7thLetter

I want to do Youtube videos but my recordings are cringe

16 posts in this topic

I've been doing videos for a while as a beginner, but I keep deleting them because I keep having brand new ideas for the type of videos I want to do.

This time I have a brand new idea I want to get into for my Youtube channel, I've already recorded 3-4 audio files but as I'm sitting here listening to and editing them, its just a bit cringe. In the moment as I was recording these files, it seemed like the things I said were good but listening to them again I honestly can say they're just not that great.

Am I falling into the trap of perfectionism? Should I just focus on quantity over quality in the beginning?

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

Your videos will be shit in the beginning. That’s part of the mastery process.

Get over it and keep pushing. Perfection should never be the goal. Consistent action should be the goal.

Onward. 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

@King Merk I just feel a bit of pressure cause I have some followers that I've personally interacted with a bit on Instagram and they're subscribed to me. I feel pressured to post good content for them, it would be easier though if I started from 0 subs.

These thoughts of mine aren't healthy though. Bunch of excuses.

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

19 minutes ago, RendHeaven said:

Cringe how?

The content of my videos, the things that I say. The videos are somewhat unrelated to spirituality but I listen to so much Leo that I end up throwing in some shit that sounds all spiritual in there, which is cringe.

@7thLetter why did you start the channel in the first place? To impress a few followers or to creatively express yourself?

Fuck what people think. And yea, fuck your excuses too.

Sing your song bro, and don’t let anything hold you back. 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

@King Merk :')

thanks for that

I made videos in England, where I was very into it, I went into this role of being a youtuber and a teacher of beatbox without really knowing how much I don't know about the field. So I was thinking that I was this perfect role model for the viewers, after a year I watched my videos and seen just plain agony and suffering projecting from my videos, also a lot of cringe moments...  I deleted the channel after that.

Though after I deleted it, as I was dissatisfied with the relation of how I perceiced myself and how I actually looked in the videos, I thought to myself, "Maybe I should start over" and I did.

Though it's been almost six months and get almost none views no subscribers no likes on my videos which is tough. It doesn't come easy this youtube thing.

But it is an outlet, it is a good way to express myself and to share my ideas, maybe entertain, help out someone who will be watching these videos in the future, if ofcourse I decide to keep it on youtube and if not - what the hell, I tried my best.

Public speaking is a deep skill.

You can join Toastmasters to practice, or just practice on your own.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I'd recommend looking at old videos of people who you see as really good public speakers, just to see their progression.  Even Leo's old videos are somewhat cringe.  Like your favorite podcasters or something.  This might help you get a more sober perspective and realization that we all, no matter how good we are now, probably came from a place of cringe. 

Also, maybe see if you can do like a critical breakdown of your videos.  Like do a "What I do well on" vs. "What I'd like to improve upon" analysis.  Even getting others' perspective can be great (ideally people who you trust and see as mature and willing to give honest, yet not sloppy/harmful feedback).   This might get you out of a shaming sort of mindset since you're really getting fine-grained in what your seeing.  LIke rather than "Oh fuck.... I suck.", being like "Ok.. so I think I suck.  Why? What precisely do I think I'm not good at?  What can I improve on?  What am I satisfied with?" 

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

cringe (v.)  1570s, "to bend or crouch, especially with servility or fear," variant of crenge, crenche "to bend"  https://www.etymonline.com/word/cringe

"Cringe" is a projection from others made from a place of fear. It's a boogeyman word. You give power to it. 

Look at Prince, Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, etc. All celebrated artists. Cringe or brilliant? Matter of opinion, preference, expectations and projection. As time goes by what used to be brilliant is sometimes seen as quite cringe and outdated, a funny meme. It's meaningless. If you want to improve, do that. Think deeper, redo it, revel in the practice. But don't use your own fear to shit all over your own brilliance. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Make a 5 minute video every day about any random topic that comes to mind, it could be a pencil, or some abstract philosophical topic. Just speak nonstop with low expectations (at least at first). Be enthusiastic about the topic, even if it feels fake at first. I did this pretty much every day for over two months and it made a big difference. 

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice, I'm going to continue with the recordings. 

If I find a specific part to be cringe, Audacity makes it easy to cut that part and re-do it.

My cringe video turned into a YouTube career in which I work a couple hours a week.

Post it!

Then keep optimizing.