Opo

A study on youtube far right radicalization.

40 posts in this topic

I remember Leo saying this in one of his videos. 

Radicalization is happening via YT. Whether it is caused by the algorithm is besides the point.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Far right radicalization is the greatest danger of this century and it's not only happening in America but sweeping across Europe and I'm observing this trend since past 3 years now. 

In America it has gotten worse especially after Trump's relentless campaigning. 

Trump is one of the top guys in this new wave of destructive mentality. He was like the mouthpiece for some time. 

Some other people include Tucker Carlson, Dave Rubin, Alex Jones and many more. 

Countries in Europe showing tremendous increase in FAR RIGHT EXTREMISM - UK, FRANCE, GERMANY, SWEDEN, HUNGARY, POLAND. 

There is a ton of Far right Grooming. 

YouTube is playing a big role in this. 

But not the algorithm. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

I was once radicalized by the Far Right directly through YouTube. 

I'm a live example for that even when I'm not living in a Western country, goes to show how far YouTube can go into radicalizing people even across off shores.

This was back in 2016/2017 before joining this forum. 

I got out of it eventually and got de-radicalized by my ex American boyfriend who slowly dragged me out of it and deprogrammed me. 

I'm grateful to him to  this day and glad that he took me out of it.. It was a dangerous ideology I was mired in. 

I was massively ashamed and embarrassed. 

I can't even go into details of it. I feel very guilted and it takes a ton of honesty to open up about it. 

Yet, I had massive growth mentally and spiritually once I outgrew the whole Radicalization. 

It was the worst phase of my life. It made me so guilty and regretful. I still feel ashamed of how I used to think in those days. It's the most terrible thing that happened to me and that guy was absolutely responsible for it. 

Edited by Preety_India

I can tell you that far right radicalization is the worst thing that can happen to you. 

I felt guilty for a very long time. It was like a cult and the guy running this far right American cult was present on YouTube and using YouTube as a megaphone to brainwash people.. 

I cried for almost a year and felt very ashamed and almost had a mental breakdown. It was a crisis. 

This thing is more tragic and evil than you can imagine. It's a cancer. They say liberalism is a cancer. But in reality it's the Far Right, that's the cancer of modern times

Since then, I feel much better that I left that YouTube American Radical. He is a Californian. I won't say his name but he is a very strong Far Right Radical guy. 

And he used a ton of emotional language to brainwash his viewers and I got Sucked into it. 

It's the most toxic thing that can happen to you. 

He was banned on YouTube multiple times. For radical content mostly. 

Edited by Preety_India

Radicalization also happens on the left via YT.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Just now, Leo Gura said:

Radicalization also happens on the left via YT.

Umm, you have to agree that far right radicalization is far far worse than left radicalization? 

Do you? 

@Leo Gura Do you have any ideas on how to improve the situation? 

I wish they could do something like Twitter and put the text over the screen saying that this is inaccurate. 

@Preety_India Congrats on growing out of it.

I have some family members that are down the hole and they just seem so sad. If you have any tips I'd appreciate it. 

Edited by Opo

46 minutes ago, Opo said:

@Leo Gura 

@Preety_India Congrats on growing out of it.

I have some family members that are down the hole and they just seem so sad. If you have any tips I'd appreciate it. 

In my case, it was my ex American boyfriend who did it for me. He was a white guy. Far right radicalization involves a lot of white supremacist stuff. I didn't know so much about white supremacy back then. He kinda introduced me to what it meant. And then he basically exposed who Trump really was. 

I used to assume up until that point that Trump was a good guy. Because I didn't know much about American politics. 

He introduced me to American politics (obviously because he is American) but he is quite intelligent, he knew a lot of stuff about American politics and he was quite passionate about it and he basically explained to me how Trump was a con artist and how Americans were being brainwashed by him. That's when my eyes opened to the truth about Trump. 

I'll call it De-Trumpitization. That's where deradicalization begins. You realize how Trump and cronies are running this game for personal gains and that pretty much sums up the whole Far right Propaganda. It's a money maker and helps make money quickly. 

You follow the money trail and realize that the whole thing is a set up. Not only is it Toxic because it feeds into fear and paranoia and targets our core  survival needs in a negative way so that we easily get triggered and jump into action out of fear, it is also a very smooth way of making money quickly, look at how  Alex Jones profited from this. 

I would say it is the best example of a Toxic Life Purpose 101.

