Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Preety_India

Should your life purpose always be connected with money?

25 posts in this topic

Should your life purpose always be connected with generating or making money?

Can it be something that you don't wish to make money out of like charitable work?

Can this be considered a life purpose if you can't make money off of it or if you don't want to make money out of it ?

Or is this too naive as an endeavour?

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Life purpose does not work in india.in indianif u either be a software professional or a governement employee or u will die in poverty.if u contemplate on george leonard for many years,what u realise is that u can love any work,u can have satisfaction with any work,every work is as good and satisfaction as ur dream job ,every work has a learning curve and once u aquire skills u will be in a flow state

Hence do not pursue life purpose.pursue a non cancerous,decent job.

@asifarahim No, there if far more nuance here.

@Preety_India Yes, you can make your life purpose something charitable. But! You NEED money to live. So, really focus on honing the craft of mastering life in general. Once you are doing well financially, socially, etc you can build a powerful life purpose. But, each part of the world has it's own challenges. I don't know india well, but know you will have a harder time. You can donate some of your time, but you really want to get paid. Nothing wrong with being paid for your contribution to man kind. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@asifarahim I don't believe in such limits on my soul.. I know it's a third world country but I have defied social norms before. I completed my degree despite my social anxiety and multiple disorders, health challenges and a notorious family. 

I pushed the envelope as far as I could and I'll keep pushing all my life. 

My dreams are big even if I'm a small person with little ability. 

If we continue thinking like 99% of the population then we can't bring change or even begin to expect change. 

@Thought Art  thank you for the encouragement. I need to blend pragmatism and my dreams. 

If u dive deep into spirituality it will destroy your lifepurpose.because every lp need u to work 12+ hours hence u do not have time for doing spirituality,doing self help etc which is not worth it.

5 hours ago, Preety_India said:

Can it be something that you don't wish to make money out of like charitable work?

@Preety_India  How will you do charity without making money?

Two key components of Life Purpose:

1. The satisfaction of creative contribution/impact and sharing your greatest gifts with the world. On top of this the element of Mastery as well.

2. Personal Meaning.

In charity work usually, both are missing.

Like planting trees, distribution of clothes, and donating time in a soup kitchen, etc. are all good but people are not really passionate about it or have some personal meaning attached to it. Those activities don't meet the first criteria above as well. 

Edited by captainamerica

@asifarahim you are too negative. 

Spirituality is the greatest gift. Don't underestimate it. 

2 minutes ago, captainamerica said:

@Preety_India  How will you do charity without making money?

Two key components of Life Purpose:

1. The satisfaction of creative contribution/impact and sharing your greatest gifts with the world gives you. On top of this the element of Mastery as well.

2. Personal Meaning.

In charity work usually, both are missing.

Like planting trees, distribution of clothes, and donating time in a soup kitchen, etc. are all good but people are not really passionate about it or have some personal meaning attached to it. Those activities don't meet the first criteria above as well. 

Charity happens by opening fund or joining or organizations that already act like funds. 

9 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

Charity happens by opening fund or joining or organizations that already act like funds. 

@Preety_India Please elaborate and be specific. Joining again requires making an income. That part is not transcended just by joining an organization. They will pay you. 

What do you exactly mean by opening a fund?

Why will someone give you money if you are opening a fund? That requires making money. Learning business strategy, marketing, persuasion, solving problems in the market etc. Some Non-profits require even more business sense to operate than an avg. business, so... You don't leave the market by opening a fund, the work is still done within it.

6 hours ago, Preety_India said:

LP is focused on Meaning, Contribution, Mastery, and Growth. Strategy and Money are optimized for those and for living well.

Is there a reason you find eliminating money appealing or is it a means to an end?

Edited by captainamerica

2 minutes ago, captainamerica said:

@Preety_India Please elaborate and be specific. Joining again requires making an income. That part is not transcended just by joining an organization. They will pay you. 

What do you exactly mean by opening a fund?

