ill

Neurotic Pride

4 posts in this topic

How to get rid of the neurotic pride and tyranny of shoulds and idealized self image that come with it? For those who are not familliar with the topic: http://plaza.ufl.edu/bjparis/ikhs/horney/fadiman/04_major3.html

Chapters entitled: The Idealized Image and the Search for Glory and The Pride System

Have you got any advice?

Have a good day.

Edited by ill

Shadow work , in other words be fucking honest with yourself. The idealistic image you have of yourself , the things that you don't like about yourself and the should-s you keep repeating. Let go of it , forget about Leo about enlightenment, being good and so on . If you behave narcissistically in a given situation, just observe , don't judge just let it go .You and your desires are one , they are not separate. 

I'll try to elaborate a bit on the topic to make it more clear so maybe you will have a better insight. From my own experience I can say that I made up that ideal self image to gain acceptance which I hadn't obtained as a child. Now there's a conflict - I cannot give up that image which creates a lot of suffering, unless I feel safe enough to do so. I've tried many times so far and it's like a constant battle. It always comes back. The reason for the existence of this ideal self lies in the need of acceptance. I assume that by following your advice and being consciouss of my neurosis, I would get it from the inside. Thanks to that, I wouldn't need external acceptance = wouldn't need the ideal self. Am I right? 

It's one thought versus another thought !!! If you pay more attention, you will notice that when you beat yourself up by saying "I should be a good person "  that is just a thought . It's like mind fighting itself. 

"I want to be a good person "

Why? 

"Because I like to feel accepted "

Why? 

And on and on ... be honest with yourself