Some things you can do to deprogramming for your family members 

• Make them disconnect from far right media and channels like Tucker Carlson, Fox news. 
  • Make them understand the money trail behind this ideology 
  • Make them understand that most claims are bogus and fed by paranoia 
  • Show them examples of White Supremacist crimes like New Zealand mosque attack 
  • Give them historical context of how White Supremacy has destroyed things example Hitler and Colonialism. 
  • Make them understand that this toxic hate will make them sad and miserable 
  • Show them the path to spirituality and Oneness. 
  • Let them connect to nature. Nature is the best teacher 
  • Challenge their beliefs and claims. Ask them what is the worst thing that can happen. Ask them how much of it is actually real and how much is just hypothetical speculation. 
  • Many people who get brainwashed give into this because of lack of critical thinking skills and nuances. Engage them in a debate where you ask them to state nuances to their generalizations and stereotypes. Absolutism is very much a big culprit in such radicalization, that is lack of nuance. Challenge their absolutism. 
  • Show them the direct link between radicalization and violence 
  • Tell them to develop and cultivate kindness and harmony through metta meditation. Resources are available online for this meditation technique. 
  • Show them how short sighted they are in their mentality 
  • Give them legit sources like the Capitol Attack and show them their ignorance 

It's basically a "getting your head out of the sand" process. 

Edited by Preety_India

I noticed here people listen to mostly via YouTube to domestic famous right leaning academics (historians, economists, theologians and other humanities experts of sort), famous public figures with right-wing views and religious authorities that no matter what content they create they dabble unavoidably into politics and ideology of how society here should be organized and what the culture should be like. Its always some sort of nationalism first and most of the people listen to these figures on the biggest and tons of different domestic podcasts here on YouTube (where they like Joe Rogan invite all sorts of guests but I would say mostly these aforementioned voices stick out) and on their YouTube channels as authorities to inform their audience on their views on and of their values of mostly of politics here, history and of the society they live in and of their life. Its a very insular and hermetic YouTube political media consumption culture here, focusing mostly on domestic and regional issues but with nonetheless careful observations, commentaries and opinions on the changes in geopolitical situation in the world in relation to what it means to this country and also how do changes on the international political stage affect politics and politicians here (for example people here carefully watched the the last American elections and had favoritisms with the candidates in terms of their historical public records, comments and opinions on this country and their involvement with it in the past - and view them and feel about them almost exclusively through that lense of the opinions and actions towards their country, while their effect on other people and nations beside them mostly don't matter to them - ethnocentrism) has the potential, in my opinion, to radicalize people around certain pressing issues, amongst the plethora already existing, in the country and regionally. 

It plays well also into a certain extent the mainstream media narrative here that is tightly controlled and regulated around also some certain perceived existential national issues and the state of politics here in generally. 

So it's already a complex web of sorts mutually reinforcing some of its shared elements to another (people who watch politically controlled cable TV channels and to inform their preexisting right-wing leanings and biases and people who watch independent content creators and media entertainment entrepreneurs on their YouTube channels and podcasts to inform their preexisting right-wing views and biases, not all of them but most of them here I would reckon) when I see or am informed about the media consumption culture here among different people that's basically telling the same one old narrative and story in different styles and in different forms. 

Edited by Milos Uzelac

"Keep your eye on the ball. " - Michael Brooks 

28 minutes ago, Preety_India said:
  • Make them disconnect from far right media and channels like Tucker Carlson, Fox news. 

Hahaha

Here in the west that would be crossing a line. 

It's interesting how different our cultures are. I would never even think that.

• Make them understand the money trail behind this ideology 

Yea this might work. 

• Show them examples of White Supremacist crimes like New Zealand mosque attack 

Damn I forgot about that. 

• Let them connect to nature. Nature is the best teacher 

This is a good one. Especially for them. 

• Challenge their beliefs and claims. Ask them what is the worst thing that can happen. Ask them how much of it is actually real and how much is just hypothetical speculation. 
  • Many people who get brainwashed give into this because of lack of critical thinking skills and nuances. Engage them in a debate where you ask them to state nuances to their generalizations and stereotypes. Absolutism is very much a big culprit in such radicalization, that is lack of nuance. Challenge their absolutism. 

I feel shitty when I debate someone. 

•  Give them legit sources like the Capitol Attack and show them their ignorance 

I did this and it worked better than I thought it would. 

Oh and I don't think that Alex is that to the right. 

