space, right outside of time itself you can see it.  You just have to face death in a real sense to see your karma.  It can be both positive and negative and you can change it all the time and it is built-in a feature of the game that we are playing.  People don't see this because they don't grapple with death, or maybe they have, but have not had an awakening into karma just yet.  But it is there.  For sure.
I have not a single doubt in my mind, I could look down the barrel of a gun and say, "Yes, I believe in karma." and know I would be okay.  Karma is very serious in that way.  You can See it in the environment the same way an awakening might illuminate things around you, so too does karma.  It is all the things that we don't notice in ourselves or can't face, those things can run very, very deep.  Human lives are deeply karmically impactful.  This is why we must take care to try and do our best and improve and evolve in this lifetime.  What goes around comes around, respect is so important.  I forget this one a lot.  When it comes to karma, I feel like a child just dipping their toe into the water.  It can have a strong paranormal quality to it.  It has a sense of humour about things.

It loves you, even while pummeling you.  Karma is one weird phenomenon. 

2 hours ago, snowyowl said:

Definitions of karma vary, so I don't want to get into disagreements based on misunderstanding each other. However I think the root meaning of karma is 'action'. So action leading to karma means something like cause & effect, or actions having consequences. 

Maybe karma is more a state of mind than a substance. If we see reality in terms of a sequence of cause & effect in time, then we 'have karma', we're living in samsara. When karma ends, time ends, no more birth/death, no separation between events. 

"action" is more of a yogic type of belief in karma. but karma as "volition" is more buddhist. That is why even the actions of fully enlightened beings do not create more karma; because there is no volition behind the actions.

On 2021-8-15 at 3:11 AM, Ora said:

"action" is more of a yogic type of belief in karma. but karma as "volition" is more buddhist. That is why even the actions of fully enlightened beings do not create more karma; because there is no volition behind the actions.

Enlightened beings still have Prarabdha karma – karma that they have to play out in this life.

Alan Watts said something along the lines of 

Karma=Doing

Karma is the mind. The mind is a product of past and future. For someone who master the mind, there is only the present moment. Brahman. Like maya is an illusion, soo is the mind. Past and future is an illusion as well, and soo karma is defeated. 

God is free of any karma. So in the absolute sense we can say that there is no karma. But in the relative there is defintely karma because every action leads to certain consequences.

Some politician who steals money from the goverment creates serious distress to people around him and ultimately he will have to suffer through his own devilry because of non-duality. Not even Buddha can escape karma.

I have often pondered about this myself, what if we all have to live out each person's and animal's life, if we are one thats one way how things might be happening. And maybe there's some progression to it.

Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.