Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Human Mint

Daily quota of aminoacids to gain muscles

9 posts in this topic

I want to gain muscles but, can I reach the daily necessary amount of aminoacids without supplementing it? Just geting it from legumes and meat

Optimal is at least 100g a day of protein from animal sources, which have all essential amino acids. 120 would be better; less than 80 is not good — unless you really don’t care about health.

There is certainly no need to supplement but whey protein can help you meet the quota. As far as aminos being in an optimal balance, glycine can help with this — it’s in gelatin, collagen, and collagenous meats, and it can be eaten plain as it’s basically a calorie free sweetener.

Some protein sources are a bit unbalanced in their AA profile. Even though animal protein is less likely to be imbalanced than plant, they still can be. Particularly whey protein (high cysteine) and pork (high methionine).

Edited by The0Self

@Human Mint What's your weight? How often do you exercise? How long are the sessions? Are you following any particular diet module? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

9 hours ago, Michael569 said:

What's your weight? How often do you exercise? How long are the sessions? Are you following any particular diet module? 

@Michael569

-55kg

-2 times a week, 30-40 minutes long

-No, I plan to start intermitent fasting and eat at least 2500 calories. What I eat more often is a soup made of veggies (brocoli, sweet potato, onions, bell peppers, tomato sauce), integral rice and legumes. Then I want to add a breakfast and will stick to 3 meals a day: breakfast, the soup and finally something else like scrambled eggs with vegetables

@Human Mint

You should totally be fine with getting up to 80g of protein per day, possibly even less than that. Twice a week is what would be considered light-to-moderate so I wouldn't see the need to go above 1.4g/kg of protein/bodyweight. But you can always invest into some good quality protein powder as a last resort if you'd like. 

I'm not sure I'd do IF if your overall goal is muscle gain and you are already struggling to eat enough protein. However if you can fit 2,500 in 2 meals so be it. You may end up super stuffed thou :D. For the goal of weight gain and hypertrophy, 3 main meals per day would be preferable. 

Achieving 80g/day is totally doable on mostly vegetarian diet. You can hide a lot of red and yellow lentils in meals. I don't know if tempeh is available to you but don't forget about that and tofu as another excellent complete source. 

I wouldn't worry about complete or incomplete protein sources. That argument dies once the person eats a variety of different foods. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I am thinking in doing a 16-8 hours IF, so 8 hours is quite good for 3 meals. Maybe the 2 meals later on, couse it's a big change.

Really my main objective is a good overall health, and the IF is very promising. So the thing is to try it and see if I can gain muscles on top of that