2 minutes ago, Opo said:

Oh and I don't think that Alex is that to the right. 

Me too. He is not too "far right" yet he somewhat contributes to the rhetoric by constantly blowing their Trumpets. 

1 hour ago, Opo said:

@Leo Gura 

Accidental quoting 

@Preety_India 

•  

2 hours ago, Preety_India said:

I was once radicalized by the Far Right directly through YouTube. 

I'm a live example for that even when I'm not living in a Western country, goes to show how far YouTube can go into radicalizing people even across off shores.

This was back in 2016/2017 before joining this forum. 

I used to watch Sargon of Akkad, the old Amazing Atheist, Devon Tracey (Atheism-is-unstoppable), Thunderf00t etc. for their debunking SJWs/feminists/theists content, and luckily enough, I didn't go further down the alt-right pipeline than that. While in that bubble, I distinctly remember having a moment of clarity, thinking "What if the other side is actually right? What if I'm actually being insensitive?". I think my heart was already in the right place, just that my mind was getting stuck.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Carl-Richard  My heart was in the right place too. But God works in mysterious ways. We have to taste certain things to come to the truth. It won't be worth it, if we remained docile and never learned what lies on the other side of tracks. So such experiences, although painful, make us even more refined than before. It's a process of maturity

Those who are already in the right place have to walk on fire to get to remain firmly in the right place. 

He is a famous YouTuber but he is banned right now and I'm glad his content was finally taken down after so many years. 

1 hour ago, Opo said:

Hahaha

It's interesting how different our cultures are. I would never even think that.

Thank you for being PC about it. You didn't have to.

As someone who has seen both cultures, I can confirm that the fact of the matter is that it is crossing a line.

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

2 hours ago, Opo said:

What does this mean? 

I really didn't get it. 

2 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

I used to watch Sargon of Akkad, the old Amazing Atheist, Devon Tracey (Atheism-is-unstoppable), Thunderf00t etc. for their debunking SJWs/feminists/theists content, and luckily enough, I didn't go further down the alt-right pipeline than that. While in that bubble, I distinctly remember having a moment of clarity, thinking "What if the other side is actually right? What if I'm actually being insensitive?". I think my heart was already in the right place, just that my mind was getting stuck.

I was a bit further down the pipeline. I remember finding racist humor very funny.

My moment of clarity was (I don't remember the content but I do the structure) when I used the fact that was true on it's own to imply something bigger and it turned out that the fact was false from the bigger picture. 

So for an example I never cared about this but it's what first came to me. 

One of those debate fucks I think Charlie Kirk talked to the students and said that immigrants commit double the crimes of natives in some city implying that all immigrants are committing a lot more crimes and that they should not be allowed into the country. Turns out that immigrants commit less crimes than natives if you look at the whole country so all that other shit is wrong. 

@Preety_India Did you fall for it because they didn't explicitly talk about colors? 

4 hours ago, Preety_India said:

I feel very guilted and it takes a ton of honesty to open up about it. 

Please don't guilt trip yourself. No one got hurt and I don't think that it's possible that you can go through you childhood without holding any stupid beliefs.  

32 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

What does this mean? 

I really didn't get it. 

It means that it's considered disrespectful.

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

3 minutes ago, Opo said:

I was a bit further down the pipeline. I remember finding racist humor very funny.

My moment of clarity was (I don't remember the content but I do the structure) when I used the fact that was true on it's own to imply something bigger and it turned out that the fact was false from the bigger picture. 

So for an example I never cared about this but it's what first came to me. 

One of those debate fucks I think Charlie Kirk talked to the students and said that immigrants commit double the crimes of natives in some city implying that all immigrants are committing a lot more crimes and that they should not be allowed into the country. Turns out that immigrants commit less crimes than natives if you look at the whole country so all that other shit is wrong. 

@Preety_India Did you fall for it because they didn't explicitly talk about colors? 

Please don't guilt trip yourself. No one got hurt and I don't think that it's possible that you can go through you childhood without holding any stupid beliefs.  

I wasn't really a child. I was an adult when this happened. I was following this channel around 2017. 

The YouTuber explicitly talked about colors. He was specifically targeting skin color. 

I had some racist beliefs back then and he played into those. 

4 minutes ago, Parththakkar12 said:

It means that it's considered disrespectful.

I wasn't asking about that. I was asking what was considered to be disrespectful. I did not understand the context.