Why will someone give you money if you are opening a fund? That requires making money. Learning business strategy, marketing, persuasion, solving problems in the market etc. Some Non-profits require even more business sense to operate than an avg. business, so...

These are specifics that will need to be worked on. Also this is not a one man's job. If I'm going to be involved in something like this, I'll most likely need to be a part of a team of people 

Have you heard about startups and how they get funded? They aren't doing all the work. The work is distributed between different departments. There are people who find them like venture capitalism.. 

I can't do it all alone but being a part of it and using it as a launchpad for my charity work is something I can do.

Source of income? That depends on how I want it. I can either work free or get paid, both could be my choice. 

6 minutes ago, captainamerica said:

That requires making money. Learning business strategy, marketing, persuasion, solving problems in the market etc. Some Non-profits require even more business sense to operate than an avg. business, so... You don't leave the market by opening a fund, the work is still done within it.

Case in point.

You gotta look at this beneath the surface.

Charity is a stage green fallacy.u will evove beyond charity at some point.then u will lose intrest in this.

2 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

Source of income? That depends on how I want it. I can either work free or get paid, both could be my choice. 

You may choose to not get paid. 

But the skills and personal responsibility relating to generation or making money are basically the same nonetheless. 

This may be minimized somewhat by living frugally, but even then it basically remains the same.

If you minimize it too much by living too frugally it may look like this need is transcended but in doing so basically all of LP is destroyed so that misses the point anyways.

6 hours ago, Preety_India said:

Would you like to give an example of such an LP? Maybe I can understand it better from that.

19 minutes ago, captainamerica said:

But the skills and personal responsibility relating to generation or making money are basically the same nonetheless. 

This may be minimized somewhat by living frugally, but even then it basically remains the same.

If you minimize it too much by living too frugally it may look like this need is transcended but in doing so basically all of LP is destroyed so that misses the point anyways.

Think of it like this.

In choosing not to get paid you are choosing to donate what you earn. (To the organization allowing it to function or to the people who benefit from the organisation) the personal responsibility/skills/mindet etc. are not transcended. The earning is not transcended. You are just donating it basically. 

You can try applying for a job (even at a Non-profit) telling them you will work for free. It is specifically, for this reason, they will not hire you. People who hit employers/organizations telling them they will work for free usually cost more than the paid position itself due to losses in efficiency, personal responsibility, productivity(money), etc. This is a nice experiment, do try it. ;)

It is precisely for this reason that many potential Mentor-Mentee relationships fail as well, because of this misconception of the newbie when he tells the mentor that he will work for "free". The Mentor or the experienced person knows how much will "free" actually cost him or his organisation or his investors or various other stakeholders.

Edited by captainamerica

44 minutes ago, asifarahim said:

If u dive deep into spirituality it will destroy your lifepurpose.because every lp need u to work 12+ hours hence u do not have time for doing spirituality,doing self help etc which is not worth it.

This is very true actually. It's starting to be a big dillema for me, how to put it all together, so that I can pursue spirituality and self help stuff, and still work on my LP 8 - 12 hours a day. Really need to use every second of the day.

If you think about it, the only reason Leo could afford to go this deep into spirituality, is he made it his life purphose. So, if your future job doesn't have anything to do with it, it's gonna be a problem.

@Peter Miklisfor me spirituality takes precedence over LP

43 minutes ago, asifarahim said:

Charity is a stage green fallacy.u will evove beyond charity at some point.then u will lose intrest in this.

How is it a fallacy? 

Please explain? 

I mean charity is a stage greene thing.lifepurpose is done to make money.how will u make money from charity without getting corrupt.its not possible

@Peter Miklis all spiritual masters sacrifice wordly life for spirituality.there is no way life purpose is more meaningful than learning selfhelp and spirituality.

@asifarahim I thought life purpose was for purpose. 

@Preety_India the thing is the purpose u feel meaningful today become meaningless and garbage after 3-4 years as u grow.personaly this happened to me.the life purpose i choose 3 years ago now feel meaningless to me.if i follow that life purpose then i will be in a lot of